Building my new Fournier RF-4

Peter Miller

SLEC cut a kit for me but they had not priced it when I last spoke to them. IT is cut to MY plan and so there could be slight variations betwen that and the one in the magazine.

Because of the obvious interest in this plan I imagine that My Hobbystore will arrange for a kit to be available in the future.

Yes, there is a LOT of difference between the West Wings one and mine. The West Wings model needs an .049, mine needs a .30 four stroke or .25 two stoke.

It just depends on what you are looking for as they are really very different. The West Wings model could almsot be classed as a park flyer being very light and quite a lot smaller.

As a new 'from Plan' Builder, can anyone confirm that, apart from the Rudder & Elevator being Soft Grade Balsa, the rest of the build, apart from Liteply & Wing Spars, on the 'Free Plan', could be from Medium Grade wood?

The reason for asking is that I have no stock of wood so I am starting completely from scratch.

Going to consider making the model for Electric Power, to maximise air time, so any extra information, i.e Motor & Prop, for use with either 2s or 3s 2200mah Li-pos would be appreciated.

How about programming the Ailerons as Flaps or for Crow Braking? 

Thanks

Ron

Edited By Ron Harrison on 20/06/2011 10:02:35

Spars should be very hard,

the rest can be medium. The rolled sheet for the tiurtle deck needs to be soft and bendable across the grain. Leading edge sheet meduim. the 1/8" sheet leading edge and leading edge capstrip can be soft. So can the 1/16" sheet across the bottom of the fuselage.

Wing tips and cowl soft sheet.

Under no circumstance do you program the ailerons as flaps. You will get a king size tip stall.

You could add airbrakes or spoillers at the point shown. Don't ask me how, I didn't bother.

Thanks for the information Peter. The Spoilerons was only a thought that you have now put out to grass. Thanks for that also.

Simon B - The WW Fournier is not that bad. Only 14" less Wingspan but it flies a treat on a Leccy Setup and stays aloft almost as long as you want it to.

I built the original kit, with the mods for Ailerons. Dropped a box and squashed the wings so bought a Wing Kit. There was no problem as the basic Fuz. design was virtually the same!

Ron

I just got my July number of RCM&E.

I wouldreallylike to build the Fournier FR-4

BUT

The draving i got has only Sheet 1 OF 2 printed on both sides............

Am i the only one without the wing section of the drawing?

/Patrik

Peter,
I've got the correct plans now. Emailed as suggested and within four days Mr Postman had pushed them through my letter box. Not wishing to go down the IC route do you or any other readers have any ideas as to a potential electric set up?

Washout wedges have the wide end to the trailing edge.

Washout is a reduction of the angle of incidence. The length does not matter, the angle does,

so long as the flat part of the underside of the wing is resting on the wedges from the main spar back to the TE it will be right.

Steve
Not quite sure what you are referring to. A picture would help.

Washout is a 'twist' built into a wing so that its tip has less of an angle to the airflow than the root.
This means that with the wedge at the wing tip its thick end should be flush with the trailing edge.

If you do it the wrong way it will have 'wash in' and be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to fly.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 07/11/2011 16:10:49

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My Free Plan Fournier is coming along a treat however, not having access to bending technology, where can I get the Wire Undercarraige from?

I could, at a pinch, create something from Wire but, Steerable Noselegs, of which I have a couple, are not long enough where it attaches to the Bulkhead. The Spring Area is the 'Stumbling Block' otherwise I could possible fabricate from an old Trainer Main U/C Leg

Suggestions please, and not on a Postcard thanks!

Ron

Just on the main wheel topic I did wonder if you'd looked into a retractable main wheel Peter.

I found this & wondered if it might be suitable....I'm sure the model would take the extra weight.....

The RF4 is on my to do list but I will need some time & a nice 5cc 4 stroke first! I quite fancied a retractable wheel on mine!!!