808 KeyFob Camera

Hi,

I'm new to modelflying.co.uk, happy to have stumbled across this thread as I have been playing with these cameras for a little while now.  Earlier in this year, we were joined at our regular flying patch by a pair of red kites, and I fancied trying to get some air-air shots.

The Chuck Lohr site is highly recommended reading, lots of useful info to be found there, including the link to the simple bit of software to download that should sort out setting the time and date.  After using this program, it's important to unplug the camera and switch it off.  The date change will take effect when the camera is next switched on.  If anyone's really stuck, pm me.

As for memory cards - 4Gb is just right, but do go for a Class 4 type at least..

Here's one of my movies with this camera, shot from a 22" flying wing - it does tend to get bumped around a bit, but it's handy to take out:

and here's a few frames, as swifts come in for the kill!

cheers,

Dave

Hi, glad you liked the vid...

Been a long time since I flew ic, so I can't really say for sure.  I did try a camera in a small electric helicopter, but vibration was bit of a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help on that one, but if you do try it out, do let us know how you got on.

Here's somebody flying ic, and you can see the effect of vibration now and then, a sort of striped blurring.

• 1 year later...
I received one of these today and it stateswith 4gb card,do I assume its in built as Ive no seperate card with it..I havent figured out any of its workins yet its very poor instructions that I dont understand,in that Im doing what itsays but havent a clue if its on or off.Ive connected it to my computer but there is no information on how to proceed and its not appearing on my computer the way a standard camera does.

Stephen,

if you check the side of the camera, you will find a tiny slot, on the same side as the usb port - the memory card should be in that slot (assuming that it is the 'keyfob' camera).
To remove the card, press it in very slightly and release - it should spring out.

If the card is present:
when you connect your camera to your computer via the usb port, does the computer give the usual 'beep-beep'? If not, try another usb lead. If so, wait a few moments and then try clicking on 'my computer' - the camera should show up as a removeable drive, or similar.

On top of the camera, front left, is a pinhole - when connected to the PC, the led hiding down there should light - bit hard to see in daylight. If so, leave it connected for 30 mins or so to charge - but if the camera starts to feel warm, disconnect it. If you do nowt else, the camera should shut down automatically after a few mins - or press and hold the rear of the 2 front buttons for a couple of seconds and release. (The rear 2 buttons are dummies)

Try the above and let me know how you get on - I have an instruction sheet somewhere that I can send to you, once you know that the card is present and the camera connects ok.

Hi Dave,there is nothing in my slot(so to speak) and when I press the rear button the light comes on and then flashes slowly,if I press it down again the light says on,. I let go and it goes off.If i then press video it lights anf=d flashes 3 times,then the light comes back on and flashes about every second then goes off.

ok, first thing you need to do is fit a micro SD card - the sequences from the LED sound different to how they usually are, but it might just be the lack of a memory card - I've never tried operating one without.

These cards are pretty tiny - perhaps it got lost in the packaging! They only cost a fiver or so, and it's best to go for at least a Class 4 type. Let me know when you've got this - I'll have the better instruction deets at work... Do persevere - I've had a lot of fun with mine, mostly mounted on a small flying wing.

Santa was good to me at Christmas except for the little something extra I asked for - no not the aeroplane - the key fob camera.

So it looks like I will just have to get it myself. From what I can gather the prices varey hugely and some of them are different to others.

Can someone point me to the right one to get please.

Thanks.

Posted by David Lane 2 on 14/01/2012 21:32:18:
Interesting - I didn't know that there was an HD version of these cameras. Not sure about the MOV format though, I have never got on with this.
Hi Dave,

Have you found any particular issues with *.mov, I thought it was just the quicktime format.

Hi Ian, yes, that's right, Quicktime uses MOV. Fine if you are a Mac user - but I find that playing MOV files on a PC to be sometimes a bit clunky, and are perhaps not that easy to open in a video editor - at least with Windows Movie Maker. There are some sample files to be found on the Lohr site just here, and it may be worth downloading one to check that it will open in your preferred video editor. The sample photos do look rather nice, though...

Okay you want *.AVI ?

It doesn't come as standard but apparantly the new #16 (that would be No.16 in English), can be changed to do just that.

I haven't ordered mine yet so I just might go for this instead of the #11

Edit - reading RC groups forum, it seems the AVI conversion may not be the answer after all

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/01/2012 16:00:39

I know the one I bought was cheap but this new #16 sounds quite advanced and it appears someone has made the effort to put some instructions out,pity the retailers and manufactureres dont make the same effort,still waiting for the promised memory card to arrive.Havent a clue what "mark " ive bought ,but it came in a very nice box.!!!!

I believe it's impossible to know which one you've got unless you can believe the specs that came with it or taking it apart means something to you.

I think that is why that jolly nice chap, Mr Lohr allocated numbers to them - or did he get them from somewhere else?

I have to admit that the initial attraction had been "worth risking a fiver" for some fun but I'm now pretty much hooked on the idea that decent quality can be had by spending a still fairly modest price.