Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

An Introduction to the PSSA 2018 Mass Build Project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Phil Cooke23/02/2018 08:56:02
1968 forum posts
1335 photos

Later this season the Power Scale Soaring Association will run our third ‘Mass Build’ event following previous successes with the Jet Provost in 2014 and the Skyhawk in 2016. Once again we’d like to invite you to take part!

We hope to get as many participants building simultaneously from 1st March over a six month period - with the aim of flying the new models at our ‘Fly for Fun’ event at the Great Orme, Llandudno on Sunday 9th September 2018. For anyone wanting to take part who’s not currently a PSSA member, drop me a line at and join us, Association membership if FREE!

prototype 1.jpg

This seasons project is focused on a new plan drawn by PSSA member Matt Jones, the 1/9th scale Hawker Hurricane – the RAF’s first monoplane fighter! Spanning 53” with a flying weight of 3lb, it’s a conventionally built-up PSS model for 2 channel R/C. The prototype (pictured above) was fully tested during the 2016 season and plans are now commercially available through Sarik Hobbies (plan ref MW3816).

In fact Sarik have just released a laser-cut woodpack (WP3816) and vac-formed canopy and spinner (CA3816CY and SP3816CO) specifically for our use! My sincere thanks go to Kevin Crozier and Barry Atkinson at Sarik Hobbies for their support and sponsorship throughout this products development, to Nigel Cartwright at Modeltek and of course to our very own Matt Jones for the superb design!

kit of parts.jpg

The set of parts – SET3816 – (plan/woodpack/vac-forms) retails at £93.50 and is available to purchase now, you can place an order by phone +44 (0)1684 311682 or via the Sarik Hobbies website here;

We’d like building to commence from 1st March 2018 so now’s the time to purchase your woodpacks! Obviously, you can make a start anytime but we’re keen to get folk building simultaneously allowing the sharing of ideas, knacks and lessons learnt via build blogs in this dedicated forum section, aiding other modellers whilst they are at a similar stage of the build. In that light, I’d invite all participants to create their own blog to cover your individual Hurricane builds!

Building from the plan is straight forward (especially so with the use of the laser-cut parts!) so starting in March will give even the slowest of builders plenty of time to be flight ready by September. For those completely new to PSS or building from plans we encourage you to have a go, this really is one of the main drivers of our Mass Build activity! There will be loads of help along the way from others taking part right here on the forum – this is a great opportunity to learn some new skills and create a scale model of your own to be proud of! We see it as an exciting and fun way for us to promote Power Scale Soaring, whilst getting more of our members building, learning or coaching.

hurricane mass build event logo.jpg

At the PSSA Fly-in on Sunday 9th September, the Hurricanes will be assembled on The Great Orme for the first time and flown in a number of type specific ‘display’ slots. As in previous years, we’ll offer prizes for the best finished model, best PSSA newcomer, best scale/innovative feature and so on… It should certainly deliver a spectacle to remember up on the Orme and give a revised feel to one of our usual ‘Fly for Fun’ events. Many thanks to PSSA member Bob Jennings for our fantastic Hurricane Mass Build event logo!

If you would like to take part in the PSSA Hurricane Mass Build Project please do let me know, email me at to register your participation. Sarik Hobbies are ready and waiting for your order – either by phone of via the website link.

hurricane plans.jpg

I do hope you can join us and take an active part in this project - and like me, you are eagerly looking forward to the mass gathering of Hawker Hurricanes during our September ‘Battle of Britain’ weekend in this, the RAF’s centenary year! ‘Tally Ho!’

Edited By Phil Cooke on 23/02/2018 09:06:51

Andy Meade23/02/2018 08:58:20
2211 forum posts
569 photos

Great stuff chief, I know it's been hard work for the both of you yes

Flyer23/02/2018 09:26:25
394 forum posts
48 photos

Well done Phil and Matt; huge effort.

Just placed my order too laugh

Alan Gorham_23/02/2018 09:35:20
373 forum posts
35 photos

I spotted the plan on Sarik's website last night. I'm going to join in with this. It looks too much fun to pass up on.

Harry Twist23/02/2018 11:49:59
221 forum posts
119 photos

Great introduction Phil - thanks for all the detail and all the effort Matt and yourself have already put in!

Looking forward to the build - need to get my workshop tidy!

I'll be ordering my plan/pack over the weekend!

Danny Fenton23/02/2018 11:54:44
8431 forum posts
3420 photos

I will enjoy following along guys

Andy Meade23/02/2018 12:04:36
2211 forum posts
569 photos

Not partaking in a Hurri Mr Fenton? wink

John H. Rood23/02/2018 18:00:21
161 forum posts
192 photos

Sent my money this morning. I'm in. Bless you blokes for doing this good stuff.

Bob Jennings 123/02/2018 18:14:58
78 forum posts
82 photos

Pack ordered..... Note the use of the singular. Not doing two this time. Looks like a really quick build though, no endless carving and sanding with this one!

Well done chaps, a lot of hard work and I'm sure it will provide endless fun and banter with the usual suspects.

See you all soon.

Graham Green24/02/2018 00:32:23
6 forum posts
4 photos

Ordered Hurricane Pack last night, this is the first Mass Build I've undertaken so looking forward to it.

Have been looking for some interesting schemes, so may have to do a few additions to the finished model, we'll see!

Looking forward to following this thread.

Peter Garsden24/02/2018 08:41:14
1208 forum posts
797 photos

Just put in my order. Must look for a scheme. Can feel a build blog coming on. Will have to pause the Canberra sadly, but can't do that until the wings are finished,

Similar thanks to Matt and Phil.

I just won't be able to tear myself away from the reading.

Incidentally floating around there is a very good film about how a chap found a dilapidated Hurricane India, how it took him 4 years to get it out, restore and build it to be flown by a WW2 veteran - worth a look if you can find it.

Phil Cooke24/02/2018 15:30:47
1968 forum posts
1335 photos

Great to see such a positive response to the Hurricane launch - really chuffed! - We've already got Sarik orders being prepared for shipment to Belgium and the USA!

Pete - I think I might create a new thread for colourschemes - like we did before on the JP and the A-4. You'd be surprised how far and wide the Hurricane was used - by over 25 different nations including some really rarely modelled examples from places like Egypt and Yugoslavia!

Really looking forward to seeing some of the different schemes and variants!

prototype 4.jpg

John H. Rood24/02/2018 16:48:05
161 forum posts
192 photos

They even let a few of us Yanks fraternize with the locals!

mike kolendorski in the cockpit of his hawker hurricane early in 1941...jpg

Ultimate maverick: Mike Kolendorski in the cockpit of his Hawker Hurricane early in 1941. He was shot down on May 17, 1941, the first Eagle Squadron pilot to be killed on active service with the RAF. He had thrown his empty beer bottles out of his cockpit at German targets below.

Andy Blackburn25/02/2018 09:40:51
407 forum posts
482 photos
1 articles

I think I might be doing a Mk II with a tropical filter, possibly with a SEAC (India/Burma) colour scheme. Not sure about the wisdom of having cannons though because they'll have to be knock-off and will probably spend most of their time knocked-off in the long grass.

Andy Meade25/02/2018 09:42:20
2211 forum posts
569 photos
I was going for a big gunned "tank buster" too, putting the guns on eflight releases
Phil Cooke25/02/2018 10:32:19
1968 forum posts
1335 photos

We all need to employ the Chris Barlow patented magnetic cannons like he has on his Spitfire Mk 9 - Chris can you show us the details on that please!?

Andy Blackburn25/02/2018 11:14:44
407 forum posts
482 photos
1 articles

I was thinking about the clasic EG-N airfix scheme:

...but am really wary of the plug-in cannons. I might have to find an attractive burma/india MkII that has machine guns, I think there are a few in the one of the Osprey books.

Also, the MkIIs had (as well as a very slightly longer, very slightly re-profiled nose) an oil collector ring just behind the spinner; this will be draggy but I'm not sure I'll be able to leave it off. Maybe a bit of thick acetate with just the edges painted...?

John H. Rood25/02/2018 17:01:49
161 forum posts
192 photos

Hurricane I of 303 Sq RF-J V665

I’ve long wanted to build a RAF Northholt-based 303 (Polish) Squadron Hurricane I in honour of WC John A. “Johnny” Kent, a Canadian who served very effectively in 303 as they rose to combat status in the summer of 1940. This one (V6665) is associated with him.

Standard Battle of Britain colours & markings, but with a red stripe around the aft fuselage, just ahead of the tailplane.

John H. Rood25/02/2018 17:47:25
161 forum posts
192 photos

1960s Revell 72nd  Scale Kit

My first Hurricane build was in 1966, the classic old Revell plastic kit.

And, coincidence or otherwise, the first Hurricane photograph that I can recall is this one:

The dreaded Scale Fidelity Police will chime in that the old Revell box art may have a wrong colour for the spinner.  Oh, Blimey!!!

Edited By John_Rood on 25/02/2018 18:03:06

Edited By John_Rood on 25/02/2018 18:04:28

Andy Meade25/02/2018 18:27:06
2211 forum posts
569 photos
Finished that A4 yet Johnny Boy?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues