What Happens Next

A talk on dealing with accidents and medical emergencies at the flying field

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Fry09/02/2018 19:38:07
2096 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by David Mellor on 09/02/2018 19:15:56:

If one has a sense of grandeur then it is as well to have company during one's final moments in order to record one's last words.

Perhaps the most fitting to this thread might be those of Denis Diderot - French philosopher who expired July 1784.

He said (in French, naturellement) "But how the devil do you think this could harm me?"

crying

David Mellor09/02/2018 19:39:44
347 forum posts
82 photos

Exactly.

Don Fry09/02/2018 19:41:13
2096 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by David Mellor on 09/02/2018 19:15:56:

If one has a sense of grandeur then it is as well to have company during one's final moments in order to record one's last words.

Perhaps the most fitting to this thread might be those of Denis Diderot - French philosopher who expired July 1784.

He said (in French, naturellement) "But how the devil do you think this could harm me?"

crying

Geoff Sleath09/02/2018 19:58:17
2273 forum posts
174 photos

I sometimes wonder how, in the days before mobile phones were a common accessory (or even any more than the comic strip cop Dick Tracy's 2 way wrist radio) I dared to wander far and wide either alone or with a single companion off road motor or pedal cycling or even just walking.

Geoff

Don Fry09/02/2018 20:01:31
2096 forum posts
26 photos

Don't know. Don't own one.

Geoff Jackson09/02/2018 21:23:42
144 forum posts
3 photos

Carry 3 or 4 triangular bandages. My 1st paramedic aid trainer taught me these can be used on nearly all physical in juries. Very versatile and cheap. cardiac stuff different - needs rapid assistance.

Richard Parnham09/02/2018 21:35:32
10 forum posts
2 photos

For those with smart phones, both St Johns and Red Cross have first aid apps.

john stones 109/02/2018 21:50:12
9069 forum posts
1399 photos

I remember doing my training at pit, first aid included giving kiss of life to Lucy (blow up doll) I dread the thought of having to give one of our members it, think I'll star carrying a big paper bag, ain't so pretty myself mind. face 1

onetenor09/02/2018 22:24:07
1477 forum posts

I have never flown alone except for once with a KK Cub glider. That being a given I have never had an accident either thank god but the point is I could have had but had someone was with me. We were all first aiders, Many of us very advanced. But there always were 2 of us at least . Not by arrangement but as mates we were always calling for each other to fly or fish or cycle. Often combining one or the other.smiley It worked well for us

David Mellor10/02/2018 09:47:36
347 forum posts
82 photos

I fly alone in the lake district where I live. I slope soar on fells miles from the nearest village. If anything untoward happened to me then a "situation" might soon develop.

I have had offshore-survival and first aid training, though that was decades ago. It does install a lot of common sense, however, and a sense of the importance of self-reliance. Taking some very basic survival gear is important - including a good knife to cut up clothing to stuff into and/or tie off wounds. Mobile signals are patchy.

The biggest risks that I think I face are incapacitation (from heart attack or fall-injury) and subsequent hypothermia. The solution, as ever when outdoors, is to leave information with a dependable person as to location and return times and take basic kit with you.

My other interests before becoming a bit decrepit have included rock climbing, skiing, scuba diving, caving and sailing. In all these activities there has to be an acceptance of, and coming to terms with, the risks associated. Annually, all of these activities see some undesirable level of death and serious injury.

To the best of my knowledge (happy to be corrected) the annual rates of death and serious injury (limb loss, sight loss etc) in flying model airplanes is zero to BMFA members.

Life is short - enjoy what you do while you can. There is an old adage that may help: "if you think you can do it, you are right, if you think you can't do it you are right". What do you think?

john stones 110/02/2018 10:14:34
9069 forum posts
1399 photos

I agree, you get one go at life, be sensible ish wink and go enjoy it.

J D 810/02/2018 10:33:28
728 forum posts
51 photos

In my 28 years sevice as a HM coastguard rescue officer I was involved in the rescue/recovery of many casualties in out of the way places. Many of these started with a search to find said casualty.

The advent of mobile phones was a great help But as David says in his [good advice] post coverage can be patchy.

One bit of kit I would allways recomend anyone carry would be a torch,even a small one can be seen from some distance by rescuers and one thing for sure sooner or later it will get dark.

Many phones have a torch built in these days but even if not the screen its self is a brite source, HM Coastguard helo crews say that with their low light head sets they can spot one from up to five miles away.

Phil 910/02/2018 10:37:03
4157 forum posts
198 photos

Just a warning about age first aid training. A course you done donkeys' ago is not sufficient. It is important you keep up to date and practiced or you may end up doing more harm than good if the worst should happen

flytilbroke12/02/2018 22:40:45
2083 forum posts
5 photos

I would have seldom got to do anything if I had to wait for, or arrange for company. I live in the Scottish Highlands and have Walked the hills, shore fished the Lochs and seashores, as well as afloat by boat. I have been vermin and wildfowl shooting over much of the terrain. I have and still do, drive on at times, little used roads.
I would say,, enjoy life, do not be afraid 'cos someone else is. They talk I think, from a certain level of inability to function alone.

I have had injuries,, I still functioned. A very useful tip for bleeding wounds, wrap firmly in CLEAN plastic film or bags then compress as is advised by First Aid practice. Very good for keeping fibres from causing problems, also does not wick blood away so helping coagulation. I always have some in my First Aid kit/s.

David Mellor13/02/2018 09:24:09
347 forum posts
82 photos

Well said.

Ron Gray13/02/2018 11:15:17
644 forum posts
186 photos

I think the most sensible thing that has been said here is that if alone tell someone where you are going and when you are expecting to return. I used to do that when windsurfing, although I never used to like going out on my own, not as much fun!

The Wright Stuff13/02/2018 11:53:40
1012 forum posts
215 photos

Ron, I'm afraid I don't agree. Yes, it's important to tell someone where you are, and when you will return, and in watersports / hiking / climbing, it is very necessary. However, for model flying, I'm not sure I would have an accurate enough return time for it to be my main hope of survival! What if I plan to fly for 4 hours, and I cut off my fingers while starting the engine for my first flight?

For the types of injuries we are thinking about at the flying field, I still think that the self-help aspect is MUCH more important than sitting around expecting help to come to you.

For me, the most sensible things that have been suggested here with reference to flying alone are:

1. Mobile phone: push buttons not touchscreen is a handy comment.
  2. Know where you are (GPS coordinates).
  3. Stay calm.
  4. Have large bandages, and cable ties and tape with which to use them.

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 13/02/2018 11:55:14

Brian Spearing13/02/2018 12:16:12
37 forum posts

If I hadn’t had my mobile phone with me while walking alone along a local track a month ago I wouldn’t be writing this (or anything else) now. My aorta, or at least its lining, went pop without warning. I phoned my wife who then was able to tell the ambulance people exactly how to reach me. An operation at Papworth followed soon after, and I’m still here.

David Mellor13/02/2018 12:57:49
347 forum posts
82 photos

@The Wright Stuff....

You might be taking the comment somewhat out of context.

The actual context was, in essence, fell walking which is what I do solo when I go slope soaring. As none of my slopers have propellers there is no prospect of losing any fingers. Also, mobile phone signal varies between none at all and patchy at best.

The reason I mention it is not to be pernickety, but to emphasise that the balance of risks that each of us accepts varies according to actual circumstance. I don't think there is any chance that anyone could lose all 4 fingers of one hand, though.......?

The Wright Stuff13/02/2018 13:27:39
1012 forum posts
215 photos
Posted by David Mellor on 13/02/2018 12:57:49:

@The Wright Stuff....

You might be taking the comment somewhat out of context.

I assumed the context was as per the OP in the traditional sense! cheeky

The reason I mention it is not to be pernickety, but to emphasise that the balance of risks that each of us accepts varies according to actual circumstance.

But yes, I can't disagree with that! smiley

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 13/02/2018 13:28:12

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues