Verrrrrry nice sir

Dwain Dibley.08/03/2018 22:20:54
871 forum posts
862 photos

That's very nice of you to say so, old Bean...laugh

Geoff Sleath08/03/2018 23:07:28
2356 forum posts
177 photos

You're like greased lightning, Dwain! I wouldn't mind if it looked like it had been thrown together but it's immaculate. You'll have this flying before I get my Moth ready for covering!

Having struggled getting batteries out of models when I've used genuine Velcro I now tend to use a Velcro strap like yours but have the battery Velcro on top so the strap engages with it. I then make sure the battery can't slip around but is easily removed by peeling off the strap.

Dwain Dibley.08/03/2018 23:30:07
871 forum posts
862 photos

Thanks Geoff.....laugh

I love the building part, I spoil it for myself really, cos I finish too quickly. LOL.

Mind you, I have to cut all the ribs next, so that will slow me down a bit.

Regards the battery, I only put two small squares of velcro on the battery and a long bit on the tray, that way it's held well but is easy to peel off.

Dwain Dibley.09/03/2018 18:26:16
871 forum posts
862 photos

Ok. I needed the bench space so I had to get rid of the box the Boomerang kit came in.

The answer was to build the contents into a wing.

There were a few issues, the biggest being missing parts, second being broken parts, third, extremely bent parts.

Spot Seagulls deliberate mistake in the pics, and have a chuckle at my expense. laugh

Keeping it all square was a bit of a trial, but it all worked out. I added some individuality to the wing surface.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 09/03/2018 18:30:20

Dwain Dibley.10/03/2018 14:59:52
871 forum posts
862 photos

So, to get it out of the way for the PD wing build, the last few jobs on the Boomer were sorted today.

I had to make a new motor mount, as the motor rear mount was too big for the kit one.

I made two servo mounts, the servo will sit upright, as opposed to on it's side.

I changed the wing tips, but still used the parts, they should be enclosed but I made open braced ones.

The motors came from 4Max, ordered yesterday. Big shout out to George and the Team. Got a free keyring and a nice decal. Ta guys !! laugh

PD motor next to the Boomer motor, PD is the top one, in case you don't know. cheekylaugh

Dwain Dibley.10/03/2018 21:35:33
871 forum posts
862 photos

Finished the servo mountsBoomer, nice and sturdy. Also the wing tips.

Here is the little Motor in the front of the Puddle Duck... I have decided to make a new front piece so as to do it justice.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 10/03/2018 21:39:07

Dwain Dibley.11/03/2018 18:47:41
871 forum posts
862 photos

Boomer covering.. then it's finished bar the motor install. I can now get on to the rib cutting for the Main item of this thread.

Dwain Dibley.18/03/2018 15:53:28
871 forum posts
862 photos

As promised.....the Rib Cutting.........YAY !! laugh

first of all I made two ply templates, I used liteply because it was there, I know some guys use aluminium. I reckon you could get three sets out of ply ones, but obviously many more from aluminium or even 1mm ply.

After the ply ones are cut I made sure they were spot on the same by taping them together and running them on the sander.

I the cut 21 blanks from balsa sheet, just slightly bigger than the templates.

The next step was to tape 9 together (there are nine in each wing and 3 in the centre section) with the templates on each side, clamp them in a vice and go at it with the sanding block. After that I used various files to cut the slots for the spars. 2 X 1/4 sq and 4 X 1/8 sq.

Repeat with the next nine and finally the last 3. I figured this way each wing would be even if not 100% identical to the other. plus my vice would not hold 23 ribs...wink

I don't think it will take long to get two wings made now.

I use this stuff, it's great as it goes on blue, so you can see where you put it, and then turns clear.

Two lovely templates.

Blankety Blank.

Ribs. I made 3 extra, left as blanks just in case, these are the "spare ribs"...............Groan.........blush

Looking like a wing. I will build the port wing on the same bit of plan, just remembering to put the tip on the other end.....wink

Dwain Dibley.19/03/2018 21:08:54
871 forum posts
862 photos

Ok, so, got a load done today, and now have two wings and a centre section....just the tips to make.

Jims' method for making the bottom sheeting first works well and that is how I did it. Put down the sheeting and then the bottom main spar and two sub spars, and the . Then add the ribs, remembering to add the dihedral to the inner most rib.

Next add the top main spar and top sub spars, the sheer web pieces (grain vertical), and the false leading edge. Then the top sheeting goes on and once the glue dries the sheeting can be trimmed back to the false leading edge.

The last job is the leading edge which will be planed to profile before covering.

I made the second bottom sheet over the same bit of plan, and then flipped it over to make the port wing. This saved copying or oiling the plan. Obviously the ribs are all evenly spaced so this is possible, some wings have uneven spacing so watch out.

When I came to make the centre section, I spotted a little conundrum. The wing section drawing, which I had been working to, has the dihedral braces in front of the webbing, the centre section plan has them behind...Could have been interesting If I had not noticed.

Once all the sheeting was on I cut the slots for the ply braces, these slots will be sheeted in at the end.

img_20180319_195542.jpgMy reward for working hard and being a good boy......winklaugh

Chris North 319/03/2018 23:54:07
194 forum posts
299 photos

Hi DD. I am really enjoying your thread and the fact that it contains so much detail for each step - it will be very useful when I get back to building again once the new house is sorted. There are so many so called build threads that contain plenty of words and then a picture of the finished model - which is not always that helpful! - so thanks for the effort you are putting in.

Dwain Dibley.20/03/2018 16:37:22
871 forum posts
862 photos

Thanks for the kind words Chris, It's nice to know these blogs actually help people.. thumbs up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues