Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Bowdler12/03/2018 18:36:29
30 forum posts
22 photos

jx-e night reaper.jpg

Stephen Bowdler12/03/2018 18:46:21
30 forum posts
22 photos

Started my build of the Hurricane this evening. I've decided to model Hurricane JXE "Night Reaper" as this is a little different with a totally black underside and a couple of interesting "things" under the wings. I assume they are fuel tanks but I could well be wrong. May be someone can enlighten me?

As I will be away for June through to August I will have to finish Night Reaper by the end of May if I am going to get to the Orme in September. I'll do my best but it's going to be tight.

I am still waiting for the remaining sheet and strip materials to arrive so I started on the battery box assembly and the radiator to get going. Photos when they are finished - may be tomorrow.

Stephen Bowdler12/03/2018 18:48:34
30 forum posts
22 photos

............... more details of Night Reaper ...........

jx-e night reaper original.jpg

Steve J12/03/2018 19:00:30
540 forum posts
27 photos

This scheme is discussed at length over on Britmodeller. The Sky band is questionable.

Steve, trainee rivet counter

Phil Cooke12/03/2018 21:42:02
1964 forum posts
1326 photos

Nice one Stephen, we will be watching! smile d

Stephen Bowdler13/03/2018 20:59:17
30 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks for the link Steve. I hadn't realised that the colour scheme of one aircraft could cause so much debate!

I'll continue with this colour scheme, even if it may not be totally correct.

Alan Gorham_13/03/2018 21:50:30
369 forum posts
35 photos

Good to see another 1 Squadron Hurricane Stephen! We'll have to arrange a squadron patrol over the Orme in September.

Karel Kuttelwascher became famous for flying over German nightfighter stations and picking off the enemy fighters when they were vulnerable when taking off or landing.

The colour profile you show does have long-range fuel tanks under the wings.

Andy Meade14/03/2018 09:56:39
2208 forum posts
569 photos

What a nice scheme yes Looking forward to this one!

Steve J14/03/2018 10:02:42
540 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by Stephen Bowdler on 13/03/2018 20:59:17:

I hadn't realised that the colour scheme of one aircraft could cause so much debate!

IMO it's always worth checking the plastic kit sites if your are doing anything scale.

I like the Medium Sea Gray/Dark Green/Night intruder schemes. Much better in typical UK conditions than MSG or Sky undersides. I will probably spray my ParkZone Mosquito in such a scheme this year.

Stephen Bowdler17/03/2018 17:51:34
30 forum posts
22 photos

Fuselage basic assembly is now done. It went together nicely with no issues. I just had to ease F3 and F7 slightly to get a good fit over the ply wing doubler.

hurricane tail.jpg

You may notice the position markings for the formers on the outside of the fuselage. I made the stupid mistake of marking up two right hand sides .... Deeeer! Fortunately I spotted my mistake before adding te centre stringer and wing seat.

Now F8 and F9 are in position and the adhesive is curing - on edges below the central stinger only at this point.....

hurricane f8 f9.jpg

Next it's time to start torturing some balsa.

Phil Cooke17/03/2018 18:59:14
1964 forum posts
1326 photos

Nice one Stephen - glad that's gone together so easily. Do please double check the height of the formers you've yet to let in from the top - as if your fuselage doubler is set as per sheet 2 - as I'm sure it will be - you will find you need to add 2.5mm of material to the doubler recess on these top mounted formers to maintain them at the required height.

It applies to F4, F5 and F6. This would be consistent with the issue identified last night as written up in the woodpack thread.

Chris Barlow17/03/2018 21:09:17
1692 forum posts
1154 photos

Won't be the last time somebody makes the same two sides to a fuselage! Nice to hear you spotted it before glueing up.yes

Stephen Bowdler18/03/2018 17:47:38
30 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks Phil.

I fitted formers 4, 5 and 6 this afternoon and you are correct, all three sat a few mms low in the fuselage. I found that the easiest way to correct this was to add a 10mm length of 2.5mm balsa on top of the doubler and glued to the side wall. F4 needed slight surgery to the doubler recess to allow it to fit. Now all three are correct as per the plan.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues