808 KeyFob Camera

As the "GumCam" thread is getting very long, and now has postings relating to lots of different types of micro video camera, I think we should separate the threads, or we might as well just have one thread for all Aerial Photography.

I've just bought the 808 Key Fob camera and am having problems.  I've copied my posting from the other thread (below) and would appreciate any help and advice.

My 8Gb Class 4 SD card arrived today so I finally got the chance to try out my new KeyFob Cam (v.3).  Plugged in a USB cord (one that came with my Fuji camera), and stuck it in the PC.  The yellow light came on continuous and the PC recognised it instantly, and I was able to access the SD card via Windows Explorer.   I allowed the USB to charge it up for about an hour and then did a safe unplug from the PC.  As I did so the yellow light went out, and I have been unable to switch the FobCam on.  I have tried the reset button, and have tried plugging to the PC again with the same result as before.  But when I unplug from the PC, same result, yellow light goes out and it will not switch on.  

Have I got a dud, or am I doing something wrong?

Just seen Gemma's posting way back in the GumCam Thread about the plugging/unplugging the USB cord and the light staying on or not.  This seems to have been my problem too, and I have found the same.  Seems to have got mine going at last - iIf the light stays on when I unplug I'm in business.

Only played with it around the house and garden so far but the colour match and saturation seem very poor on mine compared to the postings on the GumCam thread. 

It is not a very bright day, so wonder if this is the problem. Has anyone else had this?

Romeo Whiskey
The 808 should be considered a "value" camera rather a quality one as they are reputedly made from "out of spec" mobile phone camera chips!
They have a fixed UV filter built into the lens so the colour matching/saturation does seem to vary quite a bit depending on what it is pointing at.
Mine seems to think grass is brownish at some angles but bright green at others however the definition is pretty good.

Do you know what version yours is?
The amazing Chucklohr web site details the all differences.

Hi Simon, thanks for the input.  Well it certainly is good value, and it's hard to complain about a gizmo giving video and sound for £6.19!

Mine is a Version 3.  I haven't had the chance to fly it yet.  Do you reckon velcro is sufficient to anchor it to the top of an electric model (TwinStar or FunCub), or do you use some other (or additional) method?

Romeo Whiskey
You are lucky, version 3 is considered the best.
I made a close fitting Depron box for mine which gives a flat underside. I then simply sellotaped the box to the top of the wing.
The lugs on the box mean it can also be secured by wing retaining bands.

I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and convert the video from avi to wmf format as it only uses about half the space.

• 1 month later...
Here's one of my 808 vids, mounted on Orion leccy glider. I have posted others on other mini DV threads.  There are a good few mini dv vids on my YouTube  channel, mostly made while paragliding. (The majority were made with a Sanyo Xacti, though you'd be hartd pressed to see the difference on You Tube between my £140 camera and the ten quid one!)

• 2 weeks later...
Got my MD80 sorted with a SDHC card and it is working fine, now I will have to give some thought to either converting one of my bigger birds to carry it or build a new dedicated camera ship.
I have the plans for Mike Smarts Raven 3M which is a unique design looking more like a piece of sculpture than a glider, with a 3 metre gull wing and an all gloss-black finish it should look pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally got round to shooting some inflight footage with my 808 keyfob camera.

The first is on my BAe Systems Hawk PSS Glider, mounted to the starboard air intake hence the odd orientation:-

The second is mounted on the starboard wing of my Windrider A380 PSS airliner on her last (but not final!!!) flight:-

Both shot at the Great Orme, both with rather sketchy "landings" but overall so very impressed with the 808 Keyfob camera I've ordered two more for multi angle filming!

Great bit of kit!

Rez

Edited By Fly_Boy_Rez on 10/10/2010 22:19:56

Just as a matter of interest. Great videos but i noticed that the date on the first embedded video was set to 2008. I bought one of the £15 gum-cams and the video is excellent however, even diligently following the chinglish instructions I can't change the date to today - anyone had any luck?

Edited By TonyS on 11/10/2010 20:28:42

I managed to edit the relevant file on mine and get the time set right... I figured if I'm going to have to put up with the datestamp being visible all the time then I might as well have it reading the right time!

That said I can't for the life of me remember where I read the instructions. However reading Chuck Lohr's comprehensive site on all things Keyfob camera related I found this site to an application called 808 Setclock.

Not tried it  myself but worth a punt I'd suggest.

Cheers!

Rez

I've previously used the manual method (create file, copy it to root etc. - it's detailed somewhere on Chuck Lohr's site) to set the time on mine,  but I've just tried the setclock program and it works fine on my camera.

It does automatically exactly what you would do manually,  but obviously saves you from making any typos,  mis-naming the file or copying it to the wrong place!

The camera does - as you say - retain the date without the memory card. 

If the camera finds a "date file" on the memory card when it is switched on then it reads the file,  resets its date/time according to what is on the file,  and finally deletes the file. 

So, once the date/time has been reset,  the memory card no longer has any date information on it.

I have tried the date time set info from the chucklohr website and the 808clockset program but cannot set the date on my #3 camera bought recently. The TAG file appears on the memory card but that's as far as it goes. After switching on and off and taking a photo the date/time has not reset. The camera works fine otherwise and yes velcro fastening seems strong enough. I chucked my glider off the slope but forgot to switch on the plane, the camera was on though, and after a short flight and cartwheel landing the camera stayed put. I do recommend a safety line to some hard point on the model - I use braided nylon fishing line. It would be hard to find a little black camera in the heather!  Has anyone any ideas re the date/time?

You have to put the tag file on a totally blank card while the card is in a card reader (not in the camera) then shoot a few seconds of video?  That should work (if  that's different to what you already tried.)
TAG file format is

[date]
2010/09/28
12:44:00

it may make a difference if you save it as TAG.txt as opposed to tag.txt as well.

I just made a time lapse timer 'gadget' and have made a video explaining it , with some test video. (As we speak it's recroding a sky over Torbay, one frame every 20 seconds. I have fitted a polarising filter which should enhance he skies?)

Here's the timer gadget video

Edited By Bob Moore on 20/10/2010 15:41:18

Edited By Bob Moore on 20/10/2010 15:44:09