Farmhand 90

• 2 months later...
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 10/04/2014 20:46:47:

Yes it is.

I made a bit of a mess of the centre section though.

Goes on a treat and conforms well round compound curves.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 10/04/2014 21:14:48

Thought so. Looks good. Interested to see what you do with the rest of the plane.

I used the slightly smaller black and white covering on the under-wing of a WOT4 classic recently - works great with yellow / red upper-wing. Trust me - you won't have difficuly telling which way up it is if you use a plain colour(s) for the top.

I bought some large red / white (same as yours I think), while it was in stock at HK(!), planning on maybe using it on the under-wing of the farmhard like you've done. I think though, that I'm going to stick to the Dusty scheme as close as I can. This might spoil the effect. Dis-orientation shouldn't be an issue with the farmhand due to the size and wing dihedral.

The chequerboard will definitely not go to waste as I have plenty more projects planned - I'll use it on something more aerobatic.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 11/04/2014 09:50:56

A clue as to the scheme.

dscf0385.jpg

Mainly red with a little white decoration on top.

The flash makes it look orange, but it is the same red as the chequer pattern.

I have also used the big chequer film on my Mini Jazz.

bottom covered (2).jpg

Good film, although I have noticed some white adhesive creep out from the edge of the red film. This did not happen on the chequer film.

Kev

Kevin,

I wondered if you have given any thought to the position of the CG yet?

The instructions suggest two options:

First, in item 63, it says "The model should balance at the main spar, or a maximum of 15 mm forward of it"

Second, in the table of recommended throws etc, it says "Centre of Gravity on the main wing spar (100 to 115 mm from the leading edge)"

Which option do you plan to go with?!

Dale

Kevin,

To make my previous post a little clearer, I should have mentioned that the main spar is 100 mm from the leading edge of the wing. Thus the options range from 85 mm to 100 mm and from 100 mm to 115 mm from the leading edge of the wing. A little confusing!

I will be very interested in what you decide.

Dale

Hi Kevin,

Having the C of G positioned so that the plane is a little nose heavy for the first flight sounds like a smart way to go.

However, what i was hoping to get your thoughts on was whether you were planning to go on the nose heavy side of the 100 mm to 115 mm range, or the nose heavy side of the 85 mm to 100 mm range. Maybe a little early to worry about that but when you get to that stage would appreciate your thoughts.

I've been reading the comments about C of G with interest as my build will also be reaching this stage soon.

I'm wondering whether the "rogue" 15mm is the thickness of the leading edge strip. Maybe one measurement is from the leading edge and the other is from the front of the wing ribs. just a thought, but I will certainly be checking this out later.

Not as easy as it sounds once the wing covering is in place. Maybe the laser cutouts left in one of the wing rib sheets will reveal all?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/04/2014 08:10:47

Kevin,

Hope you don't think I'm railroading your forum with this post. As the C of G will affect both builds and the issue was raised by Dale in your build log, I thought it best to post this here.

Dale.

You are absolutely right that there is a conflict between paragraph 63 of the manual and the table on the following page. It's exactly as you have said.

To clarify this and come up with a "sensible" C of G, I made a template from the laser cut wing rib sheet and marked it up as below. The two recommended C of G positions in the manual are shaded at the bottom. It can be seen that they overlap, so anywhere within this overlapping area should be "safe". By my calculations, anywhere between 100 and 107mm from the leading edge should be safe, with 100mm being my recommendation, and what I'll be aiming for.

dscn2838low.jpg

Gary,

That is certainly an interesting analysis but it overlooks the possibility (or probability in my view) that someone simply made a mistake in the instructions. I suspect one range is what the designer intended and the other range is the result of a typo. The question is which is which.

It would be good to get some input from the designer, or from Traplet.

I agree - there's definitely a mistake in the instructions.

My analysis assumes that there's only one mistake and identifies a safe area - from the wing spar to 7mm forwards of it. The common factor is that the C of G should be on the main spar, so moving forwards (by 7mm) will just make it a bit more stable for test flying.