Articles

Retro Fly-in dates for 2012

Retro Fly-in dates for 2012

mark your diaries - 20/12/11

Richard Wood11/02/2010 10:28:11
851 forum posts
150 photos
Hi All,
Just had a look on the SMC website & lo & behold there it is!
The Crescent Bullet is back after over 20 years.
A real looker this model - it has that slippery fish type shape
with forward cockpit that was the way to go in the 70's & 80's.
My Avatar thing is a Bullet - it's getting so old now the paint
is starting to crack!
Maybe the Tornado will appear too!

Cheers
Richard

Myron Beaumont11/02/2010 10:40:33
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Richard
One of my favourites in the 70's powered by a Webra 40 with tuned (quiet) pipe . Brilliant model -one of the first with a "plastic" fuselage 'Just checked on the price . £110 --Bit steep isn't it ,however my main worry is I don't have a "40" only 52 four strokers .One OS & two SC's .   I don't know whether it would be the right combination ?
I'm very tempted-just for old times sake .Help =it's becoming a must have impulse in my mind ! Should I pick up the phone OR should I not .
G-UMPY (it might just cure my hiccups ) 
Richard Wood11/02/2010 10:50:29
851 forum posts
150 photos
Ahh those were the days - a Bullet with a Webra 40 on a pipe!
It was a bit hairy for me back then, but some lads had lots of 'em.

Ground clearance might be a thing with a 4st as it's a trike. A 11" is
about max maybe a 12" chopped a bit.
I can see an order coming on.

IanN11/02/2010 10:52:54
933 forum posts
86 photos
Plastic fus, Myron?

My old original example - acquired as a swap a good long while ago - is a trad balsa fus. Tough as a brick lavatory house. I dozily flew it across the sun last autumn, lost orientation and "arrived" in the copse at the end of our patch. The descent through the trees shredded the foam wing but the fus was totally unscathed.

If it helps with the engine choice my slightly overweight example (4lb 4oz) was ok on a OS 46LA but certainly nothing like ballistic or unlimited vertical

I'll probably get around to building a replacement balsa wing somewhen this year.

If the kit is too pricey then someone on here was selling plans at one stage (I bought one). Can't remember who though - sorry

Edited By IanN on 11/02/2010 10:53:55

Myron Beaumont11/02/2010 11:01:51
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Ian  Yes The fuselage came in two halves which took a bit of trimming and modding to get a proper shape .That's about all I remember ! .It was the first foam wing I'd ever had .Had hours &hours of fun with it down Cornwall .Nearly all of us had one .Sorry I'm getting all nostalgic again .Wished I still had my Webra Most reliable powerful quiet engine I think I've ever owned
IanN11/02/2010 11:08:11
933 forum posts
86 photos
There must have been two versions, then. You obviously had the "posh" ones

This current SMC kit says "traditional built up", with foam wing, so I'm guessing this incarnation doesn't have a glass / plastic / whatever fus
Myron Beaumont11/02/2010 11:15:34
5774 forum posts
51 photos
OK
Its decision time ! Never run my 4 st s on a 11 " prop BUT ?
Sensible advice please .Shall I OR shouldn't I ?
and I would much prefer a built up fuselage actually & I might even consider putting my Irvine 53 up front. Just thought of it ,perfect Eh?
G-umpy ( confused 
Barnesyboy11/02/2010 11:16:25
344 forum posts
19 photos
Great to have the classics back, I have it on good authority (i.e the man now in charge of cresent) that there are plenty more of the range coming back, with the Tornado next

BB
Richard Wood11/02/2010 11:24:45
851 forum posts
150 photos
My '87 vintage Bullet was a 'Powerplanes International' version
with all-wood fuse & some of the finest veneered foam wings ever seen.
Hope the latest is as good.
Tonight I'll get the ruler on my Bullet & check ground clearance Myron.

That's good to hear  BB - look forward to seeing the Tornado.

Edited By Richard Wood on 11/02/2010 11:38:29

IanN11/02/2010 12:50:31
933 forum posts
86 photos
Just measured mine. 11" prop is no problem at all. 12" would be on the limit, but just do-able.

I considered putting an Irvine in mine but as it was already slightly overweight, plus there would have been some messing about necessary with reinstalling the gear to compensate for the heavier engine, I decided against it.

If I were building another one from scratch I'd say Irvine would be the way to go

ken anderson.11/02/2010 13:08:20
6362 forum posts
601 photos
my original 'bullet' had an irvine 40 and an irvine tuned pipe......it was the bee's knee's...anybody want some Fun........go get one asap..

ken anderson.........
Tom Sharp 211/02/2010 19:34:33
981 forum posts
my original 'bullet' had an irvine 40 and an irvine tuned pipe......it was the bee's knee's...anybody want some Fun........go get one asap..

ken anderson.........

Whoops there goes another flying field
ken anderson.12/02/2010 11:08:14
6362 forum posts
601 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 11/02/2010 19:34:33:

ken anderson.........

Whoops there goes another flying field
 tom----dont confuse the 'pipe's' of old with the newer generation-of 'quieter' t/pipe's.

young anderson .ne 1..

Eric Bray13/02/2010 23:26:58
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Ah, the Bullet. One of the old Warrington club had one, with a 61 in the front (before 4st was invented!) and it went like the proverbial brown stuff, until a tailplane flutter, followed by a loud bang, was followed by an even louder bang when the remains of the model took a parabolic arc downwards!
Roger in Dubai15/02/2010 09:44:42
137 forum posts
13 photos
Fantastic news that this "classic" is back.  Had one of these many years ago in South Africa, flew as if on rails with a Webra Speed 40 and stock silencer up front.  It was a "proper build", with the whole plane in Balsa and ply where required.

Met its demise as the field was also used by the glider boys and they decided to launch using a winch just after I shouted "Landing".  You can imagine the result of a winch line catching the right wing and the violent flip to the left that occurred,straight into the ground. Not amused, but hey, that is modelling.  Still have the plan at home in SA and is definitely on the build again "one day" list.  Just like the "Dirty Birdy 40" and .......
Richard Wood15/02/2010 12:44:21
851 forum posts
150 photos
It's good to hear that there's still interest in classic old builder's kits
like the bullet. Although 'old' doesn't really seem the right word to describe
it. Perhaps flyers familiar with more modern designs might disagree
but to me it still looks the biz.
Let's hope the re-issue is a big success. In these days of the ARTF
takeaway takeover it must be a gamble for a manufacturer to produce
a £100+ builder's kit.
Hats off to them, I hope they sell shedloads.

Richard (sneezing from balsa dust)

Brian Hammond27/02/2010 08:57:56
118 forum posts
My Bullet arrived from SMC and I thought they had forgotten to put the kit in the box it was so light but it,s because all you get for £110 is the wood, wings,plan and 4 pieces of wire no wonder RTF,s have taken over.The original kit had a cast engine mount (which I,ve still got) a tank,push rods,torsion bars and many odds and ends.It,s going to cost almost as much again to get this in the air!
Myron Beaumont27/02/2010 09:35:30
5774 forum posts
51 photos
Brian
Sorry to hear that & I certainly won't be buying one .I expect an arrival next week of 10 Kg of 38 sheets of balsa plus hardwood plus LE 's plus TE's plus plywood plus spruce strip plus hardwood bearers and much more besides ie snakes ,lite ply ,piano wire etc .  . Basically -I could start up my own model materials supply outlet  for basic materials with what I've accumulated over the years. BUT I really want to build something exceptional & will probably sell everything off to accomplish my dream.. Any ideas anyone ?? I said a while back that I would love to design & build (with the knowledge I've gained off this thread & others) a Vulcan -gas turbine powered model. I still need a challenge !
ken anderson.27/02/2010 13:33:36
6362 forum posts
601 photos
hello brian-typical is the word......no wonder we(the uk modeller's) have taken to the ARTF model's and ditched buying the so called 'kit's'...where it cost's the same again to get the essential bit's to get them in the air...........this remind's me of the so called good old day's when you bought a car(british made) and if you wanted a heater,radio etc...they were all extra's to the price you paid....

bulldog anderson ne 1..
Richard Wood01/03/2010 09:10:00
851 forum posts
150 photos
That's very disappointing Brian.
For that kind of dosh you would expect everything bar covering & glue.
Mind you there are still a few good British kits around for about half
the Bullet's price with all the extras included.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
BMFA
Braincube Aeromodels
CML
PuffinModels
MHS
Airtekhobbies
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues