Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Sullivan Dynatron vs. J'En Geared Starter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scruffmeister10/04/2011 20:36:56
231 forum posts
29 photos
I'm looking at investing in a new starter, and I'd like to buy something that will hopefully last "forever". As such, it needs to be robust and powerful since I may at some point consider working with larger petrol engines although not any time soon.

I'm comparing two models, the Sullivan Dynatron which I know has a very large and happy following, and the J'En Geared Starter. Both items can be seen on this link.

My dilemma is that the J'En costs about 1/3rd of the Sullivan. Has anyone got experience of either/both of these starters and care to offer me their advice?

Cheers.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/04/2011 21:03:35

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/04/2011 21:07:24
11516 forum posts
1089 photos
SM, please read this thread which explains how to insert links into posts correctly. If you simply cut n paste the URL it damages the page formating and results in your, and all subsequent posts, dissapearing under the adverts to the right!

BEB
David Ashby - RCME11/04/2011 08:24:07
10405 forum posts
1511 photos
582 articles
Dad's been using the JE one for the last couple of years and it's been fine. Nice and easy to hold unlike some of the very big starters. I borrow it for my 1.20 four-stroke and have no problems.

YakMad11/04/2011 08:25:12
465 forum posts
I have the J'EN geared starter and use it to start larger glow engine's, OS 160 FX and Saito 150 and 180 fourstrokes, one of our club members uses one to start his 34 cc petrol engines. I have not used the Sullivan Dynatron but I used to have a standard Sullivan starter which had very poor torque compared to the J'EN starter. Don't forget that the standard 7 amp/hour 12 volt is not capable of proving sufficent current to turn over larger engines, I use an 18 amp/hour 12 volt.
Stefan Hafner11/04/2011 08:27:43
378 forum posts
15 photos
I've been usingthe JE one for years now, lots of power, I've used it on up to 35cc petrols and starts them with easy, and much cheaper than the Dynatron
Adrian Smith 111/04/2011 15:31:49
442 forum posts
8 photos

Well I think the Dynatron is overpriced and in some instances downright dangerous. Here's why.

I have used it of engines like OS 160 FX and OS 200 FS and on a cold day it struggles to turn the engine over unless you use two 12V batteries connected in series (as instructed by the manufacturer). However, this is not without danger because the cup has to be centred perfectly of sooner or later the metal cup will spin off as the amount of thread it's on is minimal. It was good job I was wearing safely glasses at the time!! Also the shaft was bent rendering the thing unusable.

I am on my second Dynatron but I think when that gives up I will try the J'EN if the posts are correct. But PLEASE, PLEASE guys do use safety glasses when starting these engines.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
TJD Models
Airtekhobbies
Advertise With Us
MHS
CML
BMFA
Braincube Aeromodels
PuffinModels
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues