Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Bulldog or Chipmunk?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James A05/05/2010 18:49:23
9 forum posts
3 photos
Hi all.

I have spent the last few months getting my skills back on an Arising Star after a looong break from model flying.  I have got to the point now where I want to move on to something more like what I was used to.

I like the look of both the VMAR Bulldog and the Blackhorse Chipmunk having spent many happy hours tearing round the sky in both.  I would be putting an SC .61 into whichever I end up getting.  I have had a look through the various posts on here about each individual kit.

The thing is I like the Bulldog, but I also like the Chipmunk, but which is better?  There's only one way to find out........
Bruce Richards05/05/2010 18:53:37
1849 forum posts
Buy them both.
Ross Clarkson05/05/2010 19:44:11
1355 forum posts
99 photos
James,

I take it you have seen my build thread on the Bulldog?

Cant vouch for the flying side of it yet but that is a tough decision anyway. I won the Bulldog but was looking at both anyway as my next model although i suppose that doesnt help you at all!!!! ha ha

I agree with Brucie, buy both
winchweight05/05/2010 20:06:22
2516 forum posts
67 photos
I have the BH 65" Chipmunk and it's a great quality kit. There are a few niggles though:

The cowl has 2 intakes (I blocked one up)
The pilots are refugees from the village people (replaced with Pete's Pilots)
The u/c leg fairings are rubbish (I intend making scale ones)
The rear strakes are missing (I fitted some)
The decals are pants (Pyramid make a few sets which are infinately better)
The instruments are a crappy sticker which is not even close (I made up a semi scale one)

The build quality is outstanding. The cowl and fairings are great quality moulds.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but if you want it scale-ish, be prepared for a little work.
weasel05/05/2010 22:04:02
375 forum posts
6 photos
Hello James, i used to have the black horse chipmunk, it was quite a good plane until it had a mid air crash. like shaun says the pilots are rank. the undercarrige is very weak and the leading edge is very soft. appart from that the plane flys good. i had a sc50 fitted.

I still have the V.M.A.R Bulldog and is a great plane with no vices. it flys very well also the pilot is kinda on the stoke on trent side. The plane is in my opinion, better built than the chipmunk.  it has the sc50 fitted and is well suited for it.

Best  Regards Weasel...........

Marko05/05/2010 22:44:30
469 forum posts
101 photos
hi Shaun you chippie sounds great shame you've no pics of it in your albums ,did the rear strakes make any difference to how it flies  and have you freed the tail wheel from the rudder
cheers .................mark
winchweight05/05/2010 23:13:53
2516 forum posts
67 photos
Hi mate. I lost interest in the build and have stalled. I am about to sell it I think, as turbines are now swallowing up my cash. I'll drop a few pics on tomorrow though.

I didn't free up the tailwheel, but I made sure it had flats filed etc and so far it seems ok.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/05/2010 23:26:27
11512 forum posts
1089 photos
Ohh! Decisions. Decisions!!!

I've built/flown neither so other than prototype preference I can't really comment.

But on that basis I'd buy neither and get a Tiggie instead

BEB

PS I don't suppose that helps a lot! But you did ask
James A06/05/2010 09:50:31
9 forum posts
3 photos
To be honest Bruce that thought had crossed my mind!  The question then becomes which to get first.... 

I was hoping someone may have experience of them both so thanks Weasel that may well have swayed it.

As for the Tiggie, that will be number 4!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Advertise With Us
PuffinModels
Airtekhobbies
MHS
CML
BMFA
Braincube Aeromodels
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues