Hobby King

Delivery issues and a UK warehouse!?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JayCee22/06/2011 07:35:29
500 forum posts
117 photos
First time ever!

32 orders from Hobby King with no problems. Now they have switched to EMS Speedpost....and parcel held by UK Customs, apparently a customs fee is payable before release!

Anybody else had this?

JC
00122/06/2011 07:38:14
2211 forum posts
1 photos
What was the weight & value JayCee?

I have just had a large but low value box from HK delivered with no hold-ups.
JayCee22/06/2011 07:55:30
500 forum posts
117 photos
Well it was for seven Lipo batteries!

The Hobby King Invoice details are Invoice Total $41.25 USD Shipping $14.23 which is £34.24.
As far as I am aware you are allowed a 'Gift' up to £40.00!

Not sure of the charges yet waiting until 8am to start making phone calls!

Jc
JayCee22/06/2011 08:19:59
500 forum posts
117 photos
Well I have to pay import duty + vat total £24.00 to get the parcel released!

Hobby King batteries not so cheap after all!

Telephoned Customs and Excise, no joy there £18.00 maximum apparently, item not considered a 'Gift'

So be warned make multiple small purchases and pay the extra posage!

JC
Ben B22/06/2011 08:24:34
1238 forum posts
4 photos
I believe that C&E recently changed their thresholds for inspection and / or charging. It is annoying though when it happens because it inevitably slows the shipping.
Simon B22/06/2011 08:54:44
1748 forum posts
250 photos
Looking at that, even for higher capacity batteries I think Giant Cod will pick up a ton more trade now. Certainly I'll be looking to them now.
Steve W-O22/06/2011 09:30:35
2775 forum posts
310 photos
The answer to this is given on the HK website somewhere.

There are restrictions for sending lipos by ordinary airmail.

Three 2200mAh, or two 4000mAh batteries will come through ordinary airmail OK.

If you have to order large numbers at the same time, use the DE warehouse.

Like most orders from HK, it is how you do it that matters, if you put the wrong parcel together, it is likely to get stopped.

Do the homework, and it is likely to come straight through.
Lee Damms22/06/2011 10:16:29
200 forum posts
65 photos
Unfortunately the restrictions get tougher in November 2011 see the HMRC website vat is going to be payable on goods over £15
JayCee22/06/2011 16:47:42
500 forum posts
117 photos
Hi
Well now have my batteries decided to drive the 8 miles, pay and collect.

To clarify what I have been told, firstly, by HM Customs, although Hobby King mark the item as a 'Gift' which allows £40.00 without paying VAT or import duty. HM say it isn't a Gift as you are purchasing 'Hobby Parts' from a supplier for your own use, therefore the max limit is £18.00 and the include P&P in that figure!!

Although the items are shipped via EMS (Singapore Post) the UK delivery is Via Parcel Force and they charge you £13.50 handling charge just to let you know that your parcel is being 'Held' pending payment of VAT!

The final cost was £ 20.92, £7.42 VAT and £13.50 to Parcel Force. So about £3.00 extra per battery!

I notice Steve's comments regarding purchasing from the DE Warehouse, but as we all know their stock is very limited and costs more anyway.

Still that was my 32nd order from Hobby King and the first time I have had a problem. But it's worth being aware of the pitfalls, making several smaller orders appears the best route!

JC

NigelH22/06/2011 19:42:20
890 forum posts
1 photos
The VAT charge can't be considered to be unreasonable but that Parcel Force charge certainly can. And to think that we've been bailing out their pension fund, etc while the staff have been getting bonues.

I looked at the GC packs again and for me, there still isn't any incentive to use them. Roll on the first UK HK store opening.

Erfolg22/06/2011 22:25:02
8107 forum posts
607 photos
Yep, small purchases are the way to go.

I do not break orders down though, as this could be seen as tax avoidance, I just buy as needed.

I saw "The one show" today, where they were getting all piece over tax avoidance, I just wonder how many buy duty free at an airport, go on a booze cruise, give small gifts to children to avoid Inheritance Tax, and a multitude of other actions, in such a way that tax will be reduced, or avoided.
Steve W-O23/06/2011 04:46:29
2775 forum posts
310 photos
Posted by Erfolg on 22/06/2011 22:25:02:
Yep, small purchases are the way to go.

I do not break orders down though, as this could be seen as tax avoidance, I just buy as needed.

I saw "The one show" today, where they were getting all piece over tax avoidance, I just wonder how many buy duty free at an airport, go on a booze cruise, give small gifts to children to avoid Inheritance Tax, and a multitude of other actions, in such a way that tax will be reduced, or avoided.

What is wrong with avoiding tax?

The department themselves even tell you ways to reduce your liability.

The wrong is avoiding paying taxes due.

Everybody should plan to reduce their liability in legal ways, thousands of experts make their livings giving such advice.

There are rules (like the time before you die you have to give gifts) as long as you play by the rules, it is fair. The fact that some people don't know the rules, or get caught for more than they need to, then get jealous and squeal, is a sad way to live.

Erfolg23/06/2011 10:21:32
8107 forum posts
607 photos
Steve, a man after my own heart.

The One Show was railing against tax avoidance, as if it is a sign of a lack of morality. Taking their view to the absolute extreme, my use of postage, to obtain goods is immoral, as I am avoiding paying fuel duty, some vat etc. by not using my car. Yet on the other hand, maybe it is a Greener way of shopping. Specifically The One Show was complaining that Banks and some property companies were organising there operations to minimise tax or were working from locations where taxes were lower than the UK.

Which reminds me to buy another Lipo from HK.
Ultymate23/06/2011 10:48:32
1494 forum posts
34 photos
Spotting the title of this thread I thought you may be interested to know that HK are now advertising for staff for a depot in the north of the UK
Simon B23/06/2011 10:56:27
1748 forum posts
250 photos
It's immoral for a company to do the majority of their custom in the UK, yet avoid tax by having a PO box in a foreign country to dodge their fair share. If that's ok by the rules then the rules should be changed. Personally I like libraries, my roads being maintained, schools that aren't falling apart etc, and if that means companies pay their fair dues then fair enough.

As for the £13.50 post office charge, they store your item while they wait for you to pay, have paid for it in advance for you and some poor sod (nearly put a none swearword that would have got me told off!) will have to do the paperwork on the transaction. If we don't like it we can avoid paying it by buying our goods in the UK from someone like Giant Cod, or accept that if we want cut price items from the far east it's a risk we accept.
Tony Smith 723/06/2011 11:31:42
761 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by JayCee on 22/06/2011 08:19:59:
Telephoned Customs and Excise, no joy there £18.00 maximum apparently, item not considered a 'Gift'

So be warned make multiple small purchases and pay the extra posage!

JC

C&E definition of "Gift", so its not surprising that they disputed it ..

To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.
Erfolg23/06/2011 12:26:53
8107 forum posts
607 photos
Simon

Do not be surprised if those business go else where. It was the idea that they had the right to go elsewhere avoiding UK taxes, when not a consequence of the UK operation, that the last Government challenged. They rightly only pay taxes they must, as most of us do.

Taxes can act as a distinctive to do anything, that is why the Morecambe Bay gas field could well stay closed, some will not work if more tax must be payed etc.. We should expect to pay for the services we want and use, not expect others to pay, nor should we surprised that others do not agree that they should pay the taxes.

In the case of personal imports, the value is up to £18, excluding postage etc. After that you are hit for everything and anything that can be seen as part of the service. A  link 2.4 to the relevant page

Edited By Erfolg on 23/06/2011 13:06:04

Ultymate23/06/2011 12:59:04
1494 forum posts
34 photos
The £18 allowance is about to be reduced to £15.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator23/06/2011 14:26:18
11821 forum posts
1091 photos
Two brief "Mod" points chaps with respect to this thread:

1. While I have some sympathy with your view Simon it off thread I'm afraid - so can we leave the topic of wether companies should or shouldn't - and stick to the question of modellers purchases form overseas and the tax situation regarding that please.

2. No one has yet - but can I just council anyone who might be considering it against giving any advice on here that might amount to an explaination of how to break the law!

BEB
PatMc23/06/2011 14:37:57
2254 forum posts
281 photos
The £18/£15 limit does include P&P. See 3.1

Personally I think that the handling fee etc charges made by RM (or whichever carrier) are reasonable & to be expected.

Actually many of the lipos from the HK Euro warehouse are at good prices & undercut UK based retailers. However their postage is slower (IIRC within a week) & I think the minimum shipping weight means that it's only worthwhile with a sizeable order.

Edited By PatMc on 23/06/2011 14:39:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
BMFA
CML
PuffinModels
MHS
Airtekhobbies
New Poll - do you always stick to your TX maker's Rxs?
Q: New Poll - do you always stick to your TX maker's Rxs?

Yes, always
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 No, they're too expensive
 No, they dont make what I want

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues