Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Prototype BULLET

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Howell05/07/2009 21:29:23
66 forum posts
65 photos

I just wanted to share pics of my prototype edf plane BULLET.It has had one flight already and is going to fly again tuesday. On the first flight i hand launched it and it shot off , i completed a circuit and landed. On tuesday im going to open her up and see what she can do.

Edited By Michael Howell on 05/07/2009 21:33:17

Michael Howell05/07/2009 21:32:35
66 forum posts
65 photos
specs of the plane are

Motor     :2w 20 motor
Esc        :60 amp esc
weight   : 34 ounces
Channel : 3 Channel   

all balsa construction pod and boom, and has solid balsa wing.
will post video after flight.
Simon Chaddock05/07/2009 23:51:57
3541 forum posts
1777 photos
Hi
Well done!
It looks an interesting design. Mounting the edf like that should ensure maximum thrust and minimum ducting losses.
Keep posting.
Doug Ireland06/07/2009 00:17:04
2083 forum posts
41 photos
Weird looking thing but then again, I like weird!
Michael Howell07/07/2009 19:19:36
66 forum posts
65 photos
well the weather was wet and windy but i couldnt wait any longer,once there was a gap in the clouds i installed the battery and gave the plane a launch in to the air and she was away. and picking up speed fast i turned down wind and then came back up the field i cut power to 1/2 and added a little down trim, other than that she was flying good. the CG was how i liked it a little nose heavy. after 3 minutes i landed the plane all was good.
after waiting for the battery to charge and the rain to stop i had another go. this time i wanted to see what she could do, she is capable of fast turns { no tip stall}, fast rolls, inverted flying. I also wanted to check out the stall so i climbed her vertically and cut the power, as she slowed down, and almost stopped she justed lowered her nose. and that was that. (no dangerouse spins etc ) mybe it was the winglets that helped. With the time i had i tried some fast passes, fast climbs. and put her through the paces. this plane flys on rails. I am going to need a bigger battery for longer flight times although with throttle management the 2170 Mah lipo does give a good flight. this plane could fly on a 2w motor and maybe a bit less, i was flying with 2w 20  approx 650 w

after borrowing a camera, i have got video of the plane in flight and will post it when i receive it from the cameraman.
Phil Wood.07/07/2009 19:24:19
3638 forum posts
27 photos
Roughly how long a flight do you reckon you got out of that battery, or were you full chat most of the time?

Polyphilla.
Myron Beaumont07/07/2009 19:46:15
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Michael
Isn't it a high wing version of the EZEFAN ? Looks very much like it to me . NIce one anyway & I like the winglets
Dusty07/07/2009 20:18:45
1632 forum posts
560 photos
Glad it flies well, look forward to the vid!!
Michael Howell07/07/2009 20:35:46
66 forum posts
65 photos
I dont know i havent seen the ezefan, i guess if the ezefan has a edf on the back then i guess it does. but then i guess if the ezefan puts its wings on top and changes its shape, size weight and power unit and wing angle then i guess the ezefan would look like my BULLET.
Michael Howell07/07/2009 20:37:05
66 forum posts
65 photos
thanks dusty will have the video on as soon as i can. we took video as best we could but the plane was fast,
Michael Howell07/07/2009 20:41:58
66 forum posts
65 photos
Myron not sure if the winglets helped but i had no tip stall. after shutting power in a vertical climb. the plane slowed and the nose dropped and pulled out the stall. no dramas, maybe the helped.
there designed to decrease drag at the wingtips, aid in climbing, and reduce power consumption. i guess this may have helped the lift.
Michael Howell07/07/2009 20:45:21
66 forum posts
65 photos
Phil it wasent long maybe 3-4 min in total ( will time, it next time) but i was opening her up then reducing to 1/4 throttle then half, only got two flights in because of the weather, the flights felt long enough. but would like to try a bigger battery. i hope that helps
Myron Beaumont07/07/2009 21:04:54
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Michael
The wing profile is the same .Mine is 36 inch span( a bit bigger than the original ) -It's pod & boom Same fin & tail feathers -so similar in fact .Wished I could upload a picture or two off my 'phone  or web cam but it's beyond me !
Myron
Michael Howell07/07/2009 22:17:29
66 forum posts
65 photos
heres a few more pics till the video comes

i have made the cone removable,  so i can try a 55mm exxhaust for higher speeds

Edited By Michael Howell on 07/07/2009 22:21:15

Michael Howell07/07/2009 22:17:55
66 forum posts
65 photos

Michael Howell07/07/2009 22:18:27
66 forum posts
65 photos

Michael Howell07/07/2009 22:19:16
66 forum posts
65 photos

Simon Chaddock08/07/2009 16:49:12
3541 forum posts
1777 photos
Michael
You will find lots of threads on this site about stalling.

In a straight stall I would not expect anything but the nose to drop, particularly with a relatively small wing span and the plane set slightly nose heavy.

Where care is needed is stalling whilst turning (say turning onto finals). Here the stall is likely to cause the inner wing to drop and simultaneously increase the rate of turn. Even if it does not develop into a proper spin you will probably meet the ground before you can recover!

Get high and try a gentle turn flying as slowly as possible and see what happens. The experience may save your model.
Michael Howell08/07/2009 18:01:57
66 forum posts
65 photos
Thanks for your post i will try what you said. on the next flight and see what happens, i have had the plane at slow speeds tight turns etc,with no wing drop yet . i put the winglets on because i read they help to reduce drag  and hopefully stop air seperation at the wing tips and make the plane stall on the inner wing  first at slow flights ( preventing the wing tips dropping first). in real aircraft they are also meant to help the the plane rate of climb and reduce fuel consumption.
i thought i would try them out, only 3 flights so not sure if they are making much of a difference or any difference at all yet. If anyone has any exsperiance of winglets let me know would be good to here if you thought they made your plane perform better. Im pretty sure they work.
Myron Beaumont08/07/2009 20:57:44
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Michael
Thanks for PM . Have just looked again at your photos. Wouldn't the winglets be even more effective if your ailerons didn't go all the way to the tips. Just a thought 'cos on the Ezefan they stop about 2 inches from the tip ?.Personally on all my own designs I never have ailerons all the way to the tip.I might be wrong but what with the airflow trying to around the tip instead of producing lift the last thing you want is more turbulence .?
G-umpy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
MHS
Airtekhobbies
Advertise With Us
PuffinModels
CML
Braincube Aeromodels
BMFA
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues