Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

New Seagull Silence Twister

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Laughton03/09/2012 09:51:35
566 forum posts
52 photos

Flaps and retracts now rigged / programmed in - the model is ready for its' maiden flight if the time and weather permit but that looks as though it is going to have to be end of September (assuming the field conditions are ok and the test pilot has the right frame of mind!)

Do need to sort out the messy wiring inside though....

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 03/09/2012 09:52:23

John Redmond02/02/2013 19:07:31
6 forum posts
1 photos

Well I have a large box sitting in the workshop tonight yes

I've been flying a World Models Super Chipmunk 90 over the last few months, but it wasn't the same buzz, so I took the plunge and picked up another Twister.

I'm going to do the following different,

• Run the LED's on a lower voltage, I was using an old 4.8v nicad but I think that was too much ( any advice gratefully received )
  • Look at the way the spats are mounted or make ally copies
  • Make sure the canopy is secuure. (Thee replacement for the last was delivered days after the first Twister demise sarcastic)
  • Carry out some supplemental fuel proofing ( I was getting oil creep near the exhaust )
  • Replace the plactic retract bellcranks with a more robust type.

I'll carry on with the .91FS, it was Ok for my flying style. All new servos too, the others got lost in other airframessurprise

I'll keep you all informed!

David Ashby - RCME04/06/2013 10:22:28
10462 forum posts
1519 photos
588 articles

Jut wondered how the Twister owners are getting along? Is the u/c holding up ok? Are you pleased?

Jon Laughton04/06/2013 18:09:11
566 forum posts
52 photos

Well David embarrassingly I am still awaiting the maiden flight...the model was completed last year!

This is because I was looking to fit electric retracts as the pain of rigging the model at the field was putting me off...and although I found / bought some expensive ones from the USA I realised when they came that to make them fit I would need to eat into the wing leading edge which I am loathe to do as well as hack at the wheel well around the main spar....

Our club currently flies from a publicly accessed grass strip in a park and my experience with retracts so far is not good especially when the ground is heavy / rutted!

We should be moving to a new field later this year which may make things better....

Notwithstanding the above I am thinking of taking the plunge this week as the weather is so good and the ground conditions ok.....

Watch this space?

Jon

Jon Laughton29/06/2014 19:19:12
566 forum posts
52 photos

Well the maiden happened finally last week - the u\c is a right pain to rig correctly and I couldn't get it right at the field so flew with the u/c fixed down. I'm going to sort this at the workshop with a 3rd party to advise but it is not a good design at all. The push rods from the servos will be upgraded from 2mm to 3mm for required stiffness and the plastic bell crank replaced with metal ones.

The model flew nicely although I need to get more aileron movement as a matter of personal choice. Not a 3D model but thats fine for me as I prefer pattern aerobatics.

The OS95AX seemed a very good choice and over ten flights or so never coughed at all...

The model looks great in the air even with the u/c down

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 29/06/2014 19:20:03

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
BMFA
CML
PuffinModels
MHS
Airtekhobbies
New Poll - do you always stick to your TX maker's Rxs?
Q: New Poll - do you always stick to your TX maker's Rxs?

Yes, always
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 No, they're too expensive
 No, they dont make what I want

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues