Forum sponsored by CML

Super sixty

electric conversion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator13/09/2010 22:14:23
6563 forum posts
178 photos
Hi Trevor....yes I think its about 250 watts & flys very nicely on about half throttle but with some in reserve....feels like a good 15 up front!!!
250watts is a motor & ESC (electronic speed controller) that will handle a current of 25Amps on a 3S Lipo battery (this type of battery will show about 10 volts under load). Watts equals volts x amps so 25 x 10 = 250watts.....
I use this motor in my Mini Super...its rated to about 350watts but I wanted some "headroom" in case my nominal 250watts wasn't enough. I found an 8x6 prop was enough to generate the 250watts & she flys just fine on this....if I wanted or needed more I could use a bigger prop & this would increase the power available. I have a 40A ESC & use a 2200mAh 3S Lipo battery which gives me a comfortable 10 minute flight. Theres lots of motor/ESC/battery combos out there that would do the same.....
If you're new to the sparky side then take a look at some of Timbos guides in the Electric section for a good overview......I could write reams here but Timbo covers it all very well....probably better than me in fact!!!
If you want to know more or are after some set up advise then please feel free to PM me or simply post back here....very happy to help if I can.....
Tim Mackey13/09/2010 22:56:48
20925 forum posts
303 photos
15 articles
Hi Trevor, you have already asked about the electric conversion on another thread - be careful not to let this develop into "cross posting"  please

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/09/2010 22:58:20

edwards flyboy14/09/2010 10:12:14
60 forum posts
29 photos
My super sixteee has been completed for some time now ,and has been flown many times It created a lot of interest. at the Chester clubs fly -in. This model has turned out to be a real gem,it will fly in all weather conditions,handles very well on rudder elevator and throttle only .It is built exactly to Ben Buckle,s plan.The only changes made was to the front formers in order to bring the prop to the same potition as it would be with an IC engine.the front decking before the windscreen is a removable hatch. The power train is a Turigy 36-42 motor 60 amp controller ads a 4000 3s lipo-lightmax on a 12x6 APC prop.Colour is see thru gold and matt blue solarfilm yes matt, what a performer and a fly anywhere model,im fact it flew at the Rhyl fun fly on Sunday. BRILLIANT.
edwards flyboy14/09/2010 10:18:23
60 forum posts
29 photos
P.S. I am also contemplating building the MINI SUPER and will follow Tim,s advice Trevor youshould do the same. i hope it turns out great for you .Regards Bernard.
Stuart Marsden13/03/2018 21:44:43
142 forum posts
5 photos

Ok, let's see if time will provide some answers for today. I am about to convert a well made Super Sixty, Solatex covered, so not the lightest but not heavy. Motor esc and cell numbers to fly efficiently with low draw please? When I say low draw, my Mercury Matador is using a motor equivalent to a 20 if and runs on3 cells of only 1300 math and poodles beautifully for 20 minutes without over discharge of the cells. I would like to replicate this with my Super Sixty. Cheers.SM

Denis Watkins14/03/2018 06:59:55
2489 forum posts
126 photos

As well as advice you get Stuart, google the obvious question

Keil Kraft Super 60 electric conversion.

There is much out there

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues