Building my new Fournier RF-4

Peter Miller

Now the actual moulding  of my canopy.

This technique is called the drape method.

The pattern is large and cold so should be heated in the oven, Gas mark 1 for about 15 minutes. This stops the cold pattern cooling the plastic as the moulding is made.
The hot pattern is mounted in a workmate.

The plastic needs to be about 1/2 mm or just a bit more. the larger the moulding the thicker the sheet. It is clamped firmly to strips of hardwood. I even stuck mine down with CA.

The plastic is heated. Here I am using a gas ring. NOTE use gloves. The ring is not on for this photo. Heating has be even all over and the plastic has to be very floppy. This takes experience. If the plastic is not hot enough it can be reheated for another attempt.

The hot plastic is draped over the pattern. This is my second attempt. A bit too hot on one side but OK. Note gloves. Note that the pattern started to separate in the oven. Never mind, it will look good at 50 feet in the air.

This is the canopy just after removing from the pattern.

And trimmed up to fit the model.

The finish depends on the finish of the pattern. Mine is not brilliant. A coat of fuel proofer will help inside.

Smaller canopies are easier. You make the pattern in the same way. Then you take a piece of plywood well over the size of the pattern and cut a hole the same shape as the pattern buy with a little clearance . Radius the edges of the hole.

Clamp the plastic down firmly and heat evenly. When floppy press the pattern through the hole.

I once knew a modeller who didn't clamp the plastic down but put it into the oven to heat. The sheet of 0.030" X12" X 8" plastic came out 2" X 1 1/5" X 1/8" thick!!!

The pop bottle system works very well for soem shapes of canopy. I have done a very big canopy with a gallon bottle but the ribs showed up.

Things like a B-17 cockpit and turrets etc are best done with the pattern and ply cut out method. Smaller bubble canopies are the same.

It is a case of using the best method for the job  and that is a matter of experience.

I cover windows and moulding in detail in "Essential TIps and Techniques" Vol One published by Traplet Publications.

Well, a bit more progress.

A very simple cockpit, just a panel and a pilot. The panel isn't scale in layout.

The pilot is one of my Assagai pilots, just about the best pilots you can buy, only on Ebay. Note, even the teeth on the zip are modelled.

The cockpit has just been stuck down with canopy glue and held with four screws.

The SC 30FS installed. I am sure that most of it could be hidden but I like plenty of access on the field. If you haven't got it, you will need it. The spinner is in the post to me!

The radio installation is simple. Battery under the tank, Rx wrapped in bubble wrap and strapped down. 3 Supertec MiniL servos. The ailerons are operated by 9 gram metal geared servos with 100% differential, i.e. lots of up and almost no down.

Edited By Peter Miller on 02/12/2010 12:12:53

Finished at last.

THis shows the outrigger made from a kitchen cleaner tube. Also shown is the servo hatch.

Logo and flag on the fin by BMD GRaphics. They put on some extra research to find out just what it was.

The fuselage registration by BMD GRaphics.

Now theysay that Sunday will be fine, sunny and mild with ow wind speeds.

Hollow laughter.

• 2 weeks later...
We have the snow now and it has been -8 for the last couple of nights and never climbed above freezing all day.

Luckily I am stocked up and can last for two weeks without going out...much to the disgust of my next door neighbour. I seem to provide her transport a lot of the time along with a lot of other people.

I shall spend Christmas drawing up three now plans. One for RCM&E. Well, they have one on file, one waiting to be sent in. Then building furiously for a few weeks.

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/12/2010 18:36:25

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/12/2010 18:35:47:

Luckily I am stocked up and can last for two weeks without going out...much to the disgust of my next door neighbour. I seem to provide her transport a lot of the time along with a lot of other people.

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/12/2010 18:36:25

Good to hear you have lots of balsa in......................

Fournier looks really nice. 

Hi Tim. That's me. Work like heck and then burn out for a few weeks. I just replaced three windows, now I need to get enough to do the front windows. no double glazing in these old cottages and last night it was -12 outside.

Andy: There is a biplane coming first. The Fournier has not been test flown yet and it looks like it will be a while before the weather allows that, I need warmth (comparative) and bright sunlight and blue sky. A couple of Sundays ago it was cloudy so I didn't take the model. Then the sun came out. $%"&****! Anyway. probably be sent in to the mag within a couple of months.

Frank.  Oh yes, I have good stocks of wood and everything else needed., I like to be able to build anything I want without waiting for materials. I shall have to put in a big order to SLEC soon though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...