Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Peacemaker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh10/04/2018 18:25:21
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Ran out of repairs to do, all new builds completed and the shed was unusually idle. While waiting for the weather to improve someone suggested that this was quite a pretty model and did I fancy building it.

Having a large stock of wood which was surplus to other people`s requirements because they are no longer with us and some suitable motors and servos doing nothing I decided to give it a go thinking that it was just a quickie build. How wrong can you be.

The motor choice was OS15, 20, 25FX or 26S. The 15 for which it was designed really did look too small, the 20 was too heavy for its power, the FX a bit OTT so I plumped for the 26S which is only 3oz heavier than the 15 due to the small silencer and produces a fair bit of power.

Some build pics coming up.

Martin McIntosh10/04/2018 18:59:04
2400 forum posts
930 photos

peacemaker 001.jpg

peacemaker 002.jpg

peacemaker 003.jpg

peacemaker 004.jpg

peacemaker 005.jpg

peacemaker 006.jpg

peacemaker 007.jpg

peacemaker 008.jpg

peacemaker 009.jpg

peacemaker 011.jpg

peacemaker 012.jpg

peacemaker 013.jpg

So that`s it. No canopy as yet till I can find one. That rudder horn is fitted too near the tail thus restricting movement to the left but there may be enough.

This is no flea weight at 2lb 10oz. The 5 cell pack had to be fitted at the rear of the wing to get the cg correct. This would have been the case even if I had used the OS15 due to the lightweight modern mini servos.

I had to move F2 back a bit and the nose ring forwards to get the motor in which meant cutting into the wing L.E. to make way for the 2oz tank.

Some of the plan is hopelessly inaccurate. The nose ring is shown at 1 15/16th dia. but should be 2 1/16th. I don`t know which model F3 and 4 were designed for but certainly not this one since they are both too shallow and one is too wide so if you decide to build this then bear it in mind.

Now waiting for the patch to be sufficiently dry and flat enough for those tiny wheels which were pinched from a deceased model.

Martyn K11/04/2018 09:45:58
4543 forum posts
3169 photos

Is that the George Aldrich design from the early 60s Martin? Always thought is was a very nice Control Line model. Very elegant

Mike Etheridge 111/04/2018 09:53:54
1406 forum posts
394 photos

Looks great Martin,and your piano wire throttle link evident in the photographs. I was tempted when I saw the plan in the RCM&E magazine to make one up having made the control line version in 1963. Still I have other projects to finish first. I assume the Mosquito repair is complete ?

Levanter11/04/2018 10:08:36
707 forum posts
346 photos

Hi Martin

​The concept of having all new builds complete is completely alien to me. Sometimes I wish it wasn't.
​That looks a really neat build with a fine result. I do like the shoulder wing.
​I get the feeling you built that quickly - how quick?

Levanter

Martin McIntosh11/04/2018 11:48:27
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Martyn, I think it said 1958 in the mag. article.

Mike, the Mossie is back together along with the Lanc.

Levanter, I started this a short while after receiving the free plan so not really that quick. As I said, it was not as straightforward as it may appear.

Now got at least seven models awaiting test flights, most of which are possibly dodgy types.

Mark Pidduck11/04/2018 21:55:00
29 forum posts
7 photos

I was tempted by this model, too. To be fair, I am tempted by most free plans! Well done on a nice job. Did you choose to add the rudder yourself? I didn't think there was one on the plan. I'm looking forward to hearing how it flies.

Martin McIntosh12/04/2018 11:01:50
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Thanks Mark, the rudder was sized and fitted as suggested in the article. At that angle it could do some strange things.

Piers Bowlan12/04/2018 11:39:00
1228 forum posts
36 photos

I spent a while musing over the plan with a cup of coffee, thinking, what if? A slight scale up perhaps? A symmetrical wing section? Leccy conversion? Then sanity resumed and I remembered my three unfinished model builds, not to mention the XXX unbuilt kits and ARFs in my loft (I have lost count) blush .

It has a distinctive planform, a bit of Mossie in there perhaps even if the rudder is kind of weird,?

That is very quick build Martin by my book, thanks for sharing it with us, I too will be interested to hear how it flies.

Martin McIntosh12/04/2018 13:39:59
2400 forum posts
930 photos

I too nearly made a symmetrical wing but decided in the end to stick with the original.

My Perigee copy of the 1962 design has a similar rudder and with a little mixing will do reasonably respectable slow and point rolls.

With the latest deluge it will probably be quite some before it visits the field.

Hope they don`t publish any more free plans I fancy in the near future because I just cannot cope with more models, but you never know.

Martin McIntosh19/04/2018 16:25:29
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Our field has now dried out quite a bit and was mown today so no excuses.

Made a longer u/c from wire to give more ground clearance and dispensed with the spats.

Pleased to report that it flies surprisingly well, no elevator trim needed but a fair bit of aileron which must be due to a warp after covering. The rudder does its job but I shall have to move the horn.

Pussy cat to land. The power is just right although flights were fairly short due to the small tank.

Piers Bowlan19/04/2018 19:02:58
1228 forum posts
36 photos

Pleased it flies well Martin, perhaps the flat bottomed wing is a good idea as regards the landing. Did you try it inverted?

Mark Pidduck19/04/2018 19:46:47
29 forum posts
7 photos

Very pleased to hear it flies as nice as it looks. Great job!

Martin McIntosh19/04/2018 21:26:23
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Thanks guys. Inverted no problem and it will do outside loops OK but needs at least second nail in the left tip to stop it screwing out due to the sidewinder motor. It will just about do slow and four point rolls even without a canopy, just needs a little down mixing with rudder.

Martin McIntosh23/04/2018 19:51:59
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Tried the rudder/elevator mix which works and have balanced the wing but decided to make a larger rudder. Still got the horn wrong somehow. Pic shows the new longer u/c.peacemaker 014.jpg

peacemaker 015.jpg

Geoff Parkes06/05/2018 08:35:18
45 forum posts

Martin, I am just at the moment covering my Peacemaker, I probably like you have fond memories of flying a control line version some 50 years ago, did you build as the plan using both the down and side thrust ? I have followed the plan with both these but it looks odd on an R/C model to have both side and down thrust, if you could avise please.

Martin McIntosh06/05/2018 11:08:12
2400 forum posts
930 photos

Hi Geoff,

I did not have the c/l version. The thrust angles must be built in as per plan. Side and down thrust are pretty standard practice. Should probably have used slightly more right thrust on mine as I am swinging a 10x6 prop. which causes quite a bit of torque, but it is OK.

Now doubled the size of the rudder but may have too much area at the top. I have added 4% down mix with rudder, decreased the aileron throw and increased it`s expo to 55%.

The c.g. is a little too far forward so I shall be forced to add lead.

Geoff Parkes07/05/2018 08:22:55
45 forum posts

Martin , thats all well to know, mine is an electric version, not certain what size motor to use , went for 25 equivalent as you used a 25- 4 stroke,this might be to powerfull, but i can allways prop. to adjust, looking for around 450 watts, also noted the comment regarding the c.g. not trial balanced mine but I get the feeling that its going to be nose heavy. Planning to get it ready for its maiden on thurs . will let you know how it goes , many thanks for your quick reply, Regards

Martin McIntosh07/05/2018 10:36:59
2400 forum posts
930 photos

A 25 equivalent would be far too much. I would be looking nearer 300W since yours will no doubt be lighter than mine. It is the heavy four stroke which is causing my c.g. to be a little forward.

Geoff Parkes14/05/2018 08:21:44
45 forum posts

Martin , its me again, we discussed the side / down thrust earlier, I have built my Peacemaker as per the plan with the side/downthrust, maidened over the weekend, with my electric set up on 3S,11x5 prop we were getting approx 400 watts,I do not have an undercarriage so it was hand launched, after leaving the hand it went vertical, I put down in and reduced power the plane levelled off, but did not seem to respond to aileron to well, after 30 secs. of "interesting flying "I managed to land without damage, the C/G was right, not excessive movement, my plan now is to move the battery forward and reduce movement on the elevator and maybe increase the aileron movement, any other ideas spring to mind to get the thing flying ? Regards.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues