Hi kevin ,

Yes there are loads of full size Flying Fleas still flying and new ones being built too .

**LINK**

I plan on building a 40" or 50" HM21 soon , as usual for me i will build several small ones first then when happy move onto the large scale rc version .

I fly at Rochdale indoor meeting which is on turf hill road .

Watch this space ,

i also plan doing a flying boat too Spanish .

• 11 months later...

Hi ,

Just thought i would bump this one back on to as i have been ask how do i build the indoor models and what foam i use and how do i use it to make models .

Ok i use Depron which comes in large flat sheets in thickness 1.5mm , 3mm , 5mm and can be bought from model shops or mail order from various sites i use steve webb or Depron Foam but just use Google and i am sure you will find one near you .

I also use insulation foam from B&Q space board , it is a pink foam and is 50 mm thick so i use a hot wire to slice it up into sheets of any thickness i need , i also form wings out of it too .

dscf0951.jpg

This one has the body made from the pink foam which was cut and sanded to shape and the wings are made from Depron sheet .

dscf0962.jpg

And this one is all from Depron sheet .

Hope this helps .

Cheers Steve ,

• 2 months later...

Sad news ,

Well for me anyway , I did go and do some indoor flying at weekend and My Free Flight flying flea is now Dead sad .

For some unexpected reason it got a large power boost and rocketed up into the roof where the motor came to a sudden stop causing both the motor and timer to burn out .

Flying Flea

It lasted me 3 years .

So it is time for me to build a new one . but this time i think i will build two of them one free flight and one rc , which i

will be robbing the radio gear out off a old rc plane .

Would it be of any interest to anyone if i was to do a build blog , or is it just me that likes these little fleas question

http://pouchel.compouchelviabon.jpgHello Stephen,

Very sorry to hear about your Flea, I always enjoyed seeing it flying at Rochdale indoor. I for one would love to see your new build, did you build the old one from a plan? Please accept my apologies for posting a duplicate link on the Bertie Bassett thread, I only noticed it after I managed to include a link in my post. I'm not very good with these computers, it's all one fingered typing for me, i'm afraid.

Will you go for the HM14 again,or another model ? There is a very interesting French website, you may know about it, called APEV or pouchel, where they built full size aircraft from ladders originally. They have quite a range of types, not just fleas. One of the interesting things is that, their flea has no dihedral on the wings and it seems to work quite well, it would mean making the wings a lot easier to make.

Hope to catch you at the Rochdale meet soon,

Regards,

Kieran.

Edited By Flying Flea on 08/01/2014 12:57:47

Edited By Flying Flea on 08/01/2014 13:04:58

Edited By Flying Flea on 08/01/2014 13:05:25

Hi Flying Flea ,

And welcome to the forum .

I don`t really need plans for these kind of things just a 3 view from the Webb will do , then i will make the rest up as i go along , The HM14 is a real simple build and yes it the HM14 i will be doing again , as you probably already know i build this sort of thing all the time .

But it is only the HM14 shape that seems to bring people over and ask "is that a Flying Flea ?" when there are other flying flea s next to it but not HM14 funny that is not .

i had thought that this would make a good indoor design as the propeller is less likely to get caught or broken when it hits walls . But yet again no one would think it is a flying flea .

Cheers Steve .

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok Indoor flying season is upon us again,

And i have been to the Rochdale indoor flying meeting today , and every year it seems to catch me un-prepared and so it was a case for quickly getting together last years models and getting them flight ready some needed repairs and others just re trimming .

All went well as none of them ended up as confetti and good for their next outing .

Here are some Videos of todays Fun.

My Tiny Bit Special which is one of my favorite at the moment as it is just fun and easy to fly.
My Rc Flying Flea with Nine Eagles Radio from a Flyline Model.

And My free flight Flying Flea .

And finally A Nine Eagles Flyline model converted to no lines needed to fly indoors.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 19/10/2014 20:12:40

• 1 year later...

Hi again,

How to have some cheap indoor flying fun,

indoor1.jpg

Buy one of these for £1.99 . then add some light R/C gear.

indoor2.jpg

This flies really well and nice and slow on a 1s setup .

There was even a Falcon flying around the gym.

indoor3.jpg

This one i got from Falcon models and once again some light weight gear and despite it`s size flies nice and slow.

I did make some alterations to it though.

indoor4.jpg

A small 1504 brushless motor.

indoor5.jpg

Two 2 gram servos and i altered the wing seat to give 3 degrees positive Aoa.

indoor6.jpg

And i did away with the supplied ply horns and fitted home made horns from clear plastic.

Un-fortunately my wing man/boy was not well and so no Pictures or videos of my models flying .

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The last indoor meeting at Rochdale today.

And managed to get my balsa wood Flying flea to fly, i had to remove the suggested radio gear ,

Two 2g servos One 2g receiver and Esc . I fitted a small receiver with on-board servo and Esc that i re purposed from a control line model.

So i only had control over the rudder and Motor.

Next year i will make a much larger one. As the weight to lift ration will be much easier to reach.

Steve

• 8 months later...

junior 18 indoor 1.jpgTwo pictures of my Junior 18 indoor model. This is a 30% scaled down Ben Buckle Junior 60, largely 2mm depron but with a wing from 4mm depron. This gave me the opportunity to carve an wing section section using a Permagrit block.

The power train, receiver and servos came out of an old ParkZone T28 that had received one too many mid air collisions !

Hope you like it.junior 18 2.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 09/02/2020 at 13:46, Philip Barrett 2 said:

/sites/3/images/member_albums/184974/850832.jpgTwo pictures of my Junior 18 indoor model. This is a 30% scaled down Ben Buckle Junior 60, largely 2mm depron but with a wing from 4mm depron. This gave me the opportunity to carve an wing section section using a Permagrit block.

The power train, receiver and servos came out of an old ParkZone T28 that had received one too many mid air collisions !

Hope you like it./sites/3/images/member_albums/184974/850833.jpg

Looks good have you flown this yet.

Steve.

• 1 year later...