Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

Steve W-O,

My posting certainly wasn't aimed in your direction at all. I've just looked back through the thread and see that you made three choices - exactly as was asked, no more, no less. In fact, when I saw your choices I wished I'd come up with the same! I've always fancied a Bronco.........IIRC Tony has already done a large scale OV10, so he must like it as well...........

I have no issue at all with the posters who illustrate their choice and add a very brief justification - I think that is quite helpful and saves me Googling the lesser-known types. Puts my 3 line answer to shame!

My point was that it doesn't make life any easier to conduct a poll when people ignore a simple request and keep coming back with more and more - in one case, nine different aircraft! Surely, all one has to do is make a choice of three and, if you want to raise further suggestions, do it on this thread. If nothing else, it may just inspire someone who hasn't previously voted to consider the afterthought models.

Pete

Not comercially viable r6dan.  nothing wrong with the suggestion in here tho. its a great idea.

If there is one thing that needs to be taken into account by tony and the team.
The lysander was a good size. postage from the UK was reasonable. still expensive. the cost of the latest spitfire ,well that for us in other countries wont be happening as the cnc and vac parts are to expensive to import.
Worth a though guys.

Posted by r6Dan on 21/11/2010 15:58:35:
What about an edf  USS Enterprise,it seems almost everything has been done,there are more war birds than you can shake a stick at,they are getting boring and most commercial planes have been done to death too.  

Edited By r6Dan on 21/11/2010 15:59:37

OK Dan, just out of interest, let's take this proposal seriously as you say.

Well, I can see where we'd get the thrust - two EDF's, and I can see where we'd get the lift - with a bit of a compromise on the shape of the disc. But where would we get the control surfaces from?

A second problem - the pod bit below and the two engine pods themselves would have to weigh virtually nothing surely? The centre of lift is going to be somewhere near the middle of that disc, right? But we are going to end up with a CoG well well behind that - and that's very bad news for stability!

If its a fully built up model how do you take-off and land it? Retracts? Those pods look awfully fragile for belly landings?

BEB

There's another point of course - the Enterprise is a spaceship, designed to travel through a vacuum - and thus has no aerodynamic surfaces. Ergo, it is not an 'aircraft' and doesn't come within the context of this exercise.

What we need for this is a model-sized ion drive motor and a club-site sized vacuum.................

Pete

The whirlwind does look nice  I have seen a few people suggest a Beaufighter. Tony has done a 70in one in the past, I am building one at the moment

I vote for this 

And this

I find the 50's turbo prop's different but still in warbird territory. With both of these there is a lot of scope for scale features, fairey youngman flaps, arrestor hooks, bomb bays, ray-domes lots to get your scale teeth into. Of the two the gannet looks like the easier to live with being trike geared. You can also now get contra rotating brushless set ups

Not two ducts . just one in centre pod. Rudder on the leg connecting duct and two elevons on the rear of the disk. Cog not that much of a problem if the duct is kept to the front of the main pod. 
Certainly out of the box thinking, but great fun. 
If i remember last years chat spawned an attempt at a fockewulf canard, fw32?

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 21/11/2010 23:47:28:
kiwi g

sounds like you have it designed pretty clearly there, I can see that, maybe its time you set pencil to paper?

Nah mate . Im whats called the idea man.
you can draw it. Id just build it if I wanted one.

BEB your right about the centre of lift. but if the duct was far enough forward , then maybe. after all looking at the flyfly mirage with its engine and duct at the rear and a delta, well that just doesnt look right but it flys great. typically the battery can help with cog.
anyway alittle side tracked here,. it might be easier to build the DHswallow
or     WHIRLWIND

Edited By kiwi g on 22/11/2010 04:23:48

How about the very pretty Hornet Moth

available in military or civil markings!

or this for a giggle

A slingsby T21 Sedbergh modified with a 440cc Fuji robin 2 stroke and pusher prop from a microlight. It flew very well!!

Edited By Andrew Pratt on 22/11/2010 21:49:43

Posted by A.A. Barry on 19/11/2010 09:51:43:
Kiteflying person, this pic below WAY out shines the Mossie
you know who
 In the words of the great Tennis prophet " You have got to be kidding!"
I mean. . . oh  . . . If these planes had human characters, I would say the Whirlwind was the playground Bully. The Mosquito would be the unassuming, confident, good looking boy who always got the best looking girls. .

Anyway, to be honest, either one would be a great build. It's just I would rather build a mossie.

Phillip C

KIteflying person,
thanks for the kind words ..re Whirlwind, altho it didn't win many girls, it was a major influence on the result of the Deipete raid in 42/3, only 213 where built, due to the fact that R/R could not supply Merlin engines and the Pergrine had issues, ( onther storey)  BUT as a model  .
One of the most recogonized builders in the world Vance Mosher, has one in kit form, but not ready to be released yet, at 3mts ( 10ft) way to big for me, BUT if this builder, thinks it is a viable propasition, then .......who am I to argue with
I will send some pic's of this beauty
WHIRLY LOVERS  unite
B

Edited By A.A. Barry on 23/11/2010 13:58:30

Danny, yep it is complex IF you go the he has done it,............but as I have proven it does not have to be......................ANY WAY isn't that what scale modelings about........ if  was easy..........go and buy a park zone ME 109..... was Lysander easy  or the Hurricane????
B
 VOTE 1,2and 3 .....................WHIRLWIND...................by Westland