Compiling Electric Set up Data

In another thread (this one) we have been discussing the wheres & whyfors of how to find what set up works in your shiny new electric model. I thought it would be useful to compile a database of various peoples electric set-ups to find what works & what doesn't.....amongst the forum users just about every model must have been built/flown/crashed with a good bad or indifferent set up.

I thought I'd have a go at collating this info which would be a really useful resource for anyone contemplating a particular model....check the database & see if you really can fly a TN Spitfire on an AXI 2203 motor .

Hopefully the bods at RCM&E will pick this up & make it a searchable database but we'll see......like all databases it's only as good as the info in it & this is where you come in.....

Here's how it works...

I have created a spreadsheet with all the details I think useful.....PM me for a copy....fill in your model details & send it back to me & I will collate the info onto one spreadsheet.....

If we all follow the same format then it should be a matter of copying & pasting the info from one sheet into another....no promises (I might get buried by the response & I still need to eat, sleep, work, build & fly...) but lets see how we get on......

Thanks all.....I look forward to my first PM!!!

Hi Tony....yes I suppose so but I was hoping to keep it on the Forum......David Ashby has emailed me & said he will make a live link to download the (regularly updated) spreadsheet for anyone who wants it.....

I also thought that the first half dozen (or so) requests I would ask for input as to what data should be recorded......I have put down what I think is useful but others might have different views so if the first few could advise any changes then hopefully we will collect some really useful data here

Also I just wanted to add that I need your email address in the PM....I can't send attachments via the RCM&E message system so I couldn't attach the spreadsheet to any replies....

Thanks

PS David Ashby wins the "First PM Received Award" & for this he gets.....absolutely nothing....

OK Cheers David....I'm just collating a few opinions (in a totally non-scientific way...) as to the content of the spreadsheet....once a few people have reached a consensus then I'll go with it....we can't ask everyone after all.....

The first half dozen or so to PM me can comment on the content but after that I'll close it off & run with it...I do want Timbos input though....as our resident sparky guru I'm sure he'll have some thoughts....

With regard to sorting then I'll probably submit it sorted alphabetically by model.....in Excel you can search & sort pretty effectively so if people download it then they do what they want with the data....

Tonys idea of putting it on Google Docs might be interesting....I've not done this so I'll check it out but my thought was that if the info comes from RCM&E Forum users then they & the website should get the benefit rather than it being "Open Source" on Google.... 

Just been having a play with Google Docs & I think I've set it up correctly...

This should take you to the spreadsheet.

Can I suggest we take a look at the details & post back any suggestions here.....lets give it until midnight on Saturday for suggestions. After that we'll consider it closed & run with it. I'll incorporate these suggestions & incorporate them & then start sending out the document originally suggested above....

(edited to correct link)

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 28/10/2010 16:48:43

Motor needs no load current, internal resistance and weight, model could do with chord and foil type.
Maybe measured watts for the people who have, and type of flying, ie trainer, sport, 3D.

Not certain if you want it to be a complete reference, or specifically aimed at those who don't want to do anything except look for a working setup and not worry about anything else.

If that is the case, you could probably do with less detail.

Thanks for the input Steve. My plan is to make it an easy to use reference for those looking for a working set up for an electric model.

The additional motor data suggested might be useful to those who really want to get into the detail but frankly they are not something I've ever wanted to know & the chord & airfoil are defined by the model & can't be changed....

The idea is that someone who buys model "X" but isn't sure what to set up to use can access the data & see what other people used & how it worked....agree this is very subjective in that a model I think flys well might be ballistic to someone else & boring to another pilot.....it should give a useful start point though... especially for an IC to Leccy conversion....

Cheers John.....if everyone adds 4 or 5 models the data will soon grow.....granted there will be some cross over but this is a good thing....you will be able to compare set ups of popular models......

Just had a thought.....what about adding a link to the person who supplied the initial data.....? Then you could say..."I think that Extra that Steve had looks interesting...I'll just ask him...." etc. It would mean email addresses being published though...maybe not what we want....any views??

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 28/10/2010 17:14:17:

Just had a thought.....what about adding a link to the person who supplied the initial data.....? Then you could say..."I think that Extra that Steve had looks interesting...I'll just ask him...." etc. It would mean email addresses being published though...maybe not what we want....any views??

Perhaps just have a field for the forum name of the contributor - anyone wanting to follow up can then PM the contributor.

Pete
ps PM sent

OK, see what you want to do, the extra won't be needed

The reason I like and use the details is if someone says they have used 12356GT with two go-faster-stripes  motor and it worked fine, that doesn't translate into something like a 3536 or 3542 that I might have available or be able to buy.

Yes the chord and airfoil are defined by the plane, but without chord you can't work out wing loading, and the wing section can make a big difference to power and duration.

Again, if you wanted to be specific and say this make of Cub, and this make and size of motor, I agree you don't need it, it's only when you don't have the exact same setup as listed the details are useful.

FWIW, I see this whole project ( good idea btw) as a "dummies guide " style thing.
Anyone wanting to know wing loadings, I/Os etc, would not be using this chart.
KISS.
I have only just got in after along day, so need a bit more time toi digest the whole thing.
I assume there is one sheet per model, with various setups that worked - as contributed by various peeps?
A very quick look made me think maybe...

Excel could calculate metric weight from imperial data supplied ( more common )

and insert in adjacent column.

Maximum voltage / current not required.

Kv doesnt need cell count.

Battery types – lipo or life only - nickel is all but dead and buried

Cell count, then voltage, then capacity,

I think I would stick to just one favoured capacity

ESC label in wrong box

Before duration - add a column for resultant watts per pound.

Ill have a better look tomorrow, and then might get around to actually supplying some data, but it wont be quick.

Granted there may be many still using their NiMhs

But this data is likely to be of the greatest use, and interest, to electric newbies. I'll wager there aren't too many potential converts to electric power  who will be looking to invest in anything other than lithium technlogy

The thing is, by omitting a perfectly reasonable choice, you would then lose all of  the other data about that model. Swapping a lipo for a working set-up that is running on NiMhs makes use of good hard data on what has worked previously. With no possibility of including those round-cell set-ups a lot of useful comparative data would be lost.

Data about the model - like the wing area and wing loading  is important too.

Posted by IanN on 28/10/2010 22:37:14:
Granted there may be many still using their NiMhs

But this data is likely to be of the greatest use, and interest, to electric newbies. I'll wager there aren't too many potential converts to electric power  who will be looking to invest in anything other than lithium technlogy

That was my thinking too Ian.

I'm not saying there is no use at all for the Nimh data - it will obviously be of interest to those users - but I think it would need to be on a seperate sheet or tab.

With no experience of choosing electric set ups at all, If I want to know what electric set up to buy to give me success with a given model then I only see one way to go, battery wise.

Edited By IanN on 28/10/2010 22:56:02

Posted by leccyflyer on 28/10/2010 22:42:29:
The thing is, by omitting a perfectly reasonable choice, you would then lose all of  the other data about that model. Swapping a lipo for a working set-up that is running on NiMhs makes use of good hard data on what has worked previously. With no possibility of including those round-cell set-ups a lot of useful comparative data would be lost.

Data about the model - like the wing area and wing loading  is important too.

Yes but as has been said already - this was supposed to be for newbies and those folk who just cant be bothered to research - they are not the best people to be simply swapping old nickel cells for lighter more powerful lipos, as in some cases the results would be the magic smoke!
For the same reason, I suspect that they wont be too interested in wing loadings etc
Like I say, these are only personal observations, and as Steve was good / (daft ? ) enough to start the thing - he can make the decision as to whats needed and whats not.
I wont get me knickers in a twist whichever way it goes