Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum sponsored by CML Distribution

Mad prices

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MidnightKiteFlyer15/10/2013 16:47:13
142 forum posts
1 photos

I will try to stop this being something of a rant, And I know this is an R/C forum, but what gives with the price for old engines? Looking at a Clan .025 diesel on Fleabay with 4 hours to go and it's up over two hundred pounds already. A rare engine to be sure, but I wonder if it will be flown free flight at this price, or kept in a drawer/display case for someone to look at every now and then and go 'Huh, that's nice'. And then forget it for another year.

Even the prices of the ubiquitous Mills .075 are getting not silly, but stupid. They're a decent enough engine if in good condition, but they're not all that.

New engines from the likes of MP Jet and PAW can be had for less than half the price and whisper it, but.....they're better in just about every way.

Even things like DT timers are going through the stratosphere for something that can still be bought new for less money!! Collectors are buying up vintage kits, engines, and hardware and ballyhooing the prices up to levels that are just plain daft.

If you're one of them, then behave will you!

I'm a keen flyer of vintage models, and I'm told again and again that free flight is dying, (it isn't) but if that's right then why on earth is this stuff so popular? Can't it be left for us keepers of the faith to enjoy in peace without having to bankrupt the family and sell granny for experimental pile surgery?

I have an ancient PAW 19 on the front of my Dixielander, but because it's old, and off a free flight model, and has quite a patina, and because I saw you coming, it's £300 to you. Oh, and it's collectible too! Go on, stick it in a case for nobody to look at, You know you want to!

Percy Verance15/10/2013 20:32:34
1184 forum posts
28 photos

But if the patina on your old Paw isn't quite the correct shade Midnight, it'll probably only be worth £299.......

Seriously though, people tend to covet various items from all sports, hobbies and pastimes. I have a couple of friends who hardly ever fly anymore, yet they have in their posession some really nice stuff as in a brand new Taplin Twin and a matching pair of unused Oliver Tiger diesels.......

It'll always happen I imagine.......

Paul Marsh15/10/2013 20:47:02
1861 forum posts
429 photos

Most stuff is silly money, but I bought a brand new H9 Super Cub for £400 last weekend, complete with engine, servos,etc. The engine was a Mackay 24cc, they are £385, add another £80 for the silencer, 8 digital servos, loads of extension leads, two new Vapextech batteries. A good buy.

Seems that some things go for silly amounts, because they are "rare", but some good buys aren't snapped up, either too good to be true, or it's not needed, as the person willing to pay £250 for a engine silencer, can't fly, or not interested model flying, just got money to burn....

Mark Stevens 115/10/2013 20:57:38
73 forum posts
12 photos

Sadly this sort of thing is just not restricted to our hobby, same goes on elsewhere with other types of kit. If you are in the know or savvy about what you are buying, then very often you can grab a bargain.

Some stuff does appear which is way overpriced and some probably not so rare. Ok it may be old but it doesn't make it rare....Like the Roman coin I have in my wallet, it is Bronze and I know it's history when and where it was minted etc (602AD) but it will still only fetch £50 on ebay as there were so many of them produced even back then.

I do hope the persons hogging all this old kit will soon realise that no-one is going to pay over inflated prices when these items are likely to come up again & again until they eventually do become rare and may be worth a decent price then.

Might just have to dig out my 2 old PAW .19's now then

Mark.

MidnightKiteFlyer15/10/2013 21:33:25
142 forum posts
1 photos

I actually own an absolutely ancient complete Senator kit, and the only good thing in it is the sharp new plan. The balsa is utterly hideous. People pay small fortunes for the most basic kits that weren't even good in their day, and for what they pay, you could get one hell of a lot of really good competition grade balsa, and some nice hardware, perhaps even a hand carved prop.

Still don't quite get why the Mills is such a 'must have' though. I had an original English Mills, and while a nice runner, I just couldn't get excited. I sold it and got a lovely .075 Alex Phin 'Red Fin' diesel. Much nicer, and it's going in a free flight Tomboy too. Perhaps one day i might get to wave goodbye to it. (If you find it, look after it for me....)

Anyway, I digress. I think these people are buying these things in the hope of future high prices, but to be honest, as the pool of Aeromodellers into such things is relatively tiny, and most of them are of a practical bent so they'll come up with another solution, (electric?) so they are going to be trying to sell them in years to come to a very small pool of very well heeled modellers.

The sad thing is that by the time such things as the engines end up being sold, the diesel they need to run them and the ingredients to make it might be very hard to get hold of, and make them quite unattractive!

I can see how you may not want to consume a kit, but is there anything worse than seeing an engine in a display case? It needs to be flown! Life's too short!

I live in the North of England, and it's already a 60 mile trip to the nearest stockist for diesel. You can mail order it from t'internet.....but it's more than frowned upon...... :-/

I think I'll start trawling car boot sales, as 99% of the population have no idea what old Granda's stuff is worth, unless they are Ebay regulars of course.....

I remember as a boy going to a second hand shop and getting a totally mint FROG 150 for a whole 50p, and a shoe whole box of engines (all runners) including an MDS 40, Cox Golden Bee, Enya 09, and Thunder Tiger 25 for a fiver!

I think if I'm lucky enough to get old, then before I snuff it I'm going to go out into a field (if they exist by then) pick up each model, fully fuelled, wind them up to max revs, and just let them go. No display cases that way. Better to burn out than to fade away!

Happy days!

MidnightKiteFlyer15/10/2013 21:56:37
142 forum posts
1 photos

Percy, The Oliver Tigers could almost be a pension if sold!!

kc15/10/2013 22:08:29
2777 forum posts
114 photos
I suppose we should collect up all the duff electric motors people chuck out now just in case they become collectors item in the future!
Bill_B15/10/2013 22:40:18
571 forum posts
19 photos

Swap: DC Bambi for your soul..... devil

MidnightKiteFlyer16/10/2013 00:33:43
142 forum posts
1 photos

Lol!! I was looking for a small diesel, or even a .049 glow for my new Vic Smeed Poppet, and I got so peed off with prices of motors I wouldn't even have had given as a young modeller, that I took a huff, spat my dummy out of the pram, and fitted a cheap little 10 gram 1811 electric motor in a fit of pique. Sadly, the damn thing works great...but has no soul. At all.

Crazily enough I can actually see some electric motors becoming collectable, some of the rarer ones. I believe in the RC car world, some of the modified motors from the 80's are now fetching high prices. I really wish I could say that all my future builds will be IC only, but with a young family to raise, and many, many models on my build list, I don't think I'm going to be able to put an engine in them all. *Sob* I try to make myself feel better by saying that if Lipos and outrunners were available to the old guys back in the day, that's what they would have used....probably.

Greybeard16/10/2013 07:58:54
726 forum posts
6 photos

What exactly is the point of this rant? No one is forcing you to buy these things, move on and try rubber. cool

MidnightKiteFlyer16/10/2013 08:38:28
142 forum posts
1 photos

Yeah, it is a bit of a rant, but I do feel better now.

I'm currently building a Senator to make a start in 'mini vintage' competitions and hoping to concentrate my efforts mainly in rubber powered models in the future, tis a thing of beauty!

Peter Miller16/10/2013 08:40:47
4981 forum posts
607 photos
10 articles

The point is this. We can put an old engine or kit on EBay with a starting price of £0.99p . The buyers will bid it up to what they are prepared to pay for it. So don't blame the sellers, blame the buyers.

Personally I feel that an engine has to be used. and a kit has to be built.

I do understand the price of Mills.75s, they are used for a class of competition.

IT is a bit like book collectors. THey want perfect specimins. I was told that some wouldn't buy a book if there was a trace of cigarette ash between the pages.

Books are to be read and used, not stuck on a shelf and never touched.

Andrew Ray16/10/2013 09:36:59
244 forum posts
4 photos

It's worse in the plastic kit world. A Frog Bristol Bloodhound from the 60's went for £1750 and the kit wasn't that good either. I think much of this demand is folks who couldn't afford these things in their youth now can.

GONZO16/10/2013 09:52:42
386 forum posts
3 photos

"A fool and his money are easily parted"

Nuff said!

Bill_B16/10/2013 12:28:10
571 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Greybeard on 16/10/2013 07:58:54:
.........., move on and try rubber. cool

Nah, a vasectomy is far superior, no accidents with one of those.

Percy Verance16/10/2013 21:32:43
1184 forum posts
28 photos

I wonder what my little stash of untouched Veron kits might fetch on a good day?

P.S. And they go for an absolute snip too Bill. Save a small fortune in the long run.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/10/2013 21:36:23

Bill_B16/10/2013 22:43:44
571 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 16/10/2013 21:32:43:

P.S. And they go for an absolute snip too Bill. Save a small fortune in the long run.......

:D Absolutely!

Whats your favourite Veron kit then? I always wanted to build the Fokker DVIIIs a youngster, but unfortunately could never afford the kit. Not only that, my father would never have allowed me to use one of his many babies (diesels).

Edited By Bill_B on 16/10/2013 22:44:08

Martin Harris16/10/2013 22:44:01
4599 forum posts
119 photos

Percy - if I were you I'd cash in while the going's good. I strongly suspect that as the buying power and numbers of the children of the 40s and 50s decline, many of these "investments" will lose their value quite quickly.

I understand that collectors of railway ephemera are starting to notice the decline in numbers interested in expensive artefacts.

Bill_B16/10/2013 22:48:21
571 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 16/10/2013 22:44:01:

Percy - if I were you I'd cash in while the going's good. I strongly suspect that as the buying power and numbers of the children of the 40s and 50s decline, many of these "investments" will lose their value quite quickly.

I understand that collectors of railway ephemera are starting to notice the decline in numbers interested in expensive artefacts.

Spot on Martin! I can't even shift my boxed electric Lone Star layout, complete with Deltic diesel, coaches and various accessories. I might as well bin it!

kevin b17/10/2013 00:10:17
818 forum posts
108 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 16/10/2013 22:44:01:

Another example is the "classic" / "vintage" car market. However it does mean that with falling prices, people who appreciate things for what they are, as opposed to their market value stand a better chance of affording to own and use said item.

Nostalgia. It ain't what it used to be.

kevinb.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TJD Models
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Braincube Aeromodels
BMFA
CML
PuffinModels
Airtekhobbies
MHS
NEW Poll - flying alone
Q: Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Yes
 Yes - although only small models and gliders
 No
 No, but in practice members do sometimes fly alone

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues