Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Jeti...TX modules, prices, etc.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Foxfan17/08/2013 11:18:28
187 forum posts

Hi all,

I am very taken with the Jeti Duplex stuff, but could never justify the cost. However it seems you can get a TX module to plug into another maker's TX and it presumably "becomes" a Jeti. Now the module and a 6 channel RX comes to £138. The Jeti "set" is £1189 . Is the case and some accessories really worth £1050 or am I missing something?

I could make a case that looks just like a Jeti and have Jeti bits inside too.

I notice they make modules for everything except Spektrum.

Martin

Edited By Foxfan on 17/08/2013 11:18:54

Martin Harris17/08/2013 18:10:01
4607 forum posts
119 photos

There's quite a bit more built in to the Jeti transmitters including the telemetry display and dual transmitter modules plus, in the case of the DS, accelerometers for controlling functions by moving the transmitter (although I haven't thought of a very practical use for that yet). The aluminium gimballed sticks use Hall effect sensors rather than potentiometers and there's very fine resolution (4096 steps) and the price is actually a little less than you quote ( £1118.95) which includes a 9 channel receiver as well as the case etc.

Are they worth the money? Puffin are of the opinion that they are too cheap for what you get! They would compare them with £1600 - £2000 offerings from the high end manufactureres. Perhaps Danny Fenton might care to comment now he's had a little time to get used to his?

I've been using the modules since not long after they were introduced and have moved up to the Profibox mounted on to my transmitter. Two clubmates have the DC16 (bought in one case at the introductory price of £799 instead of the current £916.95 and the other second hand from someone trading up to the DS16. They are both extremely happy with their purchases.

I'm having a hard time talking myself out of investing in a DS16 - I've resisted so far - but I do agree that it's pretty serious money compared with some of the offerings from other manufacturers - but there is a very big jump in quality even from my "mid range" FF10.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/08/2013 18:25:03

Foxfan17/08/2013 20:04:34
187 forum posts

Hmm, I thought that would be the answer! Oh well, roll on Lottery.

Martin

Frank Skilbeck17/08/2013 20:14:34
2254 forum posts
63 photos

The reason they don't do modules for Spektrum is that Spektrum never did anything other than 2.4 GHz sets, the older 35 mhz sets had different modules for different markets, 35 mhz for UK, 72 Mhz for US etc so it made sense for the manufacturers to make their sets use a modular RF section, but with 2.4 thats not required. All the newer 2.4 Txs from other manufactures are now not modular, hence people like Jeti and FrSky have to have their own Tx otherwise as the supply of doner txs dry up so does their market. Jeti have decided to aim their Tx at the top end of the market.

Chris Bott - Moderator17/08/2013 20:46:48
4944 forum posts
1063 photos
1 articles

I believe that the Frsky Taranis transmitter not only has a built in Frsky 2.4Ghz module, but it also has a slot for a JR type transmit module. So I see no reason why a Jeti module made for JR transmitters wouldn't work in that slot.

If that works, it would be a very flexible transmitter, working with Jeti Rx's and telemetry. Although I guess it could be argued that you may as well use the Frsky Rxs and telmetry then.

Danny Fenton17/08/2013 20:59:52
6213 forum posts
2293 photos

I think Martin has summed up the differences fairly well. I too have been using Jeti in my JR PCM9 since the modules came out. The telemetry transformed my flying as knowing how much energy remains in the packs is very re-assuring. I used the Jeti Box, but also have the Profi box for my caller.

I purchased one of the first DS16 to hit these shores, having had my name down with Sandra at Puffin for, it seems forever, It has been wonderful and worth every penny. The accelerometers I find useful as a tilt of the tx to the right initiates a timer announcement. Tilting upright starts the timer. You can make it do so much it is a amazing.

I don't know the Multiplex systems but I have heard it programs in a similar way, ie you have to do everything manually.

Cheers

Danny

Martin Harris17/08/2013 21:27:09
4607 forum posts
119 photos

And there I was hoping you'd have found some negatives and talk me out of it Danny - I have a feeling your enthusiasm is going to cost me a lot of money!

Danny Fenton17/08/2013 21:36:38
6213 forum posts
2293 photos

One thing that has upset me a little.... The Jeti rx's I have built up over the years do not fully work, re telematry, with the DS16 so don't ditch the module and profi box just yet. If the Rx's and the optional bits such as the MUI (current measuring module) If the bits say 2.4 EX then they have full functionality.

I was concerned at the cost too, but my last Tx lasted nearly ten years, and is in fact still going. So divide the price into its longevity and its only a hundred a year. I don't think you will be dissapointed smile p

Cheers

Danny

Martin Harris18/08/2013 00:37:29
4607 forum posts
119 photos

I suspect the same is true of the Profibox though? My early receivers only give telemetry data on screen using the inbuilt "old syle" Jetibox - although the voice alerts (which are the critical bit in my opinion) come through. I assumed from the manual that the DS16 did the same?

9.5.3 JETIBOX
For maximum compatibility with 1st generation Jeti DUPLEX, the
DC/DS-16 are equipped with a Jetibox emulation function. This
emulation shows its information in the legacy two-line display
format. Use the function keys to navigate the Jetibox menu in order
to view or change the individual parameters. You can use also
wirelessly access a bound receiver’s menu and/or any connected
telemetry sensors connected to the receiver.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/08/2013 00:38:24

Danny Fenton18/08/2013 09:33:09
6213 forum posts
2293 photos

I spent all evening trying to get it to pass information from the mui and it wasnt seen. There is a very impressive thread on RCGroups and they put my problem down to the pre EX Rx and Mui. I do need to play with it more though.

Cheers

Danny

Gordon Tarling19/08/2013 18:34:57
51 forum posts
3 photos

Danny - even though your receivers are not marked as 'EX' types, it's very worth trying to update them to the latest firmware. Many of my receivers are not marked 'EX', yet I've been able to update about half of them to v3.11 firmware, which effectively makes them the same as the latest 'EX' receivers. You just need the Jeti USB adaptor to do it and download the firmware file from the Jeti site.

I've been using my DC-16 transmitter for just over a year now and absolutely love it - worth every penny that I paid for it!

Martin Harris19/08/2013 19:54:44
4607 forum posts
119 photos

The earlier versions marked 1/11 onwards are upgradeable and I've done so to all those which are labelled accordingly - unfortunately most of mine pre-date them...

I assume it's a hardware issue - but if you have found a way to upgrade earlier ones, I'd be extremely interested and I suspect so would Danny!

Danny Fenton19/08/2013 21:04:27
6213 forum posts
2293 photos
I need to check my rxs and muis but bet they are way older. But I will check. The profi box was pretty useless when I tried it last night on a 2010 rx and 75A mui in my triplane
Gordon Tarling20/08/2013 09:22:00
51 forum posts
3 photos

I've learnt NOT to rely on the date sticker as a way of telling whether or not they're updateable. I've just successfully updated two R10 receivers with a date sticker of III/10 on them. The only way to be certain is to try the update!

Martin Harris21/08/2013 12:14:23
4607 forum posts
119 photos

Talking of firmware upgrades, I tried to upgrade my EX Vario module last night to MVARIO ver. 2.06 and it hung and wouldn't respond when I tried it again on my DS16 (yes, it arrived yesterday, the day after losing the 3 month fight against the urge to spend silly money on something I didn't really need - I found an excuse and I must say that it is living up to my best expectations so far) so with heart in mouth I loaded the previous version and it came back to life...

Anyone else tried upgrading one? Having double checked, it won't matter too much as it only appears to fix an error with displaying higher altitudes than I'm likely to encounter and then probably only with the Profibox and not the DS16...

I wonder if the 111/10 sticker refers to Jan 2011 on an R10? Nevertheless, I did check all my earlier ones when I got my Profibox  - it's worth a try!

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/08/2013 12:17:43

Danny Fenton21/08/2013 17:48:46
6213 forum posts
2293 photos
Welcome to the DS16 owners club Martin
Gordon Tarling26/08/2013 18:22:48
51 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/08/2013 12:14:23:

I wonder if the 111/10 sticker refers to Jan 2011 on an R10? Nevertheless, I did check all my earlier ones when I got my Profibox - it's worth a try!

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/08/2013 12:17:43

I took that III/10 to mean March 2010. Just tried to update an R10 receiver with date sticker of I/09 on it - no joy!

Max5012/10/2013 07:37:31
124 forum posts
8 photos

I am thinking about getting a DS-16. What's the FHSS signal like ? I use FASST on a 14MZ and have had no problems at all, but the MZ is now discontinued, the screen is the original which you have to press firmly to select items,and i'm looking for my first 8ch recever which is about £120.00p

The DS-16 looks a quality kit; though i haven't seen one up close. With it being brand new ,it should be supported for a number of years, and with the voice timers and telemetry and inovation of Jeti, it's tempting me to update now before i get too many models.

Martin Harris12/10/2013 22:30:38
4607 forum posts
119 photos

That's a tricky question as it's difficult to compare. All I can say is that the 3 people in my club with Jeti transmitters have all been extremely happy with the equipment. Two of us have only got the pukka transmitters this year (although I have been using modules in Futaba transmitters for some years) but the other one has had a DC-16 for well over a year after upgrading from a module. The old transmitters/modules make very handy wireless buddy boxes by the way!

Both the DC and DS variants have dual transmitters and, in the case of the DS, 4 transmitter aerials so the link should be pretty bulletproof.

The receivers vary in sensitivity - for example, I was testing a park flyer/indoor receiver today on a 3D foamy model and flew it to a height and distance far further than I ever would normally - received signal was down to 4/9 (the latest firmware gives more linear reporting than the earlier version which would have reported a much lower signal) but quality (a new feature which I haven't established exactly what it's measuring) had dropped to 10 % at extreme distance - but with no apparent effect on control response at any time. The same transmitter with a normal 6 channel receiver in an EDF model never reported less than 90%.

There is a cut down version of the DS - the DS-14 - planned for release soon which I understand will also be upgradeable to a certain extent and shares the basic software with some reduction in the number of mixes etc.

The manufacturer seems very responsive to customer feedback and has released several upgrades to the firmware which have adopted many of the user suggestions. They seem keen to preserve backward compatibility and even the earliest equipment functions with the latest transmitters.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/10/2013 22:34:09

Max5013/10/2013 08:40:26
124 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks Martin.I think what i just wanted to know that it's a fit and fly radio system with no worries about lost signals or binding problems.

With Futaba FAAST i have that, but now looking at an upgrade before i have too many receivers to change, and to try out telemetry.Didn't want the 18MZ, which is too expensive, or the 14SG . The Jeti seems nice and easy radio to get into, and solid and they seem to put ideas in to use quite quickly. Why would you need gyros in the Tx ?; they didn't know the full use of ideas for this, yet they put it in. Just forward thinking ; and with my 14MZ now discontinued there is no more software updates, so now looking for another radio to last another 10 years, before technology moves on again. With the DS-16 just coming out it should fit the bill.

We love it tho, all technos. We have to have the latest equipement smiley, just in-case we're left behind.

Edited By Max50 on 13/10/2013 08:41:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
CML
BMFA
PuffinModels
Airtekhobbies
Advertise With Us
MHS
Braincube Aeromodels
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues