Field Stand

Like it Cymasyes

No Steve I am just saying if your field would allow you to fit permanent ones

its the way to go maybe, saves people carting them about, also a big help for the less able

has not cost the club much, and if the money's there why not use it to benefit your members

plus you can have your supper round them on clubs chippie nightssmiley

• 9 months later...

Me too! I got one of the SLEC stands for Christmas. Bit unsure about the all-MDF construction - I'm not sure how robust the legs will be but we'll see during the coming season. I'm going to try Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint. I've got a tin of white - not sure if it comes in other colours. On the tin it claims -

"provides a superb protective barrier against household chemicals, including oil, detergent, bleach, alcohol, grease and dirt."

I painted one of my workbenches with it and so far drips from engine exhausts etc. have not affected it.

The biggest problem with the mdf parts is that when you use the panel pins to attach the cross pieces and sheet parts, the pins can split the mdf; this happened to me and I resorted to squirting aliphatic resin into the cracks then using a G clamp to close the gap up until the glue set; it seems to have worked and I can't see any sign of the cracks now it's been painted.

Posted by Jon Laughton on 10/01/2015 17:37:28:

Thanks David that sounds lIke a good recommendation...

If the legs are not strong enough I will reinforce but I haven't opened the box yet!

Jon

I had one for years and the legs are plenty strong enough. But do not use the supplied pin nails to hold it together as these will just pull apart. You need to glue and screw it together and water/fuel proof with varnish or paint. Then it will serve you for a long time

Posted by David P Williams on 11/01/2015 20:09:33:

Are the legs on yours MDF or timber Phil? I thought the all-MDF version was a fairly new thing. The legs on mine are what looks like a laminate of MDF - two of them 3 layers of 6mm and the other two 2 layers of 6mm with a layer of 3mm either side. Just don't look like they'll be as strong as 18mm timber.

Mine was all MDF. I think I must have one of the first mdf type as when I bought mine SLEC had the old version still pictured on there web site and I was a little disappointed at the time. but it has been fine after I screwed it together.