Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Chipmunk undercarriage

Model Blackhorse

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trev B20/04/2009 09:39:48
2 forum posts
I love by chipmunk to bits, but there does seem to be a problem with the undercarriage  coming loose after a few landings which causes the model to nose over on landing. One of my club members has suggested putting epoxy in mounting hole to reduce movement, any other ideas. 
Walts26/04/2009 15:56:58
156 forum posts
26 photos
Hi Trevor,
          Not sure what you mean by coming lose? Do you mean excessive play back & forth of the legs them selfs?  I found the landing gear wire to be very soft, and even with good landings without any nose overs I find I have to constantly bend the legs forward again to get them just in front of the leading edge of the wing. It's become a routine now I do after every flight and I haven't had a nose over for ages with it since doing this, and the model has been flying for 14 months now.
 You could replace the torsion wire legs for a higher grade of piano wire, and if the holes in the blocks are excessively worn you could try bushing them out with nylon inserts, or as you friend has suggested filling them with epoxy and coating the leg in grease before pushing it in so the legs can be removed for maintanence after the epoxy has gone off
HTH's a little,
Walts.

Edited By Walts on 26/04/2009 15:58:10

Eric Bray26/04/2009 22:35:25
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Don't use epoxy, or the legs will never come out if you snap one!
Squirt a good glob of silicon rubber bath sealant into the gap, that will give a little, rather like a spring, without letting go,  but can be peeled off for repair work, if necessary.
Clive Matthews27/04/2009 19:58:42
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles

After several attempts at re-inforcing the undercarriage, I arrived at this (non-scale) solution.
A piece of 1/4" ply was epoxied into place and this undercarriage screwed in place. I have managed several 'firm' arrivals since, with no problem at all.
Possibly, if the original mountings had been reinforced during the build, this would have been unnecessary!
Whilst I appreciate this solution will upset those who think that this is a scale model, I can only say that the modification has transformed my enjoyment of flying it!
cymaz10/09/2009 12:06:32
2399 forum posts
508 photos
Can anybody help with some pictures of how a four stroke was mounted in the cowl???

I have an ASP .70 sitting in the garage doing nothing ( don't we all  )so I was thinking that the BH Chip would be ideal.

Many thanks

Edited By Peter Smedley on 10/09/2009 12:06:57

Clive Matthews10/09/2009 12:49:02
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles
Inverted!

cymaz10/09/2009 16:07:53
2399 forum posts
508 photos
Hello and thanks but I tried to open it and I could because even though I'm a registered member I don't suscribe to the mag yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clive Matthews26/09/2009 21:48:59
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles
Clive Matthews26/09/2009 21:49:52
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles
cymaz27/09/2009 16:41:39
2399 forum posts
508 photos

Cracking pictures,  thanks for those.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
PuffinModels
Advertise With Us
BMFA
MHS
Airtekhobbies
Braincube Aeromodels
CML
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues