Field Stand

I am looking for a good stand to take to the field. I want one tall enough to work on and start the model with out having to kneel on the hard ground. (even with some padding kneeling gets a bit painful for me)

All I have found so far is

The great mate looks good but is very expensive and if you add on some of the extras it is a fortune.

I know some have built ther own to suite. If you have done maybe you could post a photo on here just to give me some ideas

Edited By Phil B on 28/04/2010 12:12:29

Yes missed that one was not looking for a stand at the time.

I also saw a neat stand made from a saw stand. I already own a workmate but I use it alot at home. (with some mounting holes drilled into the wood it also makes a handy engine test stand)

I was hoping just to buy one ready made but it looks like that will cost

My workmate is not  pukka gen but a cheep copy I got from Lidl i think. I did get some off cut MDF today to make some stand ends that will fit into the work bench.

Ackers the SLEC stand is more like what I am looking for and well worth concidering. You dont by chance know how much it weighs

Phil, you don't state the type, size weight of your models.

Mine is designed for electric models up to 2Kg. but the design might be adapted for slightly larger/heavier models, and could be modified to stand taller.  My original idea was for the height to clear tall grass, but I have actually found it very versatile and use it for bench-testing too (anchored of course).

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 28/04/2010 19:30:43

Deceiving!, it weights 6Lbs, but doesn't feel like it. That said I painted mine with hammerite so its fully weatherproof. Its easy to carry (could but some big wheels on), folds really flat (about 4") and really is stable enough to run up engines on prior to flying.  I now find it really useful and it avoids having to use those foamy ones, getting a bad back and/or wet knees!

My models are a similar spec, RW, but I don't use a portable stand - I was just suggesting it as an option for Phil. I've made a chipboard stand and a lighter one from copper pipe as I fly behind the house, so no transport issues.

I must say you've give me an idea with yours, though - I like that!

Pete

Hi Guys,
The flying sites that I visit Here in la belle france, all have permanent purpose built stands for starting, tuning etc. Wing restraints are built in, and nobody has sore knees. They probably take a couple of hours to build., and cost about a tenner

I do appreciate that this is not possible on all sites, but, they do work très well

I can send pix if you wish

ernie 

buy a great mate yes its pricey but its worth every penny mine stays in my boot all week but it is fantastic in the winter with its wheel set  to get to the pits from the winter car park no more kneeling in the mud great for setting up a model easy for engine runs  it is the price of a good airframe but gets used every time i go flying remember you only buy quality once "you buy cheap you buy twice"

Edited By colin watson on 28/04/2010 23:37:53

RW looks very nice but not for me I think. If I did makr it taller I feel it would be too light weight. I did think of using pipe and fixing it onto of my workmate to make a stand.

I am sure the grate mate is the DB's  but the price is putting me off. The SLEC stand still looks like my favourite and I am sure the quality is up to the job.

Laxygits plans do look fantastic and I wish I had the time to build all my own kit (flight box, stand and model) but if I did build everything I feel it would take me 5 years to get to the field.

• 2 weeks later...
well I bought the slec stand and I am pretty disapointed. Its not like the photo on the web site but a newer design. It is cut from MDF and suppied with small nails to hold it together. You need to apply glue and tack it together but the small tacks split the MDF easily.  It not as nice lookings as the photo either. it cost £50 with postage and for that I got about £3 worth of MDF and some bolts

Sorry colin should have took you advice.

• 1 year later...
I first saw the Great Mate at a show, about four years ago, but baulked at the price tag. Since then, I have found nothing else that compares with it and, as I am beginning to suffer from a bad back and aching knee joints, decided to pay the current asking price of £140. I appreciate that there are people with the skills, equipment, time and creativity to build their own, probably more cheaply, but I'm not one of them, and this stand is so well designed and constructed, and easy to use, that I now wonder how I managed for so long without one. It enables me to stand and work on the airframe and engine with no discomfort, for hours at a time, and I can't recommend it too highly.

I agree with Colin and Hellcat,expensive but worth the money. first saw one "in the flesh" at Wings and Weald this year. Couldn't order it then as it was on a stand who was only acting as a demo but it arrived very quickly. After 44 years on my knees at work (thank you the gas industry) it is getting almost impossible to kneel down and get up safely near rotating props. I still have to bend if I drop anything which is quite often. Ho Hum.

John

Edited By John Tee on 26/07/2011 14:28:34

Edited By John Tee on 26/07/2011 14:29:56

• 2 years later...

Hello

Does anyone happen to know if the Great Mate Model Stand (or something similar) is still available please?

The SLEC one looks good in their photos but the comments above make me a little wary.

The link above for Modelstands UK now directs me to Smug Studios who don't seem to have anything whatsoever to do with model aircraft.

I already have a foam cradle which works well but I am looking for something that presents the model at a little above waist height (to save my poor old knees!) and, ideally, also has a tray so that my Tx, batteries & other gubbins don't have to sit in damp, muddy grass.

Thanks,

John

Yes they appear to have shut up shop, I tried to purchase one last September but couldn't get an answer from the telephone, mobile or emailsad

They are perfect for those of us the can't bend so it's disappointing they have stopped trading, maybe some enterprising fabricator will take up the opportunity!

Edited By jolliffee on 06/03/2014 18:48:31