Forum sponsored by CML

Flummoxed again .... not difficult I know

DualSky ProgCard not functioning

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Smith 103/02/2018 11:21:46
1884 forum posts
617 photos

I decided to buy this ProgCard to check the basic settings on my DualSky Xcontroller BA OPTO ESC.

fullsizeoutput_abb.jpeg

Simple enough instructions? Yup.

fullsizeoutput_abc.jpeg

Connections easy? Yup.

fullsizeoutput_abd.jpegSo whats the problem then?

Adrian Smith 103/02/2018 11:41:50
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Given that it's the 60cc GA6000.0 motor this is for I thought it interesting to click through the factory settings.

Mainly, it was the Timing Mode I was interested in. The 3 settings are Low (0), Medium (10) and High (20) with factory default as Medium. Recommendations are for Low timing for 2 pole motors, Medium 6 poles and above. For higher speed and larger outrunner brushless, High timing could be used. The motor is 28 poles so may be High setting more appropriate. Easy then? Nope.

Connections as per the instructions and diagram were made and double checked. Given it is an Opto ESC it is not clear whether the RX needs to be LIVE too. In any event live or not the end result was the same. The idea is when power is made to the card (via 4-6v battery, in my case a Nimh 6v job) the user can scroll through the settings (clockwise I imagine) using the SELECT button at the bottom of the ESC.

When the card has power all that happens is there is a led RED light that comes on by the DGM flag which you should be able to move around the card (I guess) to check the settings via SELECT button. Well no amount of pressing SELECT changes the position of the led light around the card. Rechecked connections, but still the same result. I am not even sure it should red anyway as there are no real instructions. By the way DGM setting is defaulted at Governor Mode OFF. All the manual sheet says is "when the Governor mode is On, throttle journey means motor RPM, not power output". No idea what that means in Chinglish - not a clue. So no further forward as I am not sure the card works. Incidentally the Corvus flies fine with this set up, but wondered if fine tuning is required. Any ideas? Thanks. thinking

Denis Watkins03/02/2018 11:42:15
2671 forum posts
136 photos

Battery port needs both plus and minus?

Is the extra unconnected plug for your Tx throttle control?

Sorry Ade, you posted while I was typing, I will read on

More poles, higher timing yes

Edited By Denis Watkins on 03/02/2018 11:52:24

Adrian Smith 103/02/2018 11:50:43
1884 forum posts
617 photos

If I understand you correctly, Denis, The battery port on the ESC takes the standard plug on the Nimh battery + and -

and looking at the schematic diagram there is only one way to plug it in the ESC, which I have done The extra unconnected plug in the diagram is the connection to the TX throttle channel. This I have left in the RX both with the RX connected and unconnected to the RX battery pack (which is the same as the throttle plug being take out of the RX). So not sure what to do next.

Denis Watkins03/02/2018 11:58:44
2671 forum posts
136 photos

The only mix up of leads that could be made, that I can see are the ESC program lead, being plugged into the receiver mistakenly

You are right, the battery power plugs one way

But the receiver lead may be in the card, and the card lead in the receiver

Adrian Smith 103/02/2018 12:46:21
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Mmmmmm ..... that would be weird, Denis. The shorter lead from the ESC has a label marked ProgCard so I assumed it should go in the card first. That said the diagram seems to show the shorter lead going in to the ESC ( the longer one is into the RX throttle CH as normal). I wonder what harm it can do if I put programming lead in the RX throttle channel and put the throttle lead into the ProgCard. I could wipe out a few hundred quids worth internal kit!

Adrian Smith 103/02/2018 12:48:37
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Ah... I see what you mean, Denis. The Prog lead from the ESC has been correctly put in the ProgCard. The throttle lead has always stayed in the RX channel which ever way I tried it..

Adrian Smith 104/02/2018 12:12:47
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Having had another go this morning at trying to get the ProgCard to function and failing miserably, it is going to go back to Kings Lynn Models for them to test. In short it has never worked.

Talking of duff purchases from KLM, I bought this ProgCard plus unit as an alternative.

fullsizeoutput_abe.jpegAll well and good, but I need a USB lead with this type of plug that goes into the unit.

fullsizeoutput_ac0.jpegAnybody seen one of them before and where can I get one??

Obviously, the other end of the lead is a standard plug like this.

fullsizeoutput_ac1.jpeg Not having much luck am I? sad

Denis Watkins04/02/2018 13:11:24
2671 forum posts
136 photos

Is it one of these

**LINK**

Adrian Smith 104/02/2018 13:26:15
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Yup, Denis that looks like the one thanks matey.

Next hurdle to jump which failed miserably. Decided to download the driver for the latest firmware from Dualsky. No chance there as only supported by Microsoft Windows NOT Apple OS imac. Not stated anywhere on any website where these things are for sale. Not even on Dualsky - that is not until you try to run it!! Grrrrrrrrrr ...... teeth teeth crying

Denis Watkins04/02/2018 13:45:30
2671 forum posts
136 photos

Not to be defeated yet Adrian

I cannot copy and link this as it is a PDF and just loads on my tablet

But Google BA opto ESC etc, and get PDF beep beep instructions

For normal transmitter stick beep beep beep settings

The timing can be set from 6 short beeps but you need to read it

Ron Gray04/02/2018 14:40:16
822 forum posts
210 photos

Adrian, I may have missed it on your post and forgive me if I'm over simplifying things. Whilst I haven't got a Dualsky programming card I do have others of a similar nature, each of them requires the user to select which option needs to be changed by clicking on them on the card. e..g click on the words 'Start Mode'. Once selected they light up and then you change the settings by clicking the Select button. As I said, I'm not sure if that is what you have been doing and if so I apologise for 'teaching how to suck eggs' etc.

Adrian Smith 104/02/2018 15:41:16
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Denis,

Thanks for that. I did dig out my old laptop with Windows 10 on it and using the Chrome browser (the Microsoft Edge browser is utterly useless) , I managed eventually to download the DualSky firmware so I can use the USB Link Adaptor for PCs so that's a start. i will look at the PDF anyway as you suggest.

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion and simplify as much as you like, I am not proud! I think you may have a point there. I may have been clicking in the wrong place. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens and report back. yes

kc04/02/2018 16:00:14
5444 forum posts
161 photos

The programming card problem seemed very familiar to me although with another make - the fix was easy it was just as Ron Gray said.

Adrian Smith 105/02/2018 10:49:03
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Still no joy this morning. This is all I am getting after making the connections.

fullsizeoutput_ac2.jpegI have spoken to KLM and advised them I am sending it back for testing. The Select button does nothing and pressing the options squares results in the same just a red light and no movement in it.

Denis Watkins05/02/2018 10:52:34
2671 forum posts
136 photos

Near the CE mark, on the right

there is a fixed wing and an Heli box

Have you pressed the fixed wing box?

Adrian Smith 105/02/2018 15:03:25
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Yes, Denis I did do that I am pretty sure. Still it has gone back now for testing so will see what happens. If indeed it does work I will want to know why I can't get it to function. Thanks anyway.

Adrian Smith 106/02/2018 15:16:16
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Bit of progress - I think. I spoke to Dan at KLM who put the ProgCARD on test and making the connections as per the instructions (ESC lead, 4-6v nimh) the red LED showed only until the Lipo power source was connected and the card "lit up like a Christmas tree" after 4-5 seconds and adjustments could be made then. He did say the ESC he tested it on was not an Opto one though. That said the DualSky ESC I am using, which is an Opto version, features the ProgCARD in the manual so in theory it should work! Anyway the card is being sent back to me to see what happens again. Also Dan used a 4.8v battery pack on the card whereas I used a 6v one. The voltage stated in the manual is 4-6v for the card pack so that should be fine. Watch this space.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 06/02/2018 15:17:31

Adrian Smith 108/02/2018 15:19:55
1884 forum posts
617 photos

Well, had a eureka! moment this afternoon. I reconnected the ProgCARD but this time only using one 6S Lipo rather than the whole 12S set up. Well that solved it. After the connections were made, followed by a wait of 5 seconds or so, then the card lit up with all the lights in place. The only reason I tried that was Dan at KLM used a 3S Lipo when he tested the card/ESC so I got to thinking, for programming the 12S power source was too much. Anyway I have changed the timing to High given it is a 50-60cc equivalent motor (as per the manual) But Hey, I am not technical so the reason I got the card to work may not be the lower cell rating reason. I'll never know I guess. Anyway all sorted now! smiley

Adrian Smith 110/02/2018 11:43:55
1884 forum posts
617 photos

For those that like happy snappies here is a picture of what the ProgCARD should look like when looking at the settings.

fullsizeoutput_ac3.jpegSimple enough when you know how. Next out of interest I am going to try to find out how the ProgCARD plus unit works.

fullsizeoutput_abe.jpegOn the top left hand side there is a tiny switch above the "screen" icon (right graphic) and another icon that looks like a "paragraph" (left graphic). I assume the screen one is for when the unit is connected to the PC via a USB lead which I now have. This is for the port on the top left hand side. The port on the bottom left hand side which shows the + - and signal connections is presumably for the ESC plug. No instructions so I have no idea.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 10/02/2018 11:45:01

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues