Cap Cam

A camera on my cap !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Jones03/04/2018 19:35:25
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

Hi,

Just thought i would share my Cap cam with you all.

My problem is that when i manage to get to the field to do some flying i am usually on my own and with no one to take pictures or videos i have to rely on some way of strapping a small camera to my cap.

Which does not always turn out right as the camera may be pointing in the wrong direction or is off to one side. or is too bulky.

So i have bought this Camera from Hobby King in there warehouse sale at a good low price a FX DV08 which is for a Quadcopter with fpv analog video output.

fx dv08sml.jpg

Now i do not own a Quadcopter or desire too. But

Steve

Stephen Jones03/04/2018 19:59:15
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

I can see a use for it strapped to my Cap.

So i fitted some Rx plugs to it so i can fit a Y lead .

y lead.jpg

Then to that a small Rx.

reciver.jpg

And i made up a video lead.

video.jpg

A power supply.

power.jpg

Checked it all works.

working.jpg

Then fitted to a cap.

cap a.jpg

Now i can put my cap on and using a small spot monitor i can check the camera is lined up correctly.

And remotely control the operation of the camera via a channel programed on my transmitter,

cap b.jpg

I can record video in 1080p and take pictures too.

So in stand by mode i can remotely take pictures at 4032x3024 and also while video is recording take pictures but only at 1080p.

The Spot monitor allows me to see if it is recording and at what res or if it has taken a picture.

Now i will not use the monitor while flying so will have to rely on knowing what buttons i have pressed.

As the on board leds will not be visible from underside so i may add some LEDs to the bottom so i can see what mode it is in.

The pictures and videos i have taken indoors to test it are very good, But as this weekends weather has been crap i have yet to test it Outside while flying a plane.

Steve.

John Robertson 303/04/2018 22:49:19
115 forum posts
1 photos

Interesting! I hadn't thought along these lines, but now you've got me thinking . . .

Hopefully you'll be posting some flying video - I look forward to this.

Stephen Jones04/04/2018 20:28:12
2464 forum posts
1441 photos
Posted by John Robertson 3 on 03/04/2018 22:49:19:

Interesting! I hadn't thought along these lines, but now you've got me thinking . . .

Hopefully you'll be posting some flying video - I look forward to this.

Yes i will post some pictures / videos as soon as the weather allows.

I opened the camera unit up today with a view to adding some LED`s, But no need all that was needed was to turn the camera module round 180 degrees.

Tested and working with the onboard LED`s just in my peripheral view .

Steve

Stephen Jones15/04/2018 22:24:58
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

Hi,

i have managed to get out and shoot some footage with this camera one indoors and the other outside i will up load that footage later.

So for now here is the indoor footage and the pictures i also took.

00000123.jpg
This was taken while the video was running so is in 1080p.
00000233.jpg
And this is when no Video is recording.
I guess i could of done some in 720p mode.
Steve.
Gordon Whitehead 116/04/2018 12:58:54
191 forum posts
109 photos

An excellent idea Steve. I've never heard of a spot monitor before so googled it. Is yours some sort of wrist-mounted monitor screen? Which one is yours, how's it linked to the camera, and where can we get one like it? Is it possible to link the camera output to a mobile phone and save having to buy a spot monitor?

I'm looking forward to your outdoor footage.

Kind regards

Gordon

Chris Walby16/04/2018 15:11:01
405 forum posts
65 photos

Steve, well done and thanks for letting us know

PS - What's the triangle biplane on the floor & how does it fly?

Geoff Peacock16/04/2018 17:46:19
126 forum posts
44 photos
Posted by Chris Walby on 16/04/2018 15:11:01:

Looks to me like a 'Duplex Delta' - C/L from Aeromodeller free plan many years ago. Then again…

ASH.16/04/2018 18:14:37
181 forum posts
Very clever Steve.. good for espionage work too.
Not sure I could wear a bird's nest on my head
Stephen Jones16/04/2018 19:19:18
2464 forum posts
1441 photos
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 16/04/2018 12:58:54:

An excellent idea Steve. I've never heard of a spot monitor before so googled it. Is yours some sort of wrist-mounted monitor screen? Which one is yours, how's it linked to the camera, and where can we get one like it? Is it possible to link the camera output to a mobile phone and save having to buy a spot monitor?

I'm looking forward to your outdoor footage.

Kind regards

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

The FX Dv-O8 is sold for use with FPV Quadcopters so that the flyer can watch where they are going through there goggles while also recording the footage in HD 720p or 1080p with the option of remotely taking pictures.

So the analog output which would be transmitted to the goggles can also be seen on a spot monitor or any device capable of displaying analog video.

As i am a security engineer who fits CCTV i have a handheld spot monitor to hand. which is the Orange object in the left hand side of the picture that also shows my transmitter.

The down side for me is that one has to remove the SD Card and insert it into the PC in order the View / Copy the footage. When i play back the footage my player displays more info about the type of video and in the comments section it says CarDV-TURNKEY.

Steve

Stephen Jones16/04/2018 19:44:19
2464 forum posts
1441 photos
Posted by Chris Walby on 16/04/2018 15:11:01:

Hi Chris,

Did you not watch the video ?.

It is my interpretation of a modern tandem wing design and is the most stable plane i have flown.
As most of us probably already know the delta wing is quite stable at varying speeds and angle of attack.

So i decided to design a Tandem wing plane with that wing format.
Which to my surprise worked out very well .
And it was not until i had flown the model several times at a local indoor meeting that someone pointed out that it looked similar to that control line plane the Double Duplex.
You can read my blog here .

Steve

Stephen Jones16/04/2018 19:53:38
2464 forum posts
1441 photos
Posted by ASH. on 16/04/2018 18:14:37:
Very clever Steve.. good for espionage work too.
Not sure I could wear a bird's nest on my head

Hi ASH,

No need for all that wire.

The Av lead is only there so i can check i have the camera is looking at what i am seeing and so can be un-plugged.

video.jpg

The receiver will fit in the hem of the Cap as will the rest of the wiring where i could make a pouch to house the battery. But i opted to place the battery in my top pocket so i can easy remove it without taking my Cap off.

Steve

Chris Walby16/04/2018 20:13:55
405 forum posts
65 photos

Steve, thanks for the reply (sorry didn't have time to watch the video, but have now) plus read/watched the blog. Very interesting model as I am looking for something that flies very slowly.

Could you share size/dimensions if you don't mind and what's the flight envelope like (e.g. at stall and high AOA)?

Stephen Jones16/04/2018 21:16:04
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

Hi Chris,

As with many of my designs i like to tweak them and so i have made some alterations to the design which has improved it`s slow flight and stability.

And may well be a subject for a free plan with in the pages of RCM&E with any luck as i find it hard to get good pictures of my models flying .

Steve

Stephen Jones16/04/2018 21:21:09
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

Hi again,

Here is a Video taken outside i had hoped to maiden my Wicked Wing but there was very little wind about.

So with the consent of those in the video took this. No pictures at this time i will try to get out again with mine.

Steve

Gordon Whitehead 116/04/2018 22:40:25
191 forum posts
109 photos

Thanks Steve. I found your cctv tester on Amazon, but just a bit pricey for this occasional job. There is this item which might be worth blowing the 26 quid on if it worked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CQNSGPO/ref=asc_df_B01CQNSGPO51726080/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B01CQNSGPO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256110712503&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12743213703415599841&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007047&hvtargid=pla-420324196973

It is supposed to be a CCTV tester. Acknowledging that you only get what you pay for, if it actually worked as a CCTV tester, Is it likely it would decode the analog signal and produce the pic of where one is looking like yours does?

Kind regards

Gordon

Stephen Jones16/04/2018 23:47:31
2464 forum posts
1441 photos

Hi Gordon,

Yes, that would do the job for a quick check of view, the Resolution: 320 * 240 is very low. And how well will it be in bright sunlight.

LOL one knows that the picture they are showing you is not a true recreation of what you will be able to see.

The output on the FX Dv-08 is also low at 640x480 but you are able to see the status of the camera as well as the picture.

It is cheap but not very piratical as a true CCTV monitor as you would not be able to use it to focus the camera you are working on. It is a check picture and alignment use only.

So i guess that is why it is cheap also modern cameras are AHD CVI TVI or network cameras now with full HD Some are 4K.

Having said that it is practical for this use. Although once you have it set right on you're cap and you place on you're head the same every time you use it there is no need for the monitor as you can watch the light to see the status.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 16/04/2018 23:50:45

Gordon Whitehead 117/04/2018 15:27:07
191 forum posts
109 photos

Hi Steve, thanks for your comments. The pic on the wrist-mounted one looks as if it has been cut out of a picture postcard. It might work acceptably if you were to use a lamp as the alignment check object but otherwise not very versatile as you need to do the check at the field really. You've got your camera well-positioned in all the shots so you're well set up. Those youtube vids you see shot with a hat cam where the plane keeps disappearing above or below the screen are not worth watching to the end and I wonder why the guys even bother to post them.

Kind regards

Gordon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues