Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

VQ Kits

Any good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IanN24/01/2011 23:28:54
984 forum posts
86 photos
These look reasonably priced. What are peoples' experience of them?

What's the build quality, finish, and hardware like? In short, are they good value (I don't mind a few minor niggles if the price is right), or are there issues?
David Ashby - RCME25/01/2011 05:24:13
10505 forum posts
1561 photos
596 articles
Pop 'vq' into the search box and you'll see a few threads that may help Ian.
IanN26/01/2011 00:13:29
984 forum posts
86 photos
I should have thought of that, shouldn't I

I hadn't realised these are (apparently) rebranded Air Loisirs. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not but it raises the question of why the rebranding was necessary.

That said, although heaviness is mentioned, from the ltd info available there don't seem to be too many negatives
scott cuppello27/01/2011 17:55:39
860 forum posts
82 photos
No, they are not re-branded, VQ is the manufacturer, Air Loisirs were at one time, the French importer, and that is basically it.

VQ stuff is excellent for the price, make the effort to keep them light and they are worth it, the warbirds are pretty scale, just bear that in mind.
winchweight27/01/2011 18:03:05
2516 forum posts
67 photos
Pretty reasonable for the money and some models you don't see elsewhere on a limited budget; P51B, Sea Hurricane etc.

There's an excellent thread on RCMF about the VQ Hurricane.

i12fly27/01/2011 23:12:14
340 forum posts
I got a P51B under the Air Loisirs brand about 4 years ago, so the info could now be different. This turned out a bit heavy as the 'balsa' was heavy stuff more like obeche etc.
I bought it on impulse and was very slow to put it together. The construction seems quite well made. I've only flown it twice using an SC70FS, it felt good in the air but suffering deadstick each time (possible overheating). The subsequent landings were on the heavy side but the structure remained intact. The 'air loisir' retract undercarriage piano wire was as soft as the proverbial and I decided to rebend some legs in real(?!) piano wire.
I did that about 18 months ago but haven't got around to fitting them yet...
The plane looks good and realistic from 10 paces but close up the weathering effect is a bit toy-like. As I say though, the model may have been modified by now.
Your post has re-sparked enthusiasm for the model sitting up there on the shelf! I'll get it finished and flying again this spring!
scott cuppello28/01/2011 18:01:02
860 forum posts
82 photos
That Sea Hurricane is lovely, I should know, I built and flew the 1st one!
winchweight28/01/2011 19:17:24
2516 forum posts
67 photos
I have one in my loft waiting for me to come home in the summer.
Vinno28/01/2011 21:53:03
90 forum posts
41 photos
Posted by Scott Cuppello on 28/01/2011 18:01:02:
That Sea Hurricane is lovely, I should know, I built and flew the 1st one!

Scott was that the 40 or 60 size ? I have a 65 looking for a home and the 40 size looks tempting if I can get past the slab sides !

winchweight29/01/2011 07:15:35
2516 forum posts
67 photos
If its the Sea Hurricane I think it'll be the 60 size, which is the one I have.
scott cuppello29/01/2011 08:54:26
860 forum posts
82 photos
Yeah, it was the 60 size.
IanN29/01/2011 11:22:34
984 forum posts
86 photos
Scott, thanks for clearing up the VQ/Loisirs branding q. The one that caught my eye was
this

£160 for a 68" twin seems like a lot of aeroplane for the money
Vinno29/01/2011 11:54:38
90 forum posts
41 photos
doh , only have a .65 going begging, the 40 size seems to be even more sport scale and a little slab sided from the few piccies you can find

Philf29/01/2011 19:40:49
26 forum posts
Ive built three and got a forth on the go had no problems apart from the servo tray being loose on the Texan. But allways go round the joints with cyno.

P-51B Mustang Fly's like its on rails looks good in the air. OS 70FS

Cap 10 15cc RCGF Petrol, a bit challenging to fly as at certian attitudes orentation is a problem so needs flying.
AT6 Texan, Satio 72FS Hopefully will maden in the morning.

P-51B Mustang on the bench, OS 81FS being fitted.

For the price I have no complaints and I am planning to buy the 60 size FW-190A for a 15cc RCGF.

Edited By Philf on 29/01/2011 19:42:00

scott cuppello31/01/2011 18:11:09
860 forum posts
82 photos
The big Cap 10 with an RCGF 26 is thoroughly recomended, they are a lot of plane for the money.
Tim Morton19/02/2011 21:27:35
180 forum posts
19 photos
I'm not very happy with VQ... I paid £120 for a FW 190 and I've just had my 2nd FW 190 delivered (the first was damaged - fuselage cracked at the the horiz. stab) and the second has exactly the same problem.
On a closer look both have seem to have a significant lack of glue round the fuselage and the entire lot is a bit wobbly - the tail feathers will not be stable and will fail - no question at all. This is for a 60 - 90 size so you really don't want them coming off...
What’s worrying is what else may be wrong with these models? Anyone got any horror stories (or maybe I've just been unlucky and there are some good ones)
I've already paid so don't know what to do – will probably just have to accept it!!
scott cuppello20/02/2011 03:49:50
860 forum posts
82 photos
That sounds to me like a batch has been damaged on-route to the supplier, I would just return it and ask them to check it BEFORE they send it out [which they should be doing], as somebody has already mentioned, it's worth going round glued joints again on VQ stuff [they are not alone in this respect] ....but it is good value for money......I think it comes down to this, if you are used to building Hanger 9, then it's going to come as a bit of a shock, if you are used to ARF's generally, then not at all, I have the same attitude with all of them, give the manual a quick glance....then bin it...usually do the same with most of the hard-ware, then crack on and build it, and it usually works out no problem.
Tim Morton20/02/2011 13:18:24
180 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks Scott - think you're right it appears to be a batch issue. Slough models will be collecting both tomorrow and delivering a new one (inspected by them this time before it gets posted).
Must say I haven't got that much experience of ARTF's - only been back in the game for the last few years after a 30+ year lay-off.
Since then I've built a few but not so's i've got lots of experience (a World models trainer, an ARC Ready, a Great Planes Big Stick and a Prangster + a few other electric foams). But I quite like building so have built a few own design C/L's, a Limbo Dancer and am in the process of building a TN Hurricane.
Anyway when the next one arrives I'll add plenty of glue and bracing wherever necessary and hopeful it'll stay in one piece. I'm quite impressed at what you get for your money from VQ - if it all works!!!
Tim Morton21/02/2011 12:21:19
180 forum posts
19 photos
One of those "duh" moments...
I was packaging up the damaged FW 190's this morning for Slough to collect and found I'd confused the boxes (being identical and both in my workshop) and opened the one box twice....
Well the inevitable happend - I saw the damaged tail area and concluded both were damaged...
Sorry for leading everyone up the garden path....
scott cuppello21/02/2011 12:27:46
860 forum posts
82 photos
No worries Time, at least you have a good one! Just remember, you only need to cyno all those joints, except for maybe round the firewall, keep the weight down.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
MHS
Airtekhobbies
BMFA
CML
PuffinModels
NEW POLL - i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?
Q: i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?

Only i.c.
 Mainly i.c.
 Only electric/silent
 Mainly electrc/silent
 About half and half

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues