Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

DLE 30 CC throttle setup

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gazzazh27/01/2011 19:03:45
187 forum posts
4 photos
HI ALL,

Since the weather is not really great for flying, i decided to build my Seagull Sparrowhawk. I am in my final stages, but a bit confused with the throttle setup of the DLE 30CC. The throttle linkage on the engine has some sort of a spring that would cause tension on the servo. should i remote the spring?? WIll this tension cause stress on the servo. ?? the spring is beside the low/high/ideal needle.

Thanks a million

Lee Smalley28/01/2011 07:58:51
2060 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles
Hi gaz as with all carbs of this nature they are fitted with a spring on the throttle (its because they are meant for strimmers etc and not for rc) so you can un-clip the spring from the throttle but NOT remove it, if you remove it fully from the carb you can allow sideways movement in the butterfly valve jamming it against the side of the carb wall, the tension will cause stress on your servo so for rc purposes you should always un-clip it
gazzazh28/01/2011 10:37:10
187 forum posts
4 photos
Hi Lee,

I unclipped it as you mention, thanks for the info. I just don't understand how DLE would produce an engine for RC models, and keep this desgin? I mean if it is meant for strimmers, why advertise it for RC..

Cheers

Lee Smalley28/01/2011 13:10:57
2060 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles
ohhh mate thats the tip of the iceberg that is!!!
I bought an MVVS 40cc petrol and it has all the problems of all the other cheaper engines (no proper throttle or choke linkage, a throttle stop fitted and return spring on the carb to name a few) and that cost me 400 quid, they all do it im afraid!!
The carb arm on the MVVS is far worse than the DLE and its twice the cost, they seem to assume we are all engineers (i am ) and we have shed loads of time on our hands (i do not)
Tom Sharp 229/01/2011 02:15:21
1004 forum posts
The DLE 30 has a replacement throttle arm provided and when fitted overcomes the spring pressure to a great extent. On mine I unwound the spring one turn, this gives just enough pressure to pull the throttle closed without straining the servo. I also use an electronic kill switch because there is a bleed hole in the butterfly and it is difficult to kill the engine otherwise.
gazzazh29/01/2011 10:21:12
187 forum posts
4 photos
HI Tom.

Cant you kill the engine by switching the electronic ignition off? I Know a kill switch is safer.. Also with regards to the spring suggested to unhook the spring from the throttle..thus avoiding any strain on the servo.. Its getting confusing now..
Ultymate29/01/2011 10:27:53
1504 forum posts
34 photos
The tension of the springs on a Walbro or Tillotson carb won't hurt a servo at all. On a lot of models I just use a boden cable to pull the throttle open and allow the spring to close it. Never had any issues and if your linkage breaks or becomes disconnected your throttle closes. SSsssimples.
gazzazh29/01/2011 10:48:01
187 forum posts
4 photos
SO should re-hook the spring... Also i am not using a boden cable? I am suing a regular rod linkage.. Thanks
Ultymate29/01/2011 11:51:46
1504 forum posts
34 photos
Hi Gazzazh, no you needn't re-hook the spring if you're using a rod linkage but whatever you do do not remove the spring altogether as this allows excess play in the shaft which causes premature wear of the throttle butterfly and carb body. However if you want the advantage of your throttle closing should your linkage fail or become disconnected then yes re-connect it.
Tom Sharp 229/01/2011 18:51:55
1004 forum posts
quote from gazzazh

HI Tom.
Cant you kill the engine by switching the electronic ignition off? I Know a kill switch is safer..

appreciate your point but you cant switch your engine off manually if your plane is high in the sky and heading back to China.

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 29/01/2011 18:52:25

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 29/01/2011 18:53:50

Martin McIntosh29/01/2011 19:04:07
1244 forum posts
574 photos
To kill a petrol motor just use an electronic switch or a servo connected to a small toggle switch in the ignition battery feed, operated by a spare channel. Simple and essential.
Lee Smalley30/01/2011 22:21:11
2060 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles
How does a Bowden cable pull the throttle open end yet the spring shut it , surely the throttle servo still has to move to allow it to shut the spring will put tension on the servo and cause extra current drain as the servo is constantly under load I don't see the point of leaving the spring attached to the arm, as for throttle cut I use sm services kill switch 10 quid and in the event of battery failure it kills the ignition a switch on the tx operates the kill switc very simple
crispin church01/09/2012 20:20:25
442 forum posts
102 photos

for a kill switch i use a old brushed esc which was motor on or motor off pluged into spare channel

i am using a blower engine and undun the spring as well

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
BMFA
CML
PuffinModels
MHS
Airtekhobbies
NEW POLL - i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?
Q: i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?

Only i.c.
 Mainly i.c.
 Only electric/silent
 Mainly electrc/silent
 About half and half

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues