Forum sponsored by CML

Death Warmed Up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Engine Doctor01/04/2018 11:41:51
1931 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Chris Barlow on 31/03/2018 02:12:28:

So a frustrating but productive couple of days which at one point had me gripping the nose between my legs and pinching the sides to the formers with my right hand and left wrist whilst trying to apply drops or runny cyano with my left hand! Oh and I dropped the fuselage twice creating a dent in the side that will have to be filled! surprise

You can remove most dents in balsa simply by wetting the dent and applying heat from a covering iron . The steam generated swells the fibers back to their normal shape. It saves a lot of filling and sanding plus no filler to fall out later.

Have don similar contortions holding bits with knees hand and applying cyano ! Have been stuck firmly to fuselages in past blush on a couple of occasions !

Trevor21/04/2018 12:23:28
258 forum posts
25 photos

Having ordered my short kit from Sarik yesterday, I’m re-reading these threads with renewed interest! Rather than struggle to distort the 1/8 sheet sides, is there any reason why one shouldn’t plank the more curvaceous sections? I’m not saying it would be quicker but I think, for me at least, it might be less stressful.

Trevor

Levanter21/04/2018 13:20:41
706 forum posts
346 photos

Trevor

​I would definitely think about planking as an option as it does seem to be a bit problematical.
​A couple of things to consider maybe:
​If the planking has to finish at 1/8" to match with sheeting and for strength you may want to plank a bit thicker as you will need a sanding allowance.
​You will use more glue and the planked section may end up slightly heavier.
​With planking you don't want the balsa too soft. It is better that it wraps around the curves without buckling. On the other hand you don't want it to hard or that will make sanding more difficult.

Levanter

Chris Barlow21/04/2018 18:38:12
1720 forum posts
1172 photos

Trevor, I'd recommend having a look at how Phil has done his fuzz and go with that method of external molding formers. There aren't really enough formers down the fuselage for planking, just the 2 immediately behind the cockpit.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues