Gutted!

Dusty

Guys,

The mount/frame that I store my 1.8m Yak 54 on removed itself from the wall early hours this morning during a storm, I suspect the draft blowing through the agape window helped the cause... Anyway I awoke to a loud crashing sound and when looking at my pride and joy it was not looking healthy at all. I have taken a day to compose myself and come to the conclusion that i need to right the airframe off... everything else is sound! the airframe seemed to break in critical areas after a minor 2ft fall urgh!!! Gutted that its not worth the repair to add the weight and also the stresses the model goes through with freestyle flying...

To this end I would not even bother repairing the airframe for above reasons! What similar models out there to suite a Saito 150? Airframe choices for this engine or failing this anyone out there might need a Saito 150 etc etc... gutted

Ya its broken on the tailplane where it meets the fuselage so its a instant weakness! Problem is its a profiled/built up tail plane and I dont believe any amount of repair would be justifiable to the stressed the model goes through, not only that the rumble of a 25cc 4 stroke!! So point is to check you model storage mounts once in a while! Along with the mount came some dry wall filler type material! Could one claim on home insurance? Ideas? Its a rented property and to say the least things are always breaking; leason learned about having bigger heavier models mounted on chip shop walls!

My bug is I need a airframe asap to replace the model to fly in some up an comming events! I cant seem to find a similar model for the engine and gear! QuiQui Yaks are no longer produced? Reluctant to sell the Saito but if it means crossing over to petrol side let it be and let the Saito have a great home in someones war bird as it ticks like a clock!

I'll have the saito :P haha just kidding real bummer Our model things are more secure! some cheap quality skirting board screwed to the rafters in the garage, which is screwed to some cheap quality strip wood... *quietly slips down the stairs and checks on it!* All my models are safely away from this mounting, being hung by the tail, from some piano wire hooked round the rafters, not a smart move with your model!!!

Hi Dusty, sorry to hear about that. Sometimes things that don't seem repairable will do so after a few days contemplation.

As Lee says the Seagull stuff is well priced. I quite like their large PC-9 - saw a nice one (needs a spinner) flying at Bickley the other week, leccy of course and not an out and out aerobat but very smooth 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 09/06/2010 08:51:10

Empathy...

Many years ago I laid out  the uncovered airframe of a Cessna 172 on my bed to admire it before running off to school.  When I can home, I found our West Highland Terrier fast asleep on the now crushed wing ribs and tail plane.  Poor old Skip must have been very confused when he woke up and his usual friendly greeting was met with derision.

More recently, a 4x4 fence post fell over in my workshop and took out the elevator and port aileron of my Twin Star, and left a large gouge in the fuselage.

It appears that flying is the least our models have to worry about.

Hi guys thanks for the support lol! Must confess my Yak was the only glow model I have in the hanger as converted all to electric. I love the Saito and it served the Yak well!

It is a annoying situation but there is light at the end of the tunnel I hope... Ok I really want to replace the model with another aerobat of similar flight character so another Yak or a Sukhoi! Lee what flight performance can I expect on the Seagul Yak? The price is inviting! Would it prop hang, knife edge well etc and be man enough for a 150 in the nose swinging a 17x6-8?

The Pc-9 looks nice but after owning and flying at least 5 different brands of Tucanos which are similar over the last few years the Pc-9 doesnt really appeal to me for some unknown reason? I seem to like Bipes, jets and Russian Aerobatic aircraft lol!

I gave all my models to Chris so the hanger is  even emptier Tim!

Easier said than done... Took Davids advise! Taking the model round to a mates house Thursday for a 2nd op! Might get the pics up then when calm and composed but after chatting to him on the phone he is concearned about the strength of the fix!

Peter I would give my left eyeball if someone could build me a new tailplane! I do not have the skill to build one!  Its a symetrical tailplane, I could cut out the the good half as "jig,plan,example"? ... I like foam

Dusty my yak has a 108 2 stroke in it and its just not quite enough (about 19cc) i have tried a120 fourstroke version but it was even worse so my choice would be a 150 and i am pretty sure the airframe will take it no probs its strong in all the right places !!  flight performance is excellent knife edge even on my engine is horizon to horizon with very little coupling if any i certainly dont have any mixed in i do it manually (so there cant be much !!)   i am sure it will hover very well on the 150 my 108 swings a 15x8 slow sped handling is very good no nasty habbits whatsoever there is a little wing rock in the harrier but nothing that can't be held snaps are impressive and recovery instant, when i lost my first one to a mid air i replaced it instantly, in fact the tail unit is actually in a 40cc raven, so its well strong enough with the 150 in you will have to put the rx pack towards the rear of the fus to attain c of g but other than that if you shop around you can get one for 120 and if you don't like it i will buy it off you !!!!  last time i said that i ended up with some daft american shaving company !!  doh !! 

Hi Chris,

Gonna have a look at the Seagull Yak i reckon, unless you got anything else in mind?

So far I sent the damaged Yak to a friends place so he can rebuild/cover it again and possibly convert it to electric.