By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Scaled Down 80" Span William Nolitz DHC-1 Chipmunk

Something to keep my interest while I learn to fly...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hugh Coleman10/03/2009 01:39:26
518 forum posts
11 photos
Greetings,

I have obtained a set of plans for an 80" span Chipmunk designed by William Nolitz (The plans state that a .60 2 stroke is appropriate).
Having decided at the outset that 80" was just too big for me to transport, I decided that a half scale version of this (40" Powered by an OS 30 Surpass) might be worth fiddling with.
So the plans have been printed at this scale and cutting has started.
The Horizontal Stab seems to be de riguer for a build start, so that is where I have begun.

I will post updates as I go, and probably ask thousands of questions, as this is to be my first build.

Cheers,

Hugh
Dave S.10/03/2009 05:29:08
220 forum posts
20 photos
So you're still learning to fly, and have decided to start model building with a scaled-down version of a world-championship class scale model? Good luck, you're going to need plenty!
Hugh Coleman10/03/2009 05:45:06
518 forum posts
11 photos
Thanks for the words of encouragement David.
I never said I though it would be easy... And I can see a few ARFs happening in the time I think it will take me to finish this one.
I intend to enjoy the ride regardless.

Cheers,

Hugh
Dave S.10/03/2009 06:04:03
220 forum posts
20 photos
Well, I have to admire a man with ambition. I've been modelling for over 40 years and would certainly think twice before finally turning and walking away from a project of such complexity, especially if I couldn't fly yet. But they say that fortune favours the brave, so the 'good luck' is meant sincerely. 

This is the Chipmunk that won the world scale championships back in the 70s, isn't it?
Myron Beaumont10/03/2009 07:08:06
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Good luck Hugh
I note you've halved the span not the wing area to fit a 30 size ic .I feel at 40" span it will be somewhat overpowered .Maybe a 15 to 20 would be more suitable ?
Bruce Richards10/03/2009 07:31:34
1849 forum posts
I think he is talking about a four stoke OS30 which feels OK to me. But I am no expert.
Andy Harris10/03/2009 08:30:21
464 forum posts
30 photos
It'll be alright.

I'd go electric and slightly larger.  It would make a good intermediate after the 'A' and a bit of stick time.
Hugh Coleman10/03/2009 09:00:34
518 forum posts
11 photos
Thanks for the Feedback guys.
I don't know about the provenance on the design (It was Robert W Nolitz BTW, I got that a tad wrong)...
It looks to be a rather simple plan for the Chipmunk from those that I have seen...
I am well aware of the limitations of my skill set at this stage and know full well that the scaled down model might be a twitchy flyer in this smaller scale.

Yes, the 4 stroke 30 Surpass.  I was wondering what others might think regarding the power suitability ( I also have an OS 15 LA sitting doing nothing).

As regards ambition, this is light weight in comparison to the Aircraft that I really want to one day build and fly (a 1/6 scale Felixstowe F2a powered by two .25s and an 80" or so Supermarine Stranraer), So I consider I am starting small and relatively well within my abilities.

I may be wrong in this...

Cheers,

Hugh
Dave S.10/03/2009 10:46:16
220 forum posts
20 photos
If the plan seems simple, then it is probably not the one he won the scale World Championships with in 1976.
Hugh Coleman13/03/2009 13:40:59
518 forum posts
11 photos
Anyway,
I have also printed the plans out in 60"... Keeping my options open in case the 40" jobbie seems to be getting too heavy during the build.
I have decided to make thigs as easy for my sels as I possibly can, and am constructing the tail feathers with a 1mm balsa sheet core (A sheet of Balsa with the ribs attached to either side..
I did try to do the horizontal stab as a built up frame, but during the skinning process, one side developed a twist.
I will be able to create a much more robust frame work with the core method, and maintaining alignment of the assembly will be much easier.

I have found reference to Robert Nelitz's Piper Cub on other forums, but can find no information whatsoever on the Chipmunk.  Do you have any info Dave?

Cheers,

Hugh
Dave S.13/03/2009 13:47:12
220 forum posts
20 photos
I'd start here, Hugh. I have some pictures in the older magazines, but they are buried a bit deep at te moment
Martin Harris13/03/2009 15:02:52
4716 forum posts
122 photos
Hugh,

I can't imagine why a scale Chipmunk should be any more difficult for you to fly than any low winger that you might move on to as a second or third model - the only advantage with an ARTF being that if you have a nasty it doesn't leave such lasting scars...although the main reward to me of a "proper" build is in the build itself and the results.

I think you might find a 60" version somewhat easier to fly than a 40", wing loading may well end up a little lower and it will be less twitchy and easier to see.

I'd say enjoy the build and the anticipation, get it test flown by someone who knows what they're doing and who knows your competence and then enjoy the fruits of your labours!
Hugh Coleman04/04/2009 12:15:52
518 forum posts
11 photos
Well, the members of my Club are in agreement with you Martin.
At an informal meeting last Wednesday (where a bunch of guys are building a brace of 1/5 scale Mk 22 Spitfires, I was talked into upping the scale again.... They all want me to build it at the original scale of 80"... But I am resisting that and building it at 60".
I have an OS 52 Surpass waiting for it.

Coincidentally, I was speaking to a member of a neighbouring club a few weeks ago who actually saw Robert Nelitz fly his chippy at the 78 Worlds. 

Small world.

Cheers,

Hugh
Jim Carss05/04/2009 08:19:11
1598 forum posts
Hugh,
This is my Chippy built from the Roger Pegg plan, 84" span, It was featured in one of the mags. might have been Radio Modeller.

Took me 9 months to build it,has Super Tigre 75 up front with home made silencer and i have never got around to flying it yet,its stuck in the back of the garage and been there for 4 years now so as trhe weather gets better you never know.

The only problem with the big models is the transportation so I think you are right to go with the 60" version,the canopy can present a few problems when it comes to fitting,i would have liked to fit a sliding job but just a tad to dificult for me.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Jim 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
PuffinModels
BMFA
CML
Advertise With Us
Airtekhobbies
MHS
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues