Farmhand 90

Dale.

It is good to be back into the build.

Others have said exactly the same as yourself re the kit quality. If I am honest I think that is why it languished so long on the top of the wardrobe.

I have in the meantime built 3 models from plans, so only had myself to blame for any cutting errors.

The whole undercarriage thing still concerns me, but if thoise who have gone before say it is good, who am I to say otherwise.

Kev

I have been trying to get in touch with Steve Holland to determine where the C of G should be located for the Farmhand 90. So far without success.

I wonder if anyone else out there has come across the same problem. On Page 10 of the Construction Guide, he says the "model should balance at the main spar, or a maximum of 15 mm forward of it."

However on Page 11 of the same guide, the table indicates that "Centre of gravity on the main spar (100 - 115 mm from leading edge.)"

Given that the main wing spar is 100 mm back from the leading edge, the Page 10 location is 85 - 100 mm back from the leading edge, and the Page 11 location is 100 - 115 mm back from the leading edge.

Does anyone know which of the two is correct?

• 11 months later...

Look what hit the bench again over the weekend.blush

fuselage completed (1).jpg

fuselage completed (4).jpg

fuselage completed (10).jpg

As you can see the fuselage is all but complete. Just needs a session with the lightweight filler and sanding down. I will be leaving that till just before the covering stage. I am thinking of glassing the wings, but am a bit worried about the weight, as i only have the CRRC40 for this. Fuselage will probably be Solartex, or maybe Diatex.

Two hatches now in the front for easier access, and to allow me to add weight if needed. The tail sections are not glued in yet, just put in place for the picture`s.

A question for those who have built bigger wings.

The wing sheeting according to Steve is made up of a 6" and a 4" sheet joined to make a 10" one. Did you guys go for this option or have you used something else. Three 4" sheets trimmed down to 10", one 4" and two 3" to give you the required 10" ?

I am now determined to complete this model and will not be buying any more kits or plans until this is done. :-X

Kev

Straped the engine on for a look see today.

engine (1).jpg

engine (6).jpg

engine (8).jpg

Looks really small doesent it. Hard to believe its a 40cc petrol engine.

Not sure about the ignition unit as there is only a 1cm gap between it and the hot engine.

Now I have the engine temperarily mounted I can make the cowl. I will make up two of these, one stock and a second using a template from the ply sheet.

Reason! I think I am going to need a bit of nose weight. If I make a second longer cowl I will be able to move the engine forward.

Kev

Kev,

Regarding your question about sheet size for wing skins, I think it is always best to mimnimise the number of glued joints. So, in this case, the ideal would be to use two 4 in x 48 in sheets and one 3 in x 48 in sheet. Having said that however, 48 in long sheet is not always easily sourced and I had to make my skins from 3 in x 36 in sheet. This meant that each length had to include a scarf joint to make up the 45 in required. Not difficult but it does take a bit of care. The trick, if you can call it that, is to ensure that all the longitudinal joints are final trimmed against a straight edge so that they fit perfectly before gluing. And that the completed wing skin is finish sanded before it is glued to the ribs.

Dale

Now I have the engine temperarily mounted I can make the cowl. I will make up two of these, one stock and a second using a template from the ply sheet.

Reason! I think I am going to need a bit of nose weight. If I make a second longer cowl I will be able to move the engine forward.

Kev

Well that took longer than anticipated. Steve makes it look so easy on the DVD.

cowl (1).jpg

cowl (3).jpg

cowl (6).jpg

Kev

• 1 month later...

So after buying the wood for the wings twice before and using them on other projects.

Slec, Rougham LMA show = More wood bought!!

Made a start on Monday.

Made the wing skins then dry assembled the components.

wings (2).jpg

wings (4).jpg

I think at this point I could have picked the whole lot up (no glue) and moved it.

No pictures of the wing under construction.

But one half complete, another one to go.

wing skined (1).jpg

wing skined (14).jpg

Leading edge to shape and wing tip to add. Flaps and aeliron to cut out. All to be done later. Hopefully to save the hanger rash.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...