Hi ,

With our British weather being so bad as of late , i decided to give the indoor scene a go . 
   So i made a couple of foam models and a Shokie to take a long and have a bit of fun in the still air of a sports hall .
Unfortunately the depron edge was a bit to big and fragile for the size of hall and so was broken  .
But i did still had a lot of fun reliving my childhood days with the free flight models i made  . Here are a few pictures of the models and a video .
Do any of you do the indoor scene and wot do you like to fly .

Would love to see wot you guys get up to lets see your models .
in the mean time here are mine .
A Flying Flea made from pink insulation foam .

A Super Piper made from Depron .

The Flying Flea 

Edited By Stephen Jones on 20/10/2010 22:28:53

Very interesting Stephen and well designed and built,I had a number of questions but you answered them all.I entered the foray of indoor flying by buying a mini J3 cub,BNF,spent the whole of a lovely summer windless evening flying it ouside the hall on some playing fields,when it became to dark out side I discovered it was to big for the hall!!!!!!!!!!

Been indoor flying for quite a while now. Started out with free flight rubber, mostly own designs as i actually had more sucess with these! Turned increasingly towards r/c especially when my outdoor flying started to improve.

Had a couple of helicopters, but got increasingly into shockies and now almost exclusively fly these. Campaigned an ikarus edge 540 for ages, but upgraded a year ago or so to a clik V2.0 which is fantastic. I only have pictures of my most recent model though, the incredible Eflite Ultra micro 4-site. Unfortunately, it isn't quite as pristine any more, but its been a lot of fun

Re the Cub, its fine in a standard 4 badminton court hall, if your hall is smaller you may have problems. Alternatively, flying style? Lots of people fly really big turns indoors for some reason. These models are designed to fly indoors, they are agile and won't bite.

No, futaba don't do anything that small. The 4-site is part of the integrated Horizon hobbies range which couples its spektrum dsm2 radio with an eflite airframe. it would be difficult and actually a bit daft to think about converting it. if you want one you should get a spektrum radio. I do maintain with the 4-site that its only really worth getting if you're definitely going to fly aerobatics with it indoors. Thats what it was designed for and for 3D fans the good news is thats what it does well

Love indoor free flight, and have a collection of small, mainly rubber powered things to do it with, nearly all stick and tissue built ranging from Peanut scale and "NoCal" profile - such as a Jodel Bebe and a newly build Piper Cub - to the well known Hangar Rat, with various things like the Peck designed Prairie Bird and a half-scale Achilles in between. Will get round to a picture album soon, though I can't claim most of my models are all that pretty - more functional !  Like those Depron models of yours, Stephen, very neat.
     I don't have the finesse for the real slow flying ultra-light contest things, but nice light models that don't thwack the wall too hard are all good.  Hope to do more indoor meets this winter than last, they are good fun. Am hoping to go to Wallingford this Sunday for one of the all-FF sessions, though it's a fair way from where I live; but at least you have a rough idea of what the weather will be like indoors!  Am keeping my newly developing R/C "skills" on the outside for the moment, dsafer for all concerned!

Edited By Huggy on 22/10/2010 15:27:11

• 2 weeks later...
We had one of our regular indoor meetings on Saturday, where good fun was had by all. In response to a previous challenge to build something original for the event, I built a 50% scale model of my Maricardo.

Does this qualify as large scale?

Could always build one of these

My Stunt Monkey was a free plan in RCM&E. Test flew it in the gym on Tuesday morning, brilliant fun. Treated myself to a cheap 2s motor and some 350mah 2s packs to get the weight down into that magical 140-150g mark. 

Been trying to learn to hover better to start practicing rolling harriers etc. Managed to hover one entire pack infront of myself and my first few multiple torque rolls.

Can't recommend the model enough, flies much better than the Dual Sky Breeze it replaced.

Cheers,

Simon

Posted by Eck on 04/11/2010 20:46:26:
We had one of our regular indoor meetings on Saturday, where good fun was had by all. In response to a previous challenge to build something original for the event, I built a 50% scale model of my Maricardo.

Does this qualify as large scale?

That's nice Eck, I do like that.

Yes, it's a scratch build. Just took the measurements from the full-size and halved them. The fuselage and tail (empennage?) are from 3mm Depron, and the flat-plate wing from 6mm EPP, with a 3mm carbon spar. The canopy and forward deck are carved and sanded from insulation foam. Power is a cheapo "Blue Wonder" pole and stator motor, with a 10A Robotbirds ESC and 330mA/H 2S LiPo. Next project (for the February indoor meet) is likely to be a Wot 2. (half size Wot 4).

• 1 year later...
I just built the stunt monkey but mine weighs 180g I do have a 500 mah lipo on it though . I also put the fillets on all edges , flush finish with the nose. The used one of the futaba circle servo plates as a motor mount( sanded the raised centre of. ) the fillets gave extra strength and adhesion area for the mount plate.

Hi Gaz ,

180g , That`s a 40g increase may not be the stunt monkey you would hope for .

Even a small increase in weight on such a small plane can have a dramatic effect to its performance .

My Easy Flea is 20g heaver than the free flight Flea , So i have no idea how well it will fly .

I hope to test fly it at Rochdale indoor flying meeting soon , it has an AuW of 80g and has a 20" wing span .

P.s
Sounds like you have put a servo disk to good use

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Indoor flying season is with us again ,

And as usual for me i like to build something for indoors so here is my latest .

rcflea2.jpg

It is basically the same as my free flight flea but with rc for control .

rcflea4.jpg

Only this time i have gone against tradition and made the main wings with flaperons .

I have also simplified the fuselage to incorporate the motor .

rcflea5.jpg

Traditionally the only controls on a flying flea are motor , rudder and pitch on the main wing , but sometimes the rudder can be over powering so i have combined pitch with ailerons using two small linear servos .

It is un-tested at present and although the AuW is very close to my free flight Flea i feel the motor is a little under powered .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 20/11/2012 22:50:44