Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

model shops in bath?

are there any

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon B22/02/2013 14:15:36
1748 forum posts
250 photos
I'm here for the weekend and an initial google seems to suggest there isn't anything, but can anyone help?
Martin Harris22/02/2013 14:31:04
4856 forum posts
126 photos

There was one in Lower Borough Walls - but as I was last there sometime around 1968 I doubt that this is much use!

Stop Press - just went on Google Maps and Bath Model Centre popped up in the picture (can't post a link to Streetview for some reason!)

Stop Press again:

A Bath independent business which has spanned eight decades has shut its doors.

The Bath Model Centre, in Lower Borough Walls, closed on Saturday and the last of the stock was picked up today.

Bob Graham, whose son Mike has owned the shop for the past ten years, said the business had been forced into the ground by high rents and business rates.

He said: “It is a lack of trade and steep overheads. The business rates are going up again in April, they are extortionate, and we have high rent.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/02/2013 14:56:39

Michael Hickman22/02/2013 14:56:47
300 forum posts
8 photos

Hi

I am not local so this maybe inaccurate, The Bath Chronicle (10 Feb 2012) reports "The Bath Model Centre, in Lower Borough Walls, closed on Saturday and the last of the stock was picked up today.

Read more: **LINK**"

Mike

Edited By Michael Hickman on 22/02/2013 15:06:28

Martin Harris22/02/2013 14:59:55
4856 forum posts
126 photos

Interestingly their website is still live...

crispin church22/02/2013 15:33:26
442 forum posts
102 photos

if your after any plane or heli they was no good any way

calne there one and bristol and swindon thats it

cars also one in trowbridge but no good for anything but cars

Michael Hickman22/02/2013 15:33:33
300 forum posts
8 photos

I hope my info is wrong. It was only after a quick Google, as I was going to add them to my Map, but now won't until someone can confirm the shop is active.

on a slight tangent

I noticed on their picture "Modellers Den", I remember a small group in Bristol/Bath area from my teens that traded as The Modellers Den. I assume this is a branch that went independant.

Edited By Michael Hickman on 22/02/2013 15:33:59

Bearair22/02/2013 18:53:22
386 forum posts
22 photos

Steve Harper Models Wells Rd in Bristol probably your closest depending on which side of Bath your on.

Modelers Den were in Fairfax St Bristol and a branch in Bath, The one in fairfax st moved along the road abit and became Antics.

Simon Chambers22/02/2013 19:23:10
775 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Bearair on 22/02/2013 18:53:22:

Steve Harper Models Wells Rd in Bristol

It's Ian Harper Models in Bristol wink 2

Choices around the Bristol area: - depending where your travelling from.

• Ian Harper Models in Bristol - a very traditional model shop. Not a very chatty bloke - so don't expect a cup of tea and a chat. Well stocked shop.
  • Antics in Bristol Centre - its Antics, so don't bother! Unless you want some dusty old boxed model or a BB gun, etc...
  • Als Hobbies in Bristol - CLOSED last year.
  • Puffin Models just North of Bristol - open in the morning on the Saturday. Not really a model shop, more a warehouse.
  • Bath itself - nothing

A bit further a field but still relatively close to Bath:

• Model Manaics in Calne - a bit far from Bath but excellent stock and very good prices - comparable to the large internet retailers. Watch out for the opening times though, as they're fairly limited.
  • Model Discounts in Weston-Super-Mare - pretty good shop, but I've not been in too much.
  • Swindon Model Centre in Swindon - Really nice model shop, not the best prices, but excellent stock and really friendly service. You forgive that they're priced at a traditional model shop price from them being so friendly and helpful. Also makes up for the fact your visiting Swindon.smile

So in a nut shell. Nothing in Bath. If you want to stand around, chat a bit and buy a few odd-and-sods then go to Swindon. If your after buying a model or something reasonably sized and want a competitive price, go to Model Manaics. If your after some expensive and high quality Czech electric bits, then goto Puffin Models. However if you want somewhere close and need bits, then Ian Harper.

Hope this helps! (and not too late...)

Si.

Bearair22/02/2013 19:28:48
386 forum posts
22 photos

Sorry got my Steve and Ians mixed up, he should of stayed as Fred!wink 2

kevin b22/02/2013 20:50:16
972 forum posts
120 photos

Bob Graham, whose son Mike has owned the shop for the past ten years, said the business had been forced into the ground by high rents and business rates.

He said: “It is a lack of trade and steep overheads. The business rates are going up again in April, they are extortionate, and we have high rent.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/02/2013 14:56:39

That's curious. A business that size should be covered under small business rates relief and shouldn't be paying any ! I know of several businesses larger which don't.

kevinb read the small print dept

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
PuffinModels
MHS
BMFA
Airtekhobbies
Advertise With Us
CML
NEW POLL - i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?
Q: i.c. or electric - what do you mainly fly?

Only i.c.
 Mainly i.c.
 Only electric/silent
 Mainly electrc/silent
 About half and half

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues