Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Precedent models from the 80, Hi-Boy, Low-Boy and Supernova

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Marsh16/05/2018 20:03:12
3228 forum posts
891 photos

I still have a Lo-Boy, bought it from Graham's Hobbyworld in Stoke, during the 90's Bit old, and needs a new canopy, but flew it again a year or so ago...

I had a Hi-Fly, called it "Yellow Mellow"...

hifly.jpg

Robin Colbourne16/05/2018 20:07:18
370 forum posts
4 photos

Regarding the Super Nova, why not call SLEC/Balsacraft and ask them about its history?

Whatever you do find out, come back and tell us please!

Levanter16/05/2018 20:29:17
707 forum posts
346 photos

I have a Lo Boy 5 under construction. It is one of my fill in models when I get bored with the others. Wings joined but with a very slight amount of dihedral just to stop them looking droopy. The wing joiner had to be sunk a couple of millimetres more but it hardly shows. Does mean that I will have to split the flaps but they can still be operated from the single servo with a forked pushrod.
​Quite a lot of ply has been taken out to lighten the sides.
​Will be my first veneered foam wing job.

Levanter

Keith Lomax16/05/2018 21:28:21
164 forum posts

I had a lo-boy 5 that I had purchased at a club auction. I took it on the one occasion that I went to the flying holiday in North Yorkshire (can't remember the name but it took over a holiday camp). I was helping to run one of the two RC fields, about 5 miles away, so I didn't get much chance to fly. At the end of one day, my colleague said "go on then, have a quick one". I did all the pre-flight checks, started it up, took off, throttled back and was just about to start a circuit. For some reason it lost signal (no failsafe in those days) so off it went, straight and level, about 1/3 throttle. I found it in a hawthorn hedge about a mile away.

Chris Channon17/05/2018 00:50:59
511 forum posts
Hi Alan, yes you are correct, i forgot the re-vamp was "Lo-Boy 5 with flap" Then the turbo came out, i have to admit i thought they were brilliant for the time, teally nice easy build, i will have to look out for another.
Regards
Chris.C. ( stand corrected dept )
Richard Clayton 417/05/2018 22:05:38
7 forum posts
6 photos
Chris.
The Lo-boy 5 with flap is how they marketed the original version (see my pics of the 2 different boxes earlier on the thread). The revamped version was still 5 channel with a central flap but the box featured this less prominently and just called the model a Lo-boy 5

Edited By Richard Clayton 4 on 17/05/2018 22:06:14

Chris Channon17/05/2018 23:42:53
511 forum posts
Cheers Richard, i am not often right !!😁
Regards
Chris.C
Chris Channon17/05/2018 23:44:31
511 forum posts
I am just wondering if the 1st lo-boy i built I didn't bother with the flap and on the last one I built as 5 ch.
Age thing !!
Chris.C.
Richard Clayton 418/05/2018 06:56:36
7 forum posts
6 photos
I built my Lo-boy without the flap as I only had a 4 chanel radio back then.
A good reliable Fleet Custom 111 35mhz jobbie.
I was one of the first in my club on 35Mhz. A lot of the others still were on 27Mhz AM sets.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues