By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

PSSA Gliding Events 2017

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Jubb16/05/2017 10:11:55
2 forum posts

FYI, there appears to be an F3F event also scheduled for the Bwlch, this weekend:-

**LINK**

Matt Jones16/05/2017 10:22:00
1182 forum posts
901 photos

WHAT?!?! smile o

Steve Houghton 116/05/2017 11:36:28
1824 forum posts
132 photos

Yes that's correct. I found out about this at the weekend and I have spoken with the F3F organisers, who hadn't put the event on BARCS, and nor was it on the BMFA calendar at the time the PSS event was planned. They had it on their own website GBSRA , which I had never heard of. Usually when there are league comps, they appear on BARCS.

The comp is Sunday only, and if the forecast stays as it is forecast now, (south westerly), it shouldn't be a problem to share the slope. The only issue is if the forecast changes and the wind is north easterly or north westerly, then those facing slopes will not support two groups, so a contingency plan has been devised and you will not lose out on any flying.

Steve Houghton 116/05/2017 13:09:46
1824 forum posts
132 photos

I've booked a table for 12 at the Bunch of Grapes, Pontypridd for 8pm and paid a deposit of £5 per head.

Phil Cooke16/05/2017 16:20:35
1899 forum posts
1182 photos

Many thanks for booking us all in Steve - much appreciated! thumbs up

Steve Houghton 117/05/2017 10:42:28
1824 forum posts
132 photos

I'm collecting the Mickeys gate key tomorrow evening, so I will probably be at the Bwlch on Friday around about 5:30 ish, for anyone who wants to fly and doesn't want to walk up the hill, and I shall be there for maybe a couple of hours.

On Saturday morning I will unlock the gate at 10am to let the procession of vehicles through, but then I have to lock the gate behind us, so I'm afraid that anyone arriving after this time, or needs to leave early, before the masses do, will need to walk.

On Sunday we do have to slope share with a F3F comp, however this could yet be cancelled. I will know more on Friday evening. Not ideal I know.

The forecast for Sunday, so far, is for a SSW wind, which makes it "off face" on the main Mickeys slope. However, I need to check but I do seem to remember flying the same ridge, at a spot before reaching the cattle grid and dew pond, which I think would put us square onto the wind, and far enough away from the F3F boys so that there would be no interference.

If this is not the case, then I have made arrangements to use the Eglwsilan Model Flying Club field for car parking, (thanks to Andy Watts, Chairman for this), and we can fly the SW slope of Meio Common , which is only about a 10 min drive from Pontypridd. It's only a short walk from the field to the slope, and the slope generates good lift, little turbulence usually, and a good LZ. All the locals love this slope.

Steve Houghton 118/05/2017 08:29:49
1824 forum posts
132 photos

Just to allow a little competitiveness to this weekends event, there will be prizes for;

• best flown prop model
  • best flown jet model
  • model of the event

The prizes will be given on Sunday but pilots votes can consider models flown either/both days.

We will probably hold a bomb dropping competition also, which could be held on both days but we will make a decision at the time based upon safety due to the close proximity of the F3F competitors. And no, you are not allowed to drop your bombs on them.

The forecast at the moment is showing a SW wind on Saturday, which is perfect for us and having Mickeys all to ourselves.

On Sunday the wind changes to a southerly, so a move to Back of Wrecker is on the cards, at the moment, and we will car park in the Wrecker lay-by. The F3F guys will take the lower section of the slope to the left whilst we have the higher section to the right, and they will park at the side of the road which divides Back of Wrecker and the VR98. There will be plenty of room between the two groups so there is no need to worry, but please be vigilant to be on the safe side.

This will work well for us, however, the lower left hand section can suffer from rotor, so some F3F competitors may walk up to our position to land on the brow of the hill, so just keep your eyes open when planning your landings.

One last thing, one F3F competitor is flying on ch72 35Mhz, so please keep channels 71, 72 & 73 clear, just to be on the safe side.

more bwlch 2 (640x378).jpg

Car parking here

wrecker car parking 2 (640x378).jpg

Peter Garsden18/05/2017 08:36:21
1101 forum posts
679 photos

I will be bringing my Merlin F3F plane just in case! Ha Ha! Or maybe we could trial 10 laps with the Jet Provost - they are pretty fast!

Steve Houghton 119/05/2017 08:08:51
1824 forum posts
132 photos

We're looking really good for this weekend lads, and I will expect to see about 20 mph ish on the slopes on both days.

You may need to bring a brolly as there is a chance of a shower or two on Saturday morning.

Please be at the Ice Cream Slope /forestry gate lay-by before 10AM tomorrow as once I've let the procession of cars through the forestry gate, I have to lock it behind us and it will not be reopened until we depart the slope.

There are no worries about this on Sunday as we shall be flying on the Back of Wrecker slope. So the meeting point will be the Wrecker lay-by. Directly opposite the Ice Cream slope lay-by is a road sign for Port Talbot A4107. Take this road and it winds its way to the top of the hill. The road is straight then for a few hundred metres before bending to the right, where there is then a lay-by on your right hand hand side for you to park in. Parking is limited and some of you may need to park at the side of the road, tight to the verge. Please park as close as you can to the next vehicle in the lay-by so we can get as many cars in as possible.

Directly opposite the road from the lay-by you will see a well trodden path heading up to the brow of a hill, walk up and over the brow until you can't walk any further without falling off the cliff. You can't miss the huge rock about 10m before the slope ridge, (it is the only rock there), and we shall make camp by there.

I will also be flying on Mickeys after work today for a couple of hours, from about 6 PM ish, otherwise I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Happy flying guys

Steve

Andy Meade19/05/2017 09:04:42
2035 forum posts
531 photos

I should be in the vicinity of the Wrecker layby quite early on Sunday morning - so if you see a big white campervan with a PSSA number plate, you'll know you're in the right area

Phil May19/05/2017 09:20:01
1493 forum posts
154 photos
Looking forward to the weekend guys....
See you there.
Andy Meade19/05/2017 19:20:42
2035 forum posts
531 photos
Steve - my dad is making his way up for this weekend so has upped the table seating to 14 and will see us in the Bunch of Grapes at meal time. Just in case you contact them and winder why the seating number has changed!
Chris Barlow20/05/2017 19:20:55
1625 forum posts
1122 photos
Excellent first day guys. Thank you.

Shame about the mid air and how ironic the Avro and Vulcan taking each other out!
Mark Kettle 122/05/2017 03:56:21
1812 forum posts
1248 photos

That was a sad coming together. I hope both models get repaired and back into the sky.

Phil Cooke22/05/2017 10:19:27
1899 forum posts
1182 photos

Still recovering with sunburn and fatigue after a full on 2 days at the Bwlch - a great meeting! - and a big thanks to Steve Houghton for all his efforts in coordinating us on his home turf!

A good turn out, Saturday especially when we flew the S/W Mickeys slope in stunning conditions - once the clag and rain blew through late morning. Sunday the winds changed to S/E and we got to experience the 'Back of Wrecker' slope - again the afternoon brought glorious sunshine and good slope conditions - particularly with the warm thermals combining with the slope lift! An array of new models on display, including the DH Swallow, Canberra, A-10, Blenheim, Thunderstreak and Horten to name but a few...

editimg_9827.jpg

Prizes were awarded 4pm yesterday before the group started to consider their journeys home, congrats to all the category winners;

Best Flown Jet - Dave Gilder - Boeing B-52H Stratofortress (below)

editimg_9944.jpg

Best Flown Prop - Dirk Tinck - Bristol Blenheim (below)

editimg_0343.jpg

Model of the Event - Scott Edwards - BAC Canberra (below)

editimg_8797.jpg

A full detailed report will be added to the PSSA site as soon as I've edited some photos, we took LOTS over the 2 days... thanks again to all who travelled and took an active part - see you at 'BwlchFest 2017' 10th/11th June for more of the same!

Scott Edwards 222/05/2017 19:35:55
122 forum posts
79 photos

Model of the event !!!! Oh wow ! Thank you so much 😎 I'm told my multiple failures at trying to land the thing almost took the paint of the car roofs .... ooops !

Fabulous day, huge thanks to Phil and Steve for all of their great organisation 👍👍
Phil May22/05/2017 19:40:05
1493 forum posts
154 photos
I've got a video of you finaly landing Scott 😆😆
Phil Cooke22/05/2017 20:32:43
1899 forum posts
1182 photos

A well deserved win Scott, the model was stunning and flew superbly - Do make sure you catch Mr McLaren as soon as you can, he has a decent bottle of red for you - he agreed to accept the prize on your behalf on Sunday afternoon!

Peter Garsden27/05/2017 18:04:19
1101 forum posts
679 photos

I normally write my account of the weekend over the weekend, but somehow, beer took over, and I didn't manage it, so here is my account on the LMMGA site - **LINK**

David Gilder28/05/2017 08:32:12
1854 forum posts
615 photos

Great report Mr G.

You appear to have missed the "power walking from the pub" part though!!!

cheeky

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
TJD Models
SHREK
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?
Q: How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Less than 20m
 20 to 100m
 100 to 200m
 200 to 500m
 More than 500m

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us