Compiling Electric Set up Data

Go to any electric flight event and the standard for of greeting goes along the  lines - "Nice model. What have you got in it?".

No need to put artificial limitations on who the data is going to be useful for, especially when, in the soreadsheet shown, the choice is in terms of data entered, rather than the number of categories of data. A bit like saying "Let's limit the data to only Outrunner motors of between 650kv and 1250kv" or "lets limit the batteries to only those between 2200mah and 4300mah".

Let's face it - this isn't meant to be a bible but a guide - a convenient resource where one can get an idea of what sort of setup on a particular model has worked for others.

Putting too much information in will over-complicate it and make it much less readable. I see it as a start point for further research by the modeller. What's so difficult about Googling the motor name or other variables to get the specific information?

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 29/10/2010 07:17:28

Nothing difficult in that at all, the point I was making is that if someone is flying a model with 14 Nimh cells successfully and that entireset of data is completely omitted from the database, because of the inclusion of only lipos/lifes in the data then the entire set of information is lost. 

That's all. It isn't an additional category that is needed it is merely not restricting the data shown in a particular column.

It is also forward looking. When, let's say for the sake of discussion something like "Na nanophoshphate polymer" batteries come to be - then Li poly might become as obsolete as NiMh are becoming now.

Got it in one Pete.....KISS is my guiding principle here!!

All I think we need are the basics of what worked in a particular model to act as a starting point for someone contemplating the same model....if they know that a Fizblurta ZXY motor (rated at 40A with a kv 973) teamed with a 3150.5 mAh 3S Lipo on a 12 3/4 x 5 7/16 Hwa Fong prop gave 397.3333 watts & a 8.75 minute duration then they can look for a similar motor/battery/prop as a good start point......

As Pete points out....Google will be your friend here

I'm going to add another column too.....Original Design Power Source (IC or EP)....this should help identify the IC to EP conversions in the list for those unfamiliar with the actual model....

Worth pointing out that if you don't know a particular piece of data then don't supply it....maybe you don't have a wattmeter & don't know the current/volts/watts....leave it blank. Obviously the less holes the better but any & all info is good.

Might the Mods consider making this thread a sticky to keep it near the top of the page also? The more data we can collect, the more useful the spreadsheet after all....

Cheers Tim....

I have to admit I was a bit confused by your innitial comments/suggestions but have just looked at the example data I'd put in for the Extra I understand what you mean!!!!
What I was trying to convey is that I sometimes fly the model with 1 & sometimes 2 x 2200mAh batteries (in parallel) hence the increase in duration.....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 29/10/2010 10:16:25:

What I was trying to convey is that I sometimes fly the model with 1 & sometimes 2 x 2200mAh batteries (in parallel) hence the increase in duration.....

That might be best entered as two separate lines, its a minor point but the weights would be different as well as the duration.  Effectively its two alternative setups that you use.

As one more likely to be consulting this list, rather than adding much, I wondered about the validity of adding information on the type of model ("Trainer", "Hotliner", "Glider" or whatever) and the resultant performance.  I'm not sure how to classify performance, maybe just a subjective comment is enough.  For example if there were two reported setups for the same model, with wildly different powers, it would be nice to know whether one was under powered, or whether the other was bonkers.

(Edit .. just noticed the comment on the sheet which serves the performance function)

Finally, I can't see any reason not to allow NiMH or even NiCd rigs.  There's a box for battery type, one for number of cells so it doesn't simplify the sheet to ban them.

Edited By Tony Smith 7 on 29/10/2010 13:07:46

I think you're right Tony....as you say, effectively its two different set ups.

Not sure about the need to add a model designation...obviously we can but I was thinking that people would most likely have a model in mind before going to the sheet...& as stated eralier..Google is you friend here....if you're not sure what the model is...Google it!!

Agree totally about classifying the performance....it can only be subjective....I think my models fly nicely because I've set them up for how I like to fly....others may think they are ballistic & twitchy or boring & pedestrian...

Maybe we should have a hooligan index with extra points awarded for those who exceed the 100 watts/lb rule (guilty as charged m'lud...)

The first 9 volunteers have just received their spreadsheets to fill in with their electric set up data. Thank you to all those who have requested a copy so far......

I see that 413 members have looked at this thread so far.....would you be willing to contribute your set up data?

If so please PM me with your email address & I will forward a copy to you. The more contributions we have & the more models we can nominate then the more use this database will be.....

Looking forward to receiving back the first completed spreadsheet.....

I have posted the final sheet here for anyone to look at....

(edited to correct link)

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 31/10/2010 11:31:59

First complete sheet has been returned (thank you Richard)!!!!

It occured to me that people might not have Excel on their computers & this might be holding them back......is this so?

If you'd like a copy but don't have excel then let me know & I'll see what can be done...maybe fill it in "on line" or an Open Office version.....

The spreadsheet would not open in my old version of Excel but it opens OK in Open Office which is of course free.  Open Office is a bit slow on an older computer with little memory but it opens the spreadsheet  after about a minute and works.

No problem with readability  Steve- but it aint quite come to the top of my priority list yet.
I do try to keep my own records of all this sort of data, but unfortunately, some of the models have had changes made, and I havent updated my records, so will need to start removing cowls etc to establish exactly what is in there these days
I did say at the start it wont be a quick job for moi.

No problem Tim......Rome wasn't built in a day....you can't boil the ocean at one go....you can't eat an elephant at one sitting etc etc etc...

It is very much the intention that this will be a "live" database with people adding models all the time...so a big effort to get all the existing models up there & then add then one by one as your fleet expands. So if you prefer do the first 100 models now.....then you could take a break & do the rest later in manageable chunks......

LOL...actually around a dozen or so currently.
One thing ....is each sheet going to have a mixture of all different models?
What sorting system will be used when people want to find a particular model?
That's two things
I'm off to the field right now, two models to test some mods out on before the wind picks up later today.

My point was that even an old computer can use Open Office but you need patience!  My old Celeron 460 with 64 megbytes is instantaneous with Office 95 & Firefox2 but seems to not work on any Open office application but it just takes time and eventually opens.      (maybe its half a minute )

Yeah I'm easy....excel is pretty good at sorting/finding things......I'll perhaps add a couple of macros to the version I send David to allow sort by model name & sort by manufacturer & maybe a "find" option too.....

I suspect this will only be a problem once we get to hundreds of models/lines. As I understand it the spreadsheet is to be available as download though so once you have the data its yours to do with as you please I suppose.....

Easy if you know excel but a bit harder if you don't I guess.....