Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Super Sixty - any good mods?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Djay08/09/2013 09:54:01
536 forum posts
445 photos

Mine has a 27 year old OS 48 Surpass four stroke in it, swinging a 12 inch prop.

It is a delight to fly, plenty of power, but mostly flown on around 1/3rd throttle as this is the best speed to enjoy the model.

Only mod I done to mine was add wing bolts instead of banding the wing on.

It is one of my favourite planes and flies in all weather including high winds. Couple of pics in my albums.

Just build as per the kit and it will be fine, no mods needed to the construction.

Darryl

Handyman08/09/2013 10:28:39
172 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Bob. Great that you are having a go at the old Super Sixty. I picked up an old 3 channel one recently that was sold by Ben Buckle kits. I wanted an aileron version and I Contacted Colin Buckle and got a separate wing plan showing ailerons. You are correct about the dihedral. It is only 1.2" under each wing tip for this version.

This aircraft is not meant to be a "Speed machine", but a aircraft that will give you hours of very steady flying and makes a good trainer. I built and flew one of these when I was in the Army in Germany in 1960,Hildesheim to be exact, and I got to use the grass airstrip when there was no flying taking place. I would have said that for a flat bottomed wing, a 40 engine would be the maximum that I would use, as for changing the airfoil section to a semi-symmetrical, why change a classic. If you want a model with that sort of wing, then go for the venerable classic "Wot 4".

Never the less, enjoy the build, its my next build when the weather gets too bad to fly.

Handyman08/09/2013 10:33:49
172 forum posts
1 photos

One thing that I forgot to mention, When I first started to use nylon as a covering on my aircraft, an old modeller said to me, and I quote," You will always have a bag to carry the bits home in". Do you know, he was correct. The nylon covering always seemed to keep all the broken pieces of balse inside and repairs were always easy to carry out.

Bob Cotsford08/09/2013 17:06:21
6834 forum posts
366 photos

After 12 months I'd just about forgotten I'd still got this kit as other builds had taken priority, thanks for reminding me about it!

Mike Etheridge 108/09/2013 18:06:30
1293 forum posts
335 photos

Don't forget some modellers have suggested the wings should be strengthened around the centre section if the Super 60 is going to stunt to any degree.

MJE

Derek Stevenson12/10/2017 15:00:07
243 forum posts
4 photos

I was given a three channel Super 60 some time ago, I put a Leo 27 in it and it had ample power. Changed it for an ASP 30 four stroke, takes a bit of care getting it off the ground and into the climb. Once a bit of height is gained it flies beautifully, however I don't fancy flying mine in a high wind??

Keith Evans 312/10/2017 16:44:33
309 forum posts
37 photos

The one I am constructing at the moment has the following --- Radial cowl ---Flaps and ailerons ---provision for wing incident adjustment --bolted on or rubber band wing mounted option --- bolted on tailplane ---wing struts --- trike U/C ---and powered by a PAW 35 .I've also strengthened the wing centre section .

gangster12/10/2017 20:26:42
703 forum posts
7 photos

The low wing super 60 is a magnificent model. Looks good, viceless and super stable. Probably make a good first model. Uses the same wing as the aeleron high wing version. Plans and kits were certainly available from Colin Buckle. Assume they still att

Richard Elliot12/10/2017 21:14:09
176 forum posts
115 photos

You could always turn it into an Autogyro img_1123.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
How has your building graduated?
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues