Forum sponsored by CML

Whiz Kid builders

I just got to build this one!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Reid18/06/2015 17:18:08
195 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Scott. My Whiz Kid stays permanently rigged as it's small enough to go on the shelf, and in the car that way. Coincidently, I am just finishing an electric Cliffwhacker. All built, just the covering to do. I'll be using Hobbyking's covering film. At under half the price of Solarfilm, it's great value, and I think it's actually better than the original product.

Chris.

John Roberts 918/06/2015 18:02:21
153 forum posts
167 photos

Hi Scott,

I built mine with a flat underside to the wing and it flies very well. It made the job of covering the wing much easier too. I have found that covering film is reluctant to adhere properly to an under-cambered profile.

The Whizzer is a very nice design. I enjoyed building mine very much. Enjoy yours!

Scottrik18/06/2015 18:38:15
25 forum posts

When I said "flat" I was meaning "without dihedral" rather than "without under-camber", Chris said both could be done, no dihedral and/or no under-camber.

Chris, I'd very much like to see the front of your Cliffwhacker with the power system, etc., in-situ. My Cliffwhacker will be powered as well. Did you do flaps or no?

Scott

Andy G.18/06/2015 18:49:31
371 forum posts
215 photos
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 17/06/2015 21:58:56:

June 2013 issue Andy

**LINK**

Found it!.. Many thanks Woolston Flyer! Fro the look of the plan it's even easier to build than it looked! Think I may well have to have me one of those..

Chris Reid18/06/2015 20:11:52
195 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Scott. Photos below as requested. My Cliffwhacker has been built out of my in-stock items selection so I've made a few alterations to Alex's plan to use wood etc that was available The motor is an Emax 850kv item and I'm going to use a 10x6 folder that was kicking around. I'll use 2200mAh 3S lipos as they are my standard battery, probably two in parallel if I find I need the nose weight. Ideally I would have extended the nose a bit to fair in the spinner a little more, but good old Alex used 3 foot sheets for the fuselage sides, and I couldn't be bothered with the redesign work for what will be a slope hack. Apart from that, I've increased the tail feathers to 3/16" sheet, and used 1/8" wing ribs without the caps. My wing section is a bit slimmer in consequence, but used up a couple of pre-shaped leading edge strips that I had. I haven't bothered with flaps, and have reduced the length of the ailerons by one rib bay because my ailerons are a bit wider to use some pre-shaped TE stock (Wing chord is the same). I reduced the size of Alex's giant dihedral braces, and have used closed loop cables for the rudder and elevator. Apart from that, I haven't changed a thing!

Chris

img_2634.jpgimg_2633.jpgimg_2632.jpg

Rob Irwin18/06/2015 20:56:06
30 forum posts

Here some more pictures of my Whizkid. You should be able to see the dihedral and undercamber. As I said earlier it was built as per the plan.

Edited By Rob Irwin on 18/06/2015 20:57:12

John Roberts 918/06/2015 21:21:37
153 forum posts
167 photos

Hi Scott

Mine was also built without any dihedral and I haven't encountered any adverse effects. There are quite a few photos earlier in this thread and also in my album.

Have fun!

Chris Reid19/06/2015 07:35:52
195 forum posts
79 photos

Nice build Rob. Looks like you had no problem with attaching film to the undercamber. For those debating flat bottom v undercamber: if you paint the bottom of the ribs with Balsaloc or Solarlac, and iron the film on to the ribs before doing the final shrinking, it is straightforward job.

Chris.

Chris Reid19/06/2015 09:20:18
195 forum posts
79 photos

Another Cliffwhacker pic Scott. This one was on my phone.

Ccw 3.jpg

Scottrik19/06/2015 15:24:17
25 forum posts

Hi Rob--I believed you, I just hadn't been able to tell from your initial pictures, hence the query. These new pictures sure show off what an excellent job you've done!

Another great build Chris--that Cliffwhacker looks the business! Didn't change much

Rob Irwin19/06/2015 19:20:51
30 forum posts

Yep that's ok Scott. Just thought I'd post some pictures. Thanks for the kind words from yourself and Chris. I used Balsaloc on the undercamber and it wasn't an issue solarfilming.

Cheers, Rob.

Andy G.29/11/2015 10:38:07
371 forum posts
215 photos

Built mine and been test flying it recently... I built my version with no dihedral or undercamber. Balanced it at the indicated point, which required around 25gm of tail weight , but when i maidened her she was horrendously tail heavy to the point where I only just got her back down in one piece!! Removed the tail weight and she flew better, but had very little control authority. Having checked her over it looks as if I have got the tail boom in at a small angle thus affecting the tail incidence and that's probably the cause of the CG issue. Couldn't increase the control surface movement so tacked on some extensions to increase the area. that seems to have helped considerably with control. Next problem was a serious lack of power, I was using a 7x4 folding prop. I don't have a larger one with the correct shaft size for the motor to hand, so for the next flight test I will be using a regular 8x5 prop to see what effect that has. Hopefully, once the power issue is sorted she will be a nice little flyer.

A couple of pics attached below.. whizz014.jpg

whizz015.jpg

Chris Reid29/11/2015 17:47:09
195 forum posts
79 photos

It's good to see another Whizkid underway Andy. I still fly mine on most outings. I use it to get my hand back in after a lay off. If you have had CG issues, it's probably that your carbon boom is a bit light. Others have had this problem; if you go back through the inputs you may find advice that helps. Once you get it in trim you will find it great fun to fly. Mine is pretty aerobatic, but if I had my time again, I would have made the elevator a bit bigger.

Geoff Peacock05/05/2018 18:16:11
142 forum posts
53 photos

Wow, nearly 3 years since I last looked at this post. Much has happened since then, but sadly, not of the aeromodelling kind. I can however, show you some of my (still) part-built Whiz Kid, and as I said, it's different!

Let me know what you think when you see the pics.

w-kid-comp.jpg

w-kid-v-tail.jpg

w-kid-nose-rhs.jpg

Chris Reid05/05/2018 20:41:35
195 forum posts
79 photos

Great to see the Mills powered Whiz Kid close to finishing. I will be interested to hear how the butterfly tail performs, also how the weight/performance of the Mills 1.3 compares with the vertical climb of my brushless motor and 1000 mAh battery. My Whiz Kid is still going strong, and I flew it today in brilliant sunshine.

CR

Geoff Peacock16/05/2018 16:33:47
142 forum posts
53 photos

Hi again Chris,

I'm a bit late posting thse pics, which show the Whiz Kid in it's its original state. However…

The V-tail did throw up the problem of causing a difficult to control Dutch roll which, not helped by my inconsistent flying, made me re-think the design. So, it's back to your original tail feathers design (eventually). Hope you approve.

Currently stripped of the V-tail, it awaits my (slow) attention. The stab and fin are made, but not yet fitted, and who knows? I might even resist and go electric!

w-kid nose end view.jpg

w-kid frt view.jpg

w-kid tail view.jpg

Chris Reid16/05/2018 18:45:22
195 forum posts
79 photos

Great colour scheme Geoff which suits the model very well. Shame the V tail didn't work out as it looks good. If you are going back to convetional tail feathers, I would increase the size of the elevator a bit. My design is fine for a whizzy glider, but a bigger elevator would make it a bit more aerobatic. Got to make a new battery hatch for mine as it fell off last time out.

CR

Geoff Peacock16/05/2018 22:46:29
142 forum posts
53 photos

Posted by Chris Reid on 16/05/2018 18:45:22:

…I would increase the size of the elevator a bit. My design is fine for a whizzy glider, but a bigger elevator would make it a bit more aerobatic.

Elevator already increased, I think because of previous comments on here.

Aerobatic? Me?
Not really. I just want something which will climb and then glide back home, hence the free-flight tank refitted to the Boddo Mills. The r/c carb is not too controllable, although I could still do a bit more tuning to improve it.

I was pleased with the V-tail's appearance - it really does seem to look right, but it obviously wasn't to be, or was it my shortcomings in piloting skills? Quite possibly! thinking

Chris Reid17/05/2018 07:00:01
195 forum posts
79 photos

My guess on the V tail is that you may have insufficient angle between the surfaces, and effectively insufficient fin area. Martin Simon's design book recommends 110 degrees, and the same area as a conventional fin and tailplane, but I would have gone closer to 90 with the same area as fin and tp. But who am I to challenge the master?

CR

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues