Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Brian Taylor Corsair F4u

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jeff Glasser01/12/2008 16:16:00
61 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks Timbo,   I thought you might have seen them before on a previous attempt at putting them on the site, of course, with my memory nowadays, and my poor command of the p.c.  they could be on any site!

If, and when I hurl them skywards and they survive long enough to get pics' I'll post them on here.

Jeff.

Jeff Glasser01/12/2008 16:25:00
61 forum posts
13 photos

Timbo, 

P.S. The P.40 is an old 'Top Flight model from the '70's now fitted with a 4 stroke and exhaust system from 'Just Engines, enabling it all to be hidden in the cowl.

Sorry about 'Gromit' in the Stearman. I hacked him out of  his red aeroplane, ( one of those things people stick to their computers )

The full size Stearman is one of my all time favourite aircraft.

Jeff

Andy Carter02/12/2008 17:18:00
11 forum posts

Hi Nigel. Thanks for the pics. The Cosairs looks fantastic. I assume the flaps are fully functioning. Whats the difference between VMA and VMF? VMF-312 were part MAG33 stationed in Okinawa and other places.

Great pics Jef. A nice squadron of planes.I think Steve McQueen flew a Stearman I later life!

Sorry about the email thing Timbo. I'm new and not very good with computers plus you'e probably noticed my spell checker dosn't work either.

I better read my RCM&E cos I still don't know where Kettle field is!

Andy

Jeff Glasser02/12/2008 20:59:00
61 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Andy,  yes,  Steve McQueen did own a Stearman.  I read somewhere that his flying instructor stated "that allthough he could ride and drive anything, he never quite grasped flying"

Difficult to imagine that!

Ive added a pic of my own favourite toy, ( It actually belonged to the R.N and R.M. Parachute school )   two things you were told on your first flight in the thing was that it was only a matter of time before you ground looped it, and that it was only safe when in the hangar!

This must have been rubbish as I never found either to be true even after many happy hours of flying it. Now my model flying, that's a different thing altogether!

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/Glasser2008/GlassC18588.jpg

Jeff

Andy Carter08/12/2008 14:47:00
11 forum posts

Wow Jeff. Much respect man. I'm not worthy.

I really like I.C. engines. If it ain't making a noise an polluting the planet I think a model airplane in flight looses something. I must admit however that I have a model-zone Super Cub which is more fun than a barrel load of monkeys and very very convenient. I just throw it in the back of the car and if passing a large field in my Daley travels I stop the car, get the Cub out, throw it in the air, have some fun, then go and pic up the pieces and glue it back together ready for next time!

As you have converted some models to electric I wonder if you could pass on your expert advice. I have a four function Piper Cub which I bought on Ebay. It will fly on a 40class 2 stroke (I was told) so if I convert it to electric (just for shear convenience) what would I need i.e. engine, speed controller, batteries, charger, balancer etc.

Andy

Jeff Glasser08/12/2008 16:27:00
61 forum posts
13 photos

Andy,  your flying capalities with models sounds a bit like mine, I've always got huge stocks of super glue handy. I also found that in the old days of using nylon, not only was this strong, but it also gave you a handy bag to carry the bits home in!

My knowledge of electric flight only goes as far as having a model that should be for I.C. then asking the guys in my local model shop to sell me the motor/battery/speed controller that would suit!  Sorry about that, but I'm sure you'll get a helpfull response on here from people that do know about this black art!

Yes, I agree, there's something lacking with not having the sound of an engine, I'm waiting for the sound effects ( as fitted to larger e-f. models ) people to make stuff that will fit smaller models, and of course cheaper. It can only be a matter of time.

As for the 'respect'  that I assume is re the C.185,  It's said that you can teach a monkey to fly a Cessna! and as you like the sound of aero engines, the 300 h.p. in the C 185 wanted some beating in fine pitch. On arrival in this country, we upset so many of the locals due to the prop tips going super sonic ( like a Harvard I believe ) on take off, we had the engineers take off two inches from the blades, which quietened it a bit! Personally, I can't get enough of loud engine sounds, model or full size. Is that childish? It must be my age!

Jeff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
MHS
Advertise With Us
PuffinModels
BMFA
CML
Airtekhobbies
Braincube Aeromodels
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues