Biggles' Mess

Advice wanted...I ride a 3 year old Yamaha R6,and ride it like it was made to be ridden!!
my whole family says sooner or later I will kill myself on it so I was thinking......if I sell it I will get say,£4500 for it,that would buy me a 80 odd inch 50-80 cc 2 stroke and have lots of change... I really like the black and yellow Yaks,but can`t seem to find one,or maybe a Sukhoi of the same size, what do you lot think and who makes the best?It has to be 80"-90" for transportation and storage.

I hate to sound a killjoy Dan - but I fear your family are right. I rode bikes (as did many on here) until I was about 32. Then one day, going along the Formby by-pass, minding my own business, an idiot in a Volvo (it had to be a Volvo didn't it!) decided to change lanes and occupy the the bit of road I was already on . Went for brakes, big tank slapper at about 70mph - not fun. That time I managed to stay on - just - and lived to tell the tale. A few days latter a mate of mine - who was a superb rider, advanced motorcylist instructor, ex police rider - got seriously injured when a car came out of a junction and T-boned him.

Those two events convinced me - its not about what you do, its the other loonies that are the problem when you are riding a bike. By that point in my life I had a wife and two young kids so reluctantly I took the same decision as you and sold the bike. That was twenty years ago - I do miss it, but at least I'm still here and still in in one piece!

Re the model - sounds exciting. There are plenty of candidates in that size range I think - a lot of the IMAC type large Edges, Extras, Yaks etc. I would think you would be sploit for choice!

BEB

PS These days I drive a Volvo  

I am 32 too!! and have been riding since I could walk,had a few offs on track but nothing major..yet...
You are right,it is mostly other road users thats the thing that worries family 

Posted by Pete B on 03/01/2011 17:09:20:
..........and how are you going to get to work, Dan - bicycle?

Pete

I got an old car too!

Ah, that helps.....budget for a trailer for the Yak then.....you might end up with several!

I rode a bike for six years at work - I was taught well and in that time I didn't come close to killing myself but several other motorists had a darn good try! I count myself as a survivor - I've seen many, many who weren't...........

Pete

I have a tow bar on it,and I think I have a mate with an  old trailer I could pinch!

I just need feed back about what are the best built planes now.... 

I have to agree, you've had the fun, haven't run out of luck yet, so now is the time to move on.

I had a Katana in SA, my idea was that if I came off at 100kmh, I would be dead, so I may as well ride at 200+ and enjoy the ride.

I was factory trained on Honda, and we had a 750 road bike and  400 4S off road bike as company vehicles.

Even in cars, it was "voet in die hoek"   (foot in the corner) everywhere, somewhere along the line I slowed down, and I sold the Katana when I realised I had bee too lucky for too long.

But I don't know how I would have survived in the  UK, the roads are not quite as clear and wide (it is very different there now, the standard of driving is atrocious, and the roads are falling to pieces I'm told)

I wrote an MG off here going about 20mph on a roundabout, cops slid in the same place, diesel on the road. So pleased I wasn't on a bike.

We all have our stories, and we were all lucky, so maybe it is time for you to be the same way.

Have I missed something?

Why is "The Cafe", which has served it's purpose admirably, being closed down?  Why replace it with a thread that will serve exactly the same function?

Are there technical problems - the site can't cope with a single thread that has over 5,000 posts?

What is the bad luck / hard times BEB says are best forgotten?  I will wager that the same stories will be repeated by the same people on the new thread.

I gave up my Ducati ST2 when I realised looking at my three kids was more important to me than my carbon fibre pipes. I still remember crying as 'Bob' came to pick it up crushing the underside of the seat to within half an inch of the hugger then dragged the clutch all the way up to the top of my street... I can still hear the wailing...

Despite the nightmares I do keep drooling over GSXR 750's... must be one of those mid-life whatsits?

Anyway, here's some sweet sounds... listen through to about 5:00 mins and the guy starts to get a little bit too excited - if you're on here - sorry but it's hilarious.

Best,
Ian.

How about "The Shed".

No brainer in my eye's Dan.
If you have ridden for that long, i am sure you are well aware of the risks you have managed to avoid so far!
I am not a killjoy and normally say you should live life doing what you want but i do believe in fate, when its your time to go, its your time! I have been to too many bike accidents where the rider simply couldn't have done anything about it! At those speeds, there's only one winner!

Get rid of it, and get a BIG Yak etc... and that will keep everybody happy.
Also, will give you some extra spare cash to enjoy with the family who will be super happy you have got rid of it.

As i said, i am not normally a killjoy, but its a clear choice in my eyes. I love bikes, always have, but there's living on the edge, and living over the edge!!!

Gone Inn

Balsa Haven

Wing Nuts Place

Drop (Inn) Zone

The Tree Finders Club

English breakfast tea please and a bowl of Alpen mixed with Red Bull instead of milk. (Try it. Tastes a bit funny but the Red Bull gives you an immediate buzz and the Alpen, which takes longer to take effect, cuts in later. Just hold your nose)

An Irish entrepreneur has shut his pub on the moon complaining it had no atmosphere.

Sorry, had to be done.

Dan,

Hate to be a killjoy mate, but if you feel that way it's time tom launch the bike, I've ridden one since 1966 and apart from a few odd years I've always ridden one. Don't get me wrong, blowing the cobwebs away early on Sunday morning or a 300 mile ride doing the airfield trail around Lincoln is what it's all about. Even track days can be fun, but at the end of the end of the day what's more important, I've had my share of offs, even the nurses in the Langham ward LRI got to know me quite well, But I've decided to hang up my leathers for good since my recent heart attack, I and my family value my life too much.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Spice Cat on 03/01/2011 18:39:50:
Gone Inn

Balsa Haven

Wing Nuts Place

Drop (Inn) Zone

The Tree Finders Club

English breakfast tea please and a bowl of Alpen mixed with Red Bull instead of milk.

Sorry, had to be done.

Hi Spice cat, not sure about Red Bull giving you wings, more like wind.

I'll get me coat.