Building my new Fournier RF-4

Peter Miller

While on a trip to the attic a few weeks ago I was almost buried by a sudden avalanche of past issues of the mag.
When I surfaced the issue on top was July 2011 containing this plan and build article. Although I like Fourniers almost as much as Druine Turbulents, it must be a French thing, I had completly forgotten about it and I took its reappearance as a message from the Aeromodelling Gods. I now have such an urge to build this one that it may push Peggy Sue 2, on which progress is slow anyway due to essential repairs on other models, onto to back burner. I may even run the two builds in parallel. If I do decide to go ahead with the build I think I'll go for the SLEC CNC pack as a quicker option than cutting out all those wing ribs. Before anyone asks, yes I've also got the August issue with the corrected plan.

• 5 months later...

This was before they used to send me plans to proof.

The shade area are pieces of 1/8 sheet added to the sides. They are NOT the plat form.

If you look closely at the shaded areas you will see a dotted line. This is the 1/8" sheet plarform which is gluerd betwwen the sides onto which the tailplane is glued. You can just make this out in a photo on page one of the blog.

I hope this helps

• 2 years later...

It has been a bad few days.

I keep a reel of that wire in the workshop always.

To save a fiddly job threading the wire round and round the holes I double it to to make a 6 strand bundle. Then fold it in half and push it through the two holes like a staple, twist the ends together and solder.

Never had one come loose

On 19/07/2019 at 16:49, Fun Flyer said:

I've always found good quality white wood glue works very well with balsa.
It must be indicative of the age profile on the forum that no one asked, "what's Britfix?"

I have recently bought a kit for the Sterling Piper Tri Pacer which included wheels, a wooden prop, a plastic free flight fuel and AND TWO TUBES OF BRITFIX BALSA  CEMENT

I have not investigated them to see if they are still useable.

• 2 years later...