By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Fuel tank setup

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Bagshaw12/05/2018 19:20:19
39 forum posts

How do people set up their fuel tank and engine so you don't loose power in outside loops or whenever the plane is in a vertical dive?

Currently my OS55 has a standard fuel setup with pressure from the exhaust with a one way valve, but when I'm at the bottom of the loop the engine is searching for fuel.

Many thanks

Ian

Jon - Laser Engines12/05/2018 19:26:00
3686 forum posts
146 photos

one way valve? whats that doing in there?

Tom Sharp 212/05/2018 19:36:20
2833 forum posts
16 photos

The piping on the clunk is too stiff leaving the clunk in clear air while inverted, or clunk is catching on the end of the tank and failing to drop down in to the fuel at the bottom of the loop.

Denis Watkins12/05/2018 19:37:42
2671 forum posts
136 photos

Ian, a motor that is run in, with no extra valves, and good plumbing, decent glow plug, with normal clunk will bunt.

So one or more requirements are adrift

Ian Bagshaw12/05/2018 19:56:58
39 forum posts

Many thanks I will do some checking the valve is to keep the system pressurised and stop unspent fuel coming out of the exhaust, works a treat.

stu knowles12/05/2018 21:46:46
481 forum posts
37 photos

The one way valve is the only thing that you don't need.

Better with a clip to apply after the flight to stop fuel running back into the exhaust during transport.(IMHO)

ASH.12/05/2018 21:51:21
184 forum posts

Ian, the way to prevent any fuel running back out through the pressure line is to loop the tubing up over the engine mount first then down to the exhaust. I always loop all three lines, it also prevents siphoning to an inverted mount. You will have to take the tank out and put in longer tubing, whilst there check free movement of the clunks and fit metal fuel clips at the outlets. No risk of slippage then.

As said above.. no extra valves!

ps it's good practise to drain tank of all fuel after flying session and burn off any left in carb line.

Edited By ASH. on 12/05/2018 21:57:07

Ian Bagshaw12/05/2018 22:38:12
39 forum posts

Thanks for all the advice I was just wondering if anybody had a different clunk setup, the valve system is just a one way valve & I have been using them for 35 years...works perfectly

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues