808 KeyFob Camera

I tried down loading Windows Movie Maker without success kept telling me there were technical difficulties,but have managed todownload Video Pad,but it lost connection on my first edit.Its interesting how this little camera gives one a new dimension with model flying and when I should my new girlfriend what I had been upto she was fascinated.

Hi all, just finished mounting the 808 camera, i used one tic tack box, fishing line, lead weight and lure connector from my fishing box, i pack of velcro from dunelms £1.50,
i cut the end of the tick tack box so the lens can be seen, small lenth of fishing line with a small lead weight in side the box to stop the line coming out, conected the line to the lure connector and hooked it in the strut mounting this is just in case the camera comes off you dont have to have it.
I put 2 strips of velcro on the box and 2 on the wing, if you mount the box on the top of the wing the buttons can be activated with the camera in the box, mine is mounted under the wing so i have to switch it on first to record then put it in the box or the video will be up side down, put a little bit of foam to stop camera moving some pics to show how i done it i have seen it done like this before.
Dave

I tried the camera out yesterday on the under wing mount, the images were moving a lot quicker than they were with mounting under the fuselage, it was a bit windy and the model was getting blown around, the tic tac box did not effect the trim but i found that the camera did have a problem with going from sun to shade and made some of the video a bit dark, no propeller movement in video this time but the roll does make the video faster,going to mount the video camera facing the fuselage next time been told the effects look good in this postion.
Dave.

Stephen, just going to turn the camera 45 deg so its looking down the wing facing the fusalarge there are some videos on the net google it up, im going to try facing rearwards next time im up the field going to mount the camera with some new velcro as near to the traling edge as i can get, you could mount yours at the back end of the fusalarge if its flat.
Dave.

Ithink i going to get a bigger memory card as i only got i flight i think its 512mb , 2gb should get me 4x10 min flights, not tried to post any videos realy like to get a good video before i post any , just trying to find the best postion to get the best video, so far the fusalarge postion has come out best.
Dave

tried the camera out on saturday bit to cold to mess around so i put the camera back in its original postion under the fusalarge, found a 2gb card in old phone so used this for now, i charge the camera every time i go to the field because of the cold weather, looks like the best results are when you have a nice blue clear sky the quality of the video is a lot better than a over cast day , going to see how much the hd version is when i can find the best postion for this camera when i go up the field next time going to try with the camera facing backwards , the model is now collecting a lot of velcro so i need to find a good postion,
Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,interested in buying a cheap key fob camera from Ebay, for experiments. The one I saw did not have a card, but supports a 8Gb TF card. Can any one explain what is meant by "support" and is an 8Gb card suitable. Cheers ps another dull question ,what does TF stand for ? Got a lot to learn fellows, LoL.

If it says it supports 8Gb then it means it can write to the whole 8Gb in one go, assuming of course there is enough battery capacity to run the cam for that long.

Some of the earlier 808 Key Fob cams software could only write to 4Gb in a single continuous file.

TF stands for TransFlash and is a trade name for a micro SD card.

What is important is that you get a micro SDcard with a fast enough write speed, least a class4 or higher, other wise you can get 'missing frames' in your video where the card has not been able to store the video frames fast enough.

I've messed around with these key fob cameras quite a bit, and never got near runnng out of room with a 4Gb card - but you can get an 8Gb now for around a fiver, amazing, really. Do get yourself one - they are so cheap that you won't worry about damaging/losing it, and for the price, the results can be pretty good.

A couple of question maybe someone can help answer please?

What is the latest version of the 808, looking on ebay there are several versions or #'s;

Also there seems to be a lot of comment about sub standard models from some suppliers so does anyone have a recommendation for a ebay outlet that is trustworthy, or better still anyone know of any UK based retailers that supply. Don't mind paying a bit more to be sure I'm getting the genuine article

Ta

Avtur, the best place to look for up to date info is the Chuck Lohr site at http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

The #3 camera was generally reckoned to be the best and can be identified by having the date stamp in yellow, lower right of the image. I have no experience of the newer, HD versions. As to where to buy...it's a bit of a minefield, especially concerning the HD versions and fake sellers. You might try reading the thread here. It's been some time since I bought any myself (I was selling afew on ebay), so I'm not up to date.

That said, with these cameras going for so little, if you can't find a UK seller with the advantage of some comeback - just go for it and take a chance on ebay. The whole point about these gizmos is that they are almost throwaway! Good luck..

Edited By David Lane 2 on 07/03/2012 22:26:02

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by avtur on 07/03/2012 00:11:04:

A couple of question maybe someone can help answer please?

What is the latest version of the 808, looking on ebay there are several versions or #'s;

Also there seems to be a lot of comment about sub standard models from some suppliers so does anyone have a recommendation for a ebay outlet that is trustworthy, or better still anyone know of any UK based retailers that supply. Don't mind paying a bit more to be sure I'm getting the genuine article

Ta

the link below is the only recommended seller, the latest camera being the 808#16. if you visit rcgroup.com start by using this link for in depth info and config and firmware updates. very good forum this with stacks of help and info from developers and users.

rcgroup link below.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

recommended seller link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-DVR-808-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-16-Real-HD-720P-H-264-Pocket-Camcorder?item=180776698380&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7302591912123406440

Posted by cymaz on 28/03/2012 15:12:44:

You could try this

this is not a hd cam, there are also fake hd cams around that only upscale a 480 image giving a larger file but no improved resolution.

if it's less than about £25 it wont be hd, check out the link to the rcgroup i posted and you will see the full story. there is also a good youtube video by techmoan that reviews and clarifys the subject. buyers beware eletoponline.365 is the only trusted seller as they also manufacture the minicam.smiley