SAS Blob

Hi everyone,
                    Just a quick question to who ever knows. I have a sas blob and I'm trying to get its c of g right but it has a tapered wing which is throwing me a bit. I've worked out a third of the chord by doing the root and tip but my question is do I thake this measurement from the L E of the root back or, measure from the T E forward to find the c of g point? I only ask this as the wing tapers from the front ( L E ) and its screwed my noodle, I'm sure its a simple answer but I dont want to get this wrong and bend it before I get to fly it properly, any help would be great

• 4 weeks later...
Have just dug out the plans that came with the Blob which shows C of G at 3.75 +/- 1/8th inch back from the leading edge. Just checked the plan and that is dead on the 5 1/4 inch mark from the rear of the wing.

I had the powered version which flew very quickly and being from a slope soaring pedigree, it's very efficient and glides on forever. I had an OS 20 in mine which did not have sufficient power to go vertical, but not far off.  

Unfortunately I wrote mine off due to interference, but temped to build another from the plans.

Very aerobatic, very smooth, plenty of weight to carry through manoeuvres, would recommend setting rates on low to start off with and then build up. Needs a decent wind to fly at its best. Defiantly not a beginner’s model, but great fun to fly once you get used to it.

Roll rate fantastic.

Just looking at the old plan I have, quite simple to make, could probably make one out of off cuts I have in a couple of weeks. Very tempting.

Enjoy

Paul 

Hi Adam,
I also have this model i have had it for many years now , not flow it for a couple of years though i had thought of putting my gear back in it a couple of mouths ago . As i have the power version  with a .OS .15 and it flew very well even in very windy conditions i remember one windy day no one was brave enough to fly but me it was great ,it flies upside down as well as it does the wright way up , But make sure you use a good color scheme as it can be easy sometimes to get disoriented with this fast small model .
Nice to see wez is still producing the models i think i will buy another 1.0mtr power Thing  

it looks fast enough stood still ! dont think i'll be putting an engine on mine I've done my colours, deep purple with the under side of the wings florescent yellow hopefully be able to see it ok as it wizzes by cant wait

Well, for a slope like your local Tom you need the bigger one, built with a foot of dihedral, lightning holes cut in the cores and a fuz filled with Helium to make it stay aloft.
However, if you are looking to sell a kit I know an eleven year old lad who is turning into a slope nutter and has access to a decent workshop who might take it off your hands.....

• 11 years later...