The Electric Flight Database

Sorry Steve, I've just looked and the 'Added Extras' and 'Comments' fields are well out of kilter!
It's just a thought but I know it is possible to shade alternate rows in  Excel. This would make it easier to follow a line and may show up mis-placed data.
Pete

• 3 weeks later...
I think this database starts quite well - what I don't like is the mix of units (yes,yes we had this discussion also in another thread which went a bit out of control...)

As everybody will stick to the units he is familiar with - is it not possible to make an imperial column and a metric column for each value? with some macros it would be easy to switch from a metric view to an imperial view and vice versa.

And don't forget: metrification started in this country in 1965....

Another thing: There are a lot of little foxes flying around all over the place - not a single one in the database yet. I will chanche that and send the data of my version of the MPX fox to Steve. VA

Hi Vecchio....yes I understand what you mean about the units....we have inches (imperial) kilograms & grams (SI units) & probably the worst offender of all watts per pound which is SI & Imperial units all mixed up together!!!!!!! I guess there is simply no solution......many modellers do tend to use Imperial units even now. Personally I was taught (at school) in metric but still think in imperial......I can visulise 10 feet but would struggle visulising 9.23 metres!!!! There is a little conversion table on the database for converting model weights. The main problem with any sort of spreadsheet is that for the formulas to work you need the data supplied in the same format....take wingspan for example....it might be 1.8m or 1800mm or 71 inches or 5 foot 11inches & to write a formula that will cope with all that is beyond my puny Excel abilities!!!! KISS is my guiding principal with this one & if anyone want to convert he can get his own calulator out !!!

Besides I bet you Europeans still buy your props in imperial...a 10x6 sounds much better than a 254 x 152......!!!!

Personally I think its all Napoleans fault & as we all know he was a pretty useless electric flyer.....it's well known that he continuously burnt out ESCs through overpropping & would probably have won Waterloo if he hadn't been waiting for some epoxy to go off & didn't notice the arrival of the Prussians......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brilliant Idea , and a great litle spread sheet too.

already got two models on there that I have in my posession , and I intend to Electrify them , so this will be great advice to follow.

Just one very minor niggle , and maybe this is down to me being thik ..but it would be great if it included the exact thread details so they can be found easily and read to gain experience from one who has boldly gone where no man has gone before , oops sorry . became all Captain Kirk then ...

Once again a great idea ..

Hi Trevor.

When the spreadsheet was set up there was quite a bit of discussion as to what to include. The forum name of the contributor of each set of data is on the left end of the sheet - I suggest that anyone wanting info on a particular setup PM's the contributor. I'm sure all will be pleased to respond.

Pete

Glad you like it Trevor...as Pete B says the models are listed along with their contributors so you can find & contact them directly for advise discussion etc etc.....

I noticed Davids little piece in the mag (just arrived due to snow!!!) & was planning to add a post to raise the thread profile a little bit.....

Sad to say I've had no more contributions since early December....come on fellas don't be shy....send in your set up data & we can compile it into a really useful database to help our fellow modellers....

• 5 months later...
Hi Steve, what's happened the database has stalled? I emailed 2 setups in Jan/Feb they didn't bounce back so I assume you got them? Plus there must be heaps of Eflyers out there with info including conversions from I.C. I have found the database useful but it needs more input espc. for aircraft built up from plans, conversions and modification from standard recommendations by suppliers.

Regards Tim

Hi Tim....thanks for your input.. I totally agree with your sentiments...the more we can get on the database the more useful it will be & as you say there must be hundreds...thousands of electric models out there that have been converted or plan built or otherwise use a set up not specified by the manufacturer. The trick is getting people to send the details in so they can be published...

In fact I was only moaning to David (Ashby) recently that I had received no new set ups for months & that following the initial surge in data the idea seemed to have died off. Your note worries me as I haven't received anything in ages so I'm going to check that everything is set up correctly.......

Bear with me caller.....

Well...I'm not sure what to think.

Everything seems to be set up OK but there are emails in the Inbox going back to January. I have the [email protected] address set so all email is forwarded to my personal address & for some reason this hasn't happened......I blame Google!!!

I will update the database & get a new copy for David to upload.

There are a number of emails including one from Mick Reeves ("We are not worthy..we are not worthy etc.." ) & another from a Nigerian Prince who is going to give me $24 million Dollars just as soon as I give him my bank details......

Tim, nothing in there from you though....perhaps you could resend it & I'll include your data??

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 28/06/2011 13:18:01

• 2 months later...
Fantastic..

I cant contribute to it at this stage, cuz I've always flown electric models...
I can use it tho.. Makes looking for a power source / AUW, for a project, easier..

What about own design models..?? Not for the model details as such, but to see what peeps use in a certain W/S / AUW, etc...

i.e.
My Depron Bipe - 32", 425g, using a Tornado 28/26/12 on 3s

I appreciate no one knows what my Bipe is, but the general details can be colated and compared..!! On a different sheet if need be...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Hi all....

@ Chrisie plenty of room for own designs....suggest you use the standard submission form but for Manufactuer put Own Design & for model name just put a brief description of the model...."Slow flyer biplane" for example so everyone has an idea what sort of model it is.

@ Vecchio...most ceretainly....if you send me an updated version of your original submission form I'll add the details. I can send your form back to you if you like so you can add the extra bits....

@ Mick....glad you like it......send us your details then!!!!! I too am a hooligan & work on the same idea....I recognise that I do have a throttle that works in both directions....but then there is that Tim Mackey bloke who stuck over 700watts in a 2lb model...admittedly an EDF....but for sheer wanton hooliganism I think this takes top spot.........unless you can beat it....???

The database becomes more useful as more info is added so come on guys...don't be shy....send me your set up data....

• 3 months later...