Forum sponsored by CML

E-Glider new design called RedEagle

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jason Inskip13/08/2017 11:00:47
21 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Andy G. on 13/08/2017 08:24:32:

Jason, I still have the copy that I built mine from somewhere, if I can find it you are welcome to it.

Hi Andy,

That's really generous of you. If you can find it, that would be fantastic. I'll happily pay postage of course, and could also make a copy and send your original back to you (in case you ever want to make another).

Many thanks

Jason

Andy G.13/08/2017 17:18:05
365 forum posts
209 photos

Jason...

PM Sent..

Michael Adams 313/08/2017 21:11:38
108 forum posts
2 photos

Hi, I have just heard that the Traplet shop is closed as it is a bit of a scam, they have gone into liquidation and are starting up again under a new name, Sarick hobbys. How true this is I do not know but we will soon find out if the truth comes out. If this is true then I hope you can get what you want, also how long does it take to set up a new system, we will have to wait and see. good luck and if your Red Eagle flies as well as mine you have a great model to be pleased with. Mine flies in 0 to 15 mph winds with no problems.

Mike.

Michael Adams 313/08/2017 21:19:26
108 forum posts
2 photos

The plane you see in my photo is a full size, it flew in the war and still has the bullet hole in the bottom of the fuse. We are so lucky to have the same runway as this plane and a few others. so you see we have to be very careful.

Mike.

Jason Inskip15/08/2017 20:41:32
21 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Andy G. on 13/08/2017 08:24:32:

Jason, I still have the copy that I built mine from somewhere, if I can find it you are welcome to it.

Big thanks to Andy who very kindly posted me his copy of the RedEagle plan. I can now start gathering materials together ready for my first build in 20 years (since getting married / having kids / mortgage etc. etc.)

Really looking forward to it!

smiley

Andy G.16/08/2017 07:25:38
365 forum posts
209 photos

Glad to be able to help.laugh thumbs up

Stephen Hegarty26/10/2017 15:47:19
4 forum posts
4 photos

Hello Red Eagle builders,

I have received my kit from RBCkits and I have a few questions. This is my first build in 25 years and I'm looking for something more relaxing to fly than my helicopters.

The washout on the plan appears to be 10mm under the tip trailing edge, can that be right? looking at the wing root on the fuselage side view there looks to be only about 2mm incidence. That would give negative incidence at the tips. I see that the aileron wing was built without washout and I was thinking 2-3mm would be more appropriate.

Any recommendations for clevises as these are not included in the kit? Both for servo and control horn connection.

Many thanks

Ton van Munsteren29/10/2017 21:14:36
1256 forum posts
3262 photos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post and great that you selected the RedEagle for some relax flying.

The 10mm washout is for making the model turn better, but its not a big difference, because RedEagle's without the washout will also turn just fine. You don't have to build the washout in the wing you can also make the washout during the covering of the wing.

For clevises on the RedEagle or for models in general, check here **LINK** they all work just fine. For me I use a 90 degrees bend on one end and on the other end a metal clevis with a solder when the controls are neutral. After the maiden hold the rudder and elevator in the flight position, heath the clevis again to soften the solder and set the trim on the transmitter neutral. The model will be in trim for life.

Don't forget to post some pics of your build I can never get enough of build pics of the RedEagle.

And when you have questions just ask.

Cheers

Ton

Stephen Hegarty01/11/2017 09:45:39
4 forum posts
4 photos

Hello Ton,

Thanks for replying and answering my questions I will add the washout as per the plan. It's going to take a while to build but I will upload some pictures along the way.

Kind regards,

Stephen.

Ton van Munsteren03/11/2017 19:18:14
1256 forum posts
3262 photos

Enjoy the build and look forward to the pics.

Cheers

Ton

Jason Inskip18/11/2017 17:50:28
21 forum posts
19 photos

Hello RedEagles,

It’s been a while since I last posted here – desperately trying to get hold of a plan for this plane. Thanks to the generosity of members in this group, I swiftly took receipt of a plan (Thanks again Andy!)

Since then I have been acquiring all the materials for the build as time & money allowed. I’ve finally got everything I need – except the covering film.

As it’s been nearly 30 years since my last build, (and there has been a wife, children & several house moves in-between), I no longer have a building board. Before I can start building, I will need to make myself a new one! Hoping to sort that in the next few of weeks. I’ve got a couple of weeks off over Christmas, so planning on finally getting stuck into the build then. Really looking forward to it!

As for the covering, I’ve only used either tissue & dope, or solarspan before. I’m certainly not planning on going down the tissue & dope route! So a covering film it will be.

Any advice on what type of covering film I should use would be appreciated. I’ve obviously used solarspan, but have not tried solarfilm. I’ve heard of oracover, but have never seen it. I also see Hobbyking do a range of films. What did you guys use?

Still trying to decide on final colour scheme, but it is likely to be something along the lines of the following:

(apologies for using other members photos!)

529518.jpg

glier.jpg

hk_zpse6136667.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Any tips/advice gratefully received!

smiley

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 17:51:24

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 17:53:07

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 18:06:42

kc18/11/2017 18:30:57
5434 forum posts
161 photos

Jason, you dont need much more than a piece of plasterboard for a building board - it takes pins really well and is cheap although builders throw out offcuts big enough for our use. Must be dead flat of course. Get a few small bits as boards for tailplanes so you can work on severalitems at the same time.

HobbyKing film seems just as good as other brands and cheaper too. it is much easier to do wings etc in one colour than try to do colour panels on open structure wings! Main thing is to get a highly visible colour scheme so you can see it at a distance rather than something that looks pretty ( depends on eyesight of course)

Jason Inskip18/11/2017 22:57:16
21 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks kc,

I had thought about using a sheet of plasterboard on top of our glass dining room table (when the better half is not looking). I thought the glass table would be dead flat, but I was concerned that the pins would not stick into the plasterboard very well. I guess from what you are saying they hold well enough. yes

I should be OK with dual colour scheme on the wings - I was a dab hand with the solarspan back in my teens. Of course that was several decades ago, when my faculties all worked correctly. I'm hoping is just like riding a bike - you never forget .... embarrassedface 7

I just need to decide what colours I want - and which film to use......

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 22:57:51

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 22:58:11

Glyn4419/11/2017 07:37:35
667 forum posts
90 photos

Hi Jason,

I have always used plaster board. I buy the smallest sheet cut it t size with a Stanley knife, for a perfect fit to my desk top. Easy. But you must seal the cut edges with masking tape, otherwise plaster will deposit itself all over your dining room. You could then be in some bother with the boss!

Andy G.19/11/2017 08:45:41
365 forum posts
209 photos

Hi Jason....

Glad to have helped out with plan and good to hear you are almost ready to go on the build! As for covering , I did mine from film I had in stock, it's done in a mixture of Solarfilm, Oracover and HobbyKing film. I find the HobbyKing covering very good, especially for the price.

Jason Inskip01/01/2018 20:47:43
21 forum posts
19 photos

Christmas over. Turkey eaten. Building RedEagle finally underway.......

smiley

redeagle 01.jpg

Andy G.02/01/2018 08:12:43
365 forum posts
209 photos

I recognise that plan!!! Lol. Good to see you've started your Red Eagle build. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine.

Jason Inskip02/01/2018 14:32:45
21 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Andy G. on 02/01/2018 08:12:43:

I recognise that plan!!! Lol.

Like they say 'you can't keep a good plan down'......

wink

Edited By Jason Inskip on 02/01/2018 14:33:02

Ton van Munsteren03/01/2018 16:13:41
1256 forum posts
3262 photos

Jason,

That's a great start and looking forward to more pics.

Ton

Jason Inskip06/01/2018 22:57:29
21 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks Ton

It's a nice simple but effective design. I'm enjoying the build. Here are some more parts awaiting sanding/shaping.

Don't worry, the leading edge of the wing is not warped - its just the wide angle lens on my phone camera creating a bit of fisheye! surprise

Kind regards

Jason

20180106_223945.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues