Compiling Electric Set up Data

As people have said, Let's keep it simple.

XLS is good for recording and publishing
(As an option, we could produce a simple HTML page which just shows the info).
We shouldn't bite off too much and the "user" of the information can do a bit of reading it they want to find a model / setup rather than adding search capabilities and macros.... ?

Rather than having people using Excel or Open Office, maybe we could put together a template text document (everyone should have textpad, notepad or similar), which they can complete and email back to a central point, and that can be entered when its convenient.

Eventually we could turn this into a web based app, with a DB, and spend lots of happy hours maintaining, rather than getting out there and flying....
(Will now remove tongue from cheek)

Steve, I'm happy to try and provide assistance, should you need it.

Edited By Simon K 3 on 01/11/2010 12:04:44

Thanks Simon.....I might take you up on that...Excel I'm pretty comfy with but I've not done much publishing to the web....

I agree a web based App is the way forward so people can access an up to date list whenever they want.....rather than having to download the latest edition but I'm wary of creating a monster I can't control.....right now its very simple.....I copy & paste the data from the contributors sheet to my master & regularly send the master to David who makes it available for download...Easy!!!

Perhaps best just to crawl before I stagger to my feet & attempt to walk (I tend to leave the running to others!!!)

Sorry, Web app, whilst nice was a bit of a joke comment.... though doable

I was suggesting that having a text template would be a good idea to get around Excel / Open Office issues for the set-up "contributors" side, though Excel or similar would still be required on the "collators" side.

Also has benefit that someone on the "collation" side would have to review before including in the spreadsheet.

If I can help, even in the collation of data into a sheet, please let me know.

Edited By Simon K 3 on 01/11/2010 12:45:25

Steve's first copy wouldn't open for me in MS Works so he took away the password protection. It now opens and saves fine in MS Works Spreadsheet, ta! Like Timbo, I've got some data on individual models filed away but I'll probably have to do some opening up and testing with the watt meter, etc.

Will get it back ASAP.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Just by reading the previous notes about electric motor set-up scares me & I don't feel so bad about being electronically challenged. Its obvious that every one has thier preferred style of flying & a spread sheet or something similar would be good for mugs like me to stop burnig out motors & esc's. If we were all smart buggers we wouldn't be constantly filling these columns with questions now would we.Let knowledge be power.

Nothing to be scared about Ross.....you just need to jump in & get your feet wet. Follow a few simple rules of thumb...ask lots of questions & soon you will have passed over to the sparky side....teeth 2

Its interesting how most people seem to have a foot in both camps these days....they fly both IC & electric very happily....the old "IC versus electric...which is best" debate seems to have almost completely disappeared......

• 6 years later...