Building my new Fournier RF-4

Peter Miller

hi all .............
nice build pics,,,,,,, whilst the issue of the double sided plans is being sorted .
l think ive spotted another missing part in Peters build pics , it clearly shows there being 8 formers but on the mag plan there is only 7 / F2 with the rectangle cut out (in pics ) isnt there ,do you think it might show up on the wing plans !!!

ps is there going to be a cnc kit for this and if so how £££

cheers..................................marko

F-2 is on the wing plan. If you look on the "Whoops" thread I have posted that section of the wing plan there. You should be able to enlarge it to the exact size with any good PSC. That will allow you to build the fuselage at least

I expect there will be a set of parts. SLEC cut a set out for me but they will fit my original plan. No Guarentees that they will be accurate for the final published plan. Mind you, they should not be far out.

Just one small question, I know there was a fault with the plan by the Printers.

Also, where do I find the F2 Drawing?

Any chance of a list of Wood required for First time Builders please?

Ron

Edited By Ron Harrison on 07/06/2011 14:49:19

Edited By Ron Harrison on 07/06/2011 14:55:55

David. I did ask you to include my article on estimating wood sizes on the Forum.

IT seems that it might be a good idea, My article does tell people how to do it, even those with a modern education.

Even back in the late 80s when I was working in a school kids were not taught to think for them selves, just to pass exams.

Posted by Peter Miller on 07/06/2011 18:18:43:

IT seems that it might be a good idea, My article does tell people how to do it, even those with a modern education.

Even back in the late 80s when I was working in a school kids were not taught to think for them selves, just to pass exams.

Pete

As one of those kids taught in the 80s and 90s I don't appreciate the patronising tone and assumption we're all thick as two short planks.  Shame, as this thread has been otherwise interesting and enjoyable.

Edited By Simon B on 07/06/2011 21:14:12

I'm sorry you see it that way, Simon. I know this is off-an-interesting-topic and I'm sure it will be modded but I agreed with Peter for two reasons.

Firstly, as I head towards 60 I feel I've earned a right to have an opinion and sometimes express it publicly. A bit of glee at a fellow curmudgeon's comment can't be that wrong, can it?

I cannot speak for Peter but I don't believe he suggested that all younger people are as thick as two short planks. I interpreted it as an ironic comment on the perception held by older people that the 'progressive' education methods have failed many young people in the past twenty years or more.

When we were younger there weren't the pre-manufactured goods we all now enjoy and we had no choice but to solve our problems by our own ingenuity and doing things in what would now seem to be 'the hard way'. We were taught, and grew up, being self-reliant and inventive, learning everything from cooking sausages at least 10 feet above ground level to adjusting dwell angles on the distributor of my old Mini on a depressingly regular basis..........

If you built from a plan, it was assumed that you would study it assiduously and make up your own cutting list. It just wasn't done for you, full stop.

Do I feel envious of younger people for life being easier in so many respects now? I do - but I'm very happy to take advantage of those modern developments myself and I wouldn't expect you to de-invent the wheel..

Secondly, what do I think of young people? Rather a lot, actually, after all, I was one once! Right now, there are a lot of youngsters out in sandy places of whom I'm immensely proud and impressed, for example.

My overwhelming feeling is that my generation has probably failed young people because we were the ones who changed the education methods and I regret that many young people haven't been taught the self-reliance and initiative we have enjoyed.

Here endeth the lesson......it'll self-destruct before the night is out

Pete

I am sorry if I offended anyone. The opinion expressed about being taught to pass exams rather than think is not mine only, it is that expressed by several teachers that I know.

If you read my comment carefully you will see that I was not saying that youngsters were thick but that the eduction they get does not teach them to think for themselves. IT is the system, not the pupils that is at fault

AS Pete B says. we had to learn to work it out for ourselves. IT isn't hard. Take the average fuselage. How long are the sides? Under 36", good, that means one piece of wood. How wide are they, over 3"? so we will need two pieces of 4" wide stock.

Do we need 4" wide to roll round each half of the Turtle deck? How long is the doubler? If it is over 12" long we will need a piece of 1/32" ply two feet long. Can we get the formers out of one sheet of 1/8" balsa? How wide will it need to be. And so it goes on.

This also has the advantage that you really have to study the plan and that comes in handy when you get down to building.

I will try and find the date of the article for David again later this morning.

Edited By Peter Miller on 08/06/2011 08:22:25

I feel that the 30 FS is just about perfect scale power. Based on my experience with these models and my Slingsby I would say that the RF-4 enlarged to 100" would need a .48 or .52. FS

I have a 100" scale powered sailplane on my "To build" list and I will be using a .52 FS in it.

No need for apologies.

The West Wings Fournier is a nice little model, I reviewed it when it first came out about 17 years ago. However it is limited while mine is fuly aerobatic and a more substantial model.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/06/2011 08:12:55

There are many RCM&E Free plans that one looks at and puts in the pile of "maybe one day" projects, but I reckon that this one is up there with the RV3 as a definite condender to being placed very near the top of the to do list.

A very pretty subject and a fairly simple design (build wize) as well.

Hugh